Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Weddings are dangerous!

InSanE
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Weddings are dangerous!

I was snapping some pics at a large (450 guest) wedding last Saturday, standing 251 cm from the stage behind me.
Suddenly I hear a loud bang (despite standing close to two large speakers) and feel the floor shake.
The band stops playing so I turn around to see them staring at me looking stupid 1 cm from the dj light stand with T bar and 4 huge lights. It took two man to put it back up, one was lucky me so I know how heavy the thing was. It would have been an instant kill since it hit the floor with the end of the T bar and left an impressive hole. Some 5 yo kid managed to tip it over (must have put an effort). It was between two large speakers and the stage, and the reason why I didnt have my lights there as usual. Its a shame my video guy was having a meal at the time, might have caught an epic clip

Oct 03, 2016 at 08:24 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Weddings are dangerous!

I haven't had any injuries or near misses I can remember at weddings but I did work with a guy that broke his arm, leg and a very expensive Video camera when he slipped on some spilt food on the dance floor at one wedding.

I did have an odd one last weekend.
I was supplying the photobooth for a 21st. I went to the club where the party was being held the day before to check the place out and see where I had to bring the stuff in etc.
There was a portable/ demountable stage type thing in the corner of the room which was about 2 ft high where I thought would be a good place to set up.

The function manager and his assistant also thought that...... That I would set it up on the stage and people could come up there for their pics.
I asked if it could not be moved and they said yes but seemed surprised I didn't want to set up on that and they were sure the booth would be fine if I put it down the end where the wall was. The other 3 sides were just a straight drop, no barriers or anything else.

I'm looking wondering if they were for real. The assistant picked up on what must have been my puzzled looks and said do you not want to put it there?
I said I don't really think it's a great idea because these kids are going to get carried away ( and or off their faces) and someone is going to walk or fall right off that.

I could see the light bulb come on above their heads as the mental picture set in.
Couldn't believe they didn't see something so obvious.
I could the flashing lights of an Ambulance and a lawsuit.

When I came back the next day to set up, the stage was gone and the function manager could not have been more helpful and friendly.
When I collected the pallet back drop I constructed next morning, he raved about the booth and said he was amazed how the kids were taking pics with it all night and asked for my card.

I said I just started the booth business and was having some printed but gave him my wedding card and said I'll bring some over in a couple of weeks when I get them. Then he was even more excited that I was a photographer not just did the booth and looks like I'm the new recommended shooter for the place.

Perhaps I should consult to them for obvious OH&S as well!

Oct 03, 2016 at 09:01 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Weddings are dangerous!

Forgot to add that there must be some really bad mojo involved, because one hour later I watched a pretty lady slip and hit the floor hard spilling red vine all over her fancy dress in the exact same spot where that light stand landed

Oct 03, 2016 at 09:12 AM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Weddings are dangerous!

Its a shame my video guy was having a meal at the time.......

I really thought that sentence was going to end differently, lol.

Oct 03, 2016 at 09:25 AM
nkneer

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Weddings are dangerous!

This happened last year at a wedding. I saw it start to happen and my journalism instincts kicked in so I held down the shutter.

2015-05-02_uh-oh_0001 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

2015-05-02_uh-oh_0002 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

2015-05-02_uh-oh_0003 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

2015-05-02_uh-oh_0004 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

Oct 09, 2016 at 11:31 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Weddings are dangerous!

Seriously, What moron idiot would mount speakers like that up on stands at that sort of a function in that location?
Look how close it came to those guys. literally, one beat of the music and one step backwards and they would have been wearing the thing! Good job no kid was standing there.

Maybe the clown who put them up there was thinking that they need to get them up so they can be heard better?
I have a pair of similar speakers to that and I took them to the same event I took the booth to with a small but very high quality amp that is rated at only 35W.

The speakers were up the front on the dance floor on the floor in the corners where they were not a trip hazard and the wires were taped down along the skirting.
Basic uncommon sense. You could hardly hear yourself think up the back at the bar with 150 people in between the way the kids had the things cranked. The kids were plugging in their Iphoneys and playing them through it and the people from the club came and asked for it to be turned down a few times as it was overpowering the music in the function room next door. I went out into the restaurant at one stage and I would have complained If I were there trying to eat my dinner with the racket coming through. The speakers are rated at 100W but the amp was only 35 so look out if you drove them full steam.
To think that you had to get the boxes up high so they could be heard would be a maniacal stupidity.

Those speakers probably weigh over 20Kg and to put them up in the air like that where a kid or someone could bump or push them over is just maniacal. Completely self centred irresponsible thinking to my mind.

I get endless safety sissy pussys going on at me on my YT channel every day. They get their frilly knickers in a bunch because I weld and use a plasma cutter in my vids and they carry on about me not wearing gloves as if I were handling 10Kv live wires. Few sparks don't worry me but I would NEVER put speakers up like that nor that light bar without a heap of sand bagging. I wouldn't put it in an exposed area like that either, it would have to go in a corner where it has some protection.

Anyone that set up gear like that is a complete and utter moron but I think that fact is already well demonstrated.
What amazes me is, in a place like the states where there is so much litigation and trying to make personal responsibility the other persons job, the DJ even thought to set something like that up and the venue allowed it. That really is dangerous and totally the fault of the DJ AND the venue if something did happen.

If I were working a venue where there was something so Irresponsible set up I WOULD say something to the venue management because with my luck, I'd be the poor sod who copped the thing in the head.

They would want to hope to hell it took me out if it did get me because if it didn't, some pelican would loose THEIR head on the spot.

Oct 09, 2016 at 11:36 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Weddings are dangerous!

glort wrote:
I get endless safety sissy pussys going on at me on my YT channel every day. They get their frilly knickers

What's your channel? I do not have frilly knickers but I probably need to hop over and learn things.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:26 PM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Weddings are dangerous!

India wedding: At least 22 killed by collapsing wall

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-39880162

May 11, 2017 at 01:52 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Weddings are dangerous!

I thought this was going to be a divorce-advisory PSA.

May 13, 2017 at 04:40 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.