New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · X-T2 and LR sharpening

rsk7
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X-T2 and LR sharpening

For those of you processing in LR what changes have you made to your sharpening with the X-T2?

For landscape work, I find the advice re: max out the Detail slider no longer valid. I've had to back that off to somewhere in the low/mid 40's. Otherwise I get a beady(?) kind of look that if I push the Amount much beyond low 30's I start to get that wormy look.

Oct 02, 2016 at 11:30 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X-T2 and LR sharpening

rsk7 wrote:
For those of you processing in LR what changes have you made to your sharpening with the X-T2?

For landscape work, I find the advice re: max out the Detail slider no longer valid. I've had to back that off to somewhere in the low/mid 40's. Otherwise I get a beady(?) kind of look that if I push the Amount much beyond low 30's I start to get that wormy look.

I wish I could dig up my reply to someone else's question regarding this!

Specifically in LR and XT2 - Radius low, 0.5 to 0.8 or so.

Amount maybe 40 (max!), detail I keep low, maybe 15-20 or so.

I'm finding overall, it just reacts differently than the 16MP images from my XT10 (in a good way).

Oct 02, 2016 at 11:54 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X-T2 and LR sharpening

I can't say what will work for you, but I'm definitely backing off the sharpness slider compared to my Canon lenses.

Oct 03, 2016 at 12:37 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X-T2 and LR sharpening

My suggestion is set loop to 1:1 and play with sliders until the relationship between them makes sense. I can get away with Amount 45 and Detail 82 if Masking is set in the 90's. Pull the Masking down and the Detail and Amount need to be reduce depending desired results. Eventually you will hit upon settings that work for you. I have base sharpening presets created, but always look at the image at 100% before moving on to another image.

Oct 03, 2016 at 01:53 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X-T2 and LR sharpening

Previously I had mentioned there is a different sharpening required for that of the XPro 2 and the XT2 surprisingly. I would have thought both would be using the same RAW algorithms.

The XPro 2 uses high Detail setting as mentioned close to 60 to 100, with sharpness amount varying for between 25 to 50 depending on your radius setting 0.5 to 1.0 and masking to suit.

The XT2 does not require much in the "Detail" setting normally, between 25 to 40, 60 max. As already mentioned use 100% or 1:1 view to fine tune the adjustment. I tend to use less radius usually 0.8 and touch more amount for the finer detail.

All these settings are different depending on which lens you are using. The 56 APD is very different from the 90/2. With the 90/2 there is virtually no sharpening needed, whereas with the 56 APD I sharpen for the eye lashes marginally reducing the radius sometimes to 0.5 and increase the amount. Once you have found the settings for a lens and f stop, I copy and paste the sharpening/noise reduction for the series of images.

Also for shots above 2500 ISO and depending on the exposure and lighting I use noise reduction between 5-20, detail 80 and color to 0 to 10 from the default of 25. I generally prefer fine grain luminescence noise over loss of detail. It is a fine line and comes down to personal preference.

Also if you are using C1Pro 9.3, it still does not read lossless compressed RAW files. The sharpening within C1Pro 9.3 is ideal and really no adjustment is now needed. There is a number of color profiles done by Scottie Wang on DPR to download for C1Pro 9.3 to emulate the different Fuji films presets.

Edited on Oct 03, 2016 at 04:03 PM · View previous versions

Oct 03, 2016 at 02:37 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X-T2 and LR sharpening

The thing I'm finding is that I don't need to apply sharpening as much anyway (if any at all) with these Fuji lenses, compared to my old Nikkors. I believe it has a lot to do with not only how sharp out of the box most of Fuji lenses are, but also the lack of an AA filter in the camera. Combined, it is a killer combo.

Oct 03, 2016 at 04:55 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X-T2 and LR sharpening

charles.K wrote:
Previously I had mentioned there is a different sharpening required for that of the XPro 2 and the XT2 surprisingly. I would have thought both would be using the same RAW algorithms...

Hmmm... I'm skeptical that the two cameras would use substantially different (if different at all) "algorithms," but having only the XPro2 and not the XT2, I'll have to take your word for it that you see differences.

Compared to the older 16MP Fujifilm camera that I used for over 3 1/2 years, I find that I use different sharpening settings with the 24MP files from the XPro2. My sharpening workflow is perhaps a bit atypical, since I use ACR for my raw conversion, then moving the converted images into Photoshop as "smart layers," which retain the ability to return to ACR for touchup later if needed.

In ACR I'm typically doing a very tiny bit of smart sharpening, along the lines of amount 12-15 and radius 1.0. I raise the mask slider to mostly constrain this to edges and to keep it away from smooth gradient and solid tone areas. I may also do a bit of noise reduction in ACR in the same dialog as the sharpening settings — but I find that I do considerably less NR with the newer files than with the older, especially when shooting at higher ISOs. (I do handheld night street photography, frequently using ISO 1600-3200, and occasionally higher.) I also frequently, but not always, raise the "clarity" slider in ACR to about 12.

I do another round of more targeted "smart sharpening" in Photoshop. Compared to the older 16MP files, I can use slightly higher amount and a larger radius with the 24MP files — actually using settings that are a bit closer to what I might typically use with my Canon files. (In the past the Fujifilm files didn't need — or couldn't tolerate — quite as much sharpening.)

Dan

Oct 03, 2016 at 10:08 AM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X-T2 and LR sharpening

Thanks to my slightly extensive convalescence, and the wonderful links given to me by members here, I came across a wonderfully thorough article about LR processing.

The article is here:

http://petetakespictures.com/blog/2015/5/4/fuji-x-adventures-in-north-america-finding-your-look

For me, I believe that sharpness and masking go hand-in-hand for my portraits and landscapes. Here is whatthe author had to say about both:

Now for sharpening. Pretty simple really. The Fuji lenses are already damn sharp, and if you slide detail up to full it fixes Adobe’s inclination to soften everything X-Trans sensor shaped. Detail maxed, only raise the actual sharpness amount by a little. I’m talking 30-35 with 40 at the maximum for slightly softer lenses such as the cheaper zooms and the 18mm. Please don’t go any higher than this. You really don’t need it. It’s an insult to a Fujinon lens. For radius, 0.8 is good for intricate landscapes. You’ll find 1.2 – 1.5 good for punchy portraits and architecture. Again,...Show more

Oct 03, 2016 at 10:19 AM
Scott Grant
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X-T2 and LR sharpening

gdanmitchell wrote:
Hmmm... I'm skeptical that the two cameras would use substantially different (if different at all) "algorithms," but having only the XPro2 and not the XT2, I'll have to take your word for it that you see differences.

Compared to the older 16MP Fujifilm camera that I used for over 3 1/2 years, I find that I use different sharpening settings with the 24MP files from the XPro2. My sharpening workflow is perhaps a bit atypical, since I use ACR for my raw conversion, then moving the converted images into Photoshop as "smart layers," which retain the ability to return to ACR
...Show more

Agreed. I keep hearing how the X-T2 files are different than the files from the X-Pro2.

I've been shooting with an X-T2 since April and can tell you without a doubt the files are the same. They use the same sensor and are processed using the same processor using the same film profiles.

As for sharpening i use an amount of 35 or so. Radius is around 1. Detail still at 100% and masking between 15-30%. Seems to mimic reasonably close to JPEG sharpening in camera.

Oct 03, 2016 at 12:24 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · X-T2 and LR sharpening

gdanmitchell wrote:

Compared to the older 16MP Fujifilm camera that I used for over 3 1/2 years, I find that I use different sharpening settings with the 24MP files from the XPro2. My sharpening workflow is perhaps a bit atypical, since I use ACR for my raw conversion, then moving the converted images into Photoshop as "smart layers," which retain the ability to return to ACR
...Show more

There is a difference the amount of "Detail" that you use in Lr CC. I have RAW files with XPro 2, and I use typically about 60 - 95, similar to Pete Bridgwood's article on sharpening. I have saved my sharpening settings as presets for the XPro 2 and with the XT2 they will over sharpen with the same settings. The main adjustment is "Detail" and you no longer require the higher settings. I have been using default typically now, sometimes tweaking it to 25 - 45. My feeling is that Fuji working with Adobe, may have changed some of inbuilt RAW corrections. I did find it odd why the high "Detail" settings were required in Lr CC. No doubt the upcoming FW update for the XPro2 will be similar.

Here are two recent examples with the XT2 with the second image in each set using the XPro2 sharpening settings. The difference is for the XT2 the detail is 40 and 90 respectively for the shot of the rainbow lorikeet with 100-400 lens, and the detail is 25 and 80 respectively of the model with the 56 APD. Both shots with the high detail settings when viewing at 100% or 1:1 start to show a bubbling or artifacts. In the lorikeet shot the back starts to show artifacts and the model's eyes start to show almost bubbling with the high settings.

Oct 03, 2016 at 03:57 PM
iamjoenish
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · X-T2 and LR sharpening

I agree with Charles' findings. While the X-Pro2 and X-T2 obviously share the same sensor, there is indeed a slight difference with the way each file behaves while sharpening in Lightroom.

Oct 03, 2016 at 10:03 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.