Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Lightroom 6 upgrade - why do they make it so hard to buy?

Kmccarthy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom 6 upgrade - why do they make it so hard to buy?

I just spent the last hour trying to purchase a Lightroom 6 upgrade, and still no success. First of all, it was impossible to find the upgrade on the web site. After 15 minutes, I gave up and chatted with support. They sent me a special link which seemed to allow me to buy it. I then received a order confirmation that said the order was pending and could take up to 24hrs to process!! How can it take 24hrs to process an online order in 2016 for a software download? Amazon could ship me virtually anything in 24hrs. If it wasn't such a pain to migrate to another platform I'd ditch Adobe right now...

Edited on Oct 03, 2016 at 06:15 AM · View previous versions

Oct 02, 2016 at 06:25 PM
jstrawman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom 6 upgrade - why do they make it so hard to buy?

Kmccarthy wrote:
They sent me a special link which seemed to allow me to buy it.

This Link?

https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/software._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_mostpopular.html

Oct 02, 2016 at 06:44 PM
fqo63ta
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom 6 upgrade - why do they make it so hard to buy?

Well...you're not alone.
I just went through the same nonsense trying to purchase an up-grade for Elements.
I wanted to purchase the up-grade outright....couldn't do that. With the purchase in my 'cart', clicked 'checkout' and nothing happened.
OK...use it as a trial for a few days.

Then it wouldn't install. Chat with support, finally got it installed...still a trial.
Next day, a phone call to support...she took my CC info and gave me my registration key.

I have C1 and like it a lot...I'm also about ready to dump Adobe....never saw a company make it so hard to pay for and use their product.. Sheesh!

Tad

Oct 02, 2016 at 06:56 PM
Kmccarthy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom 6 upgrade - why do they make it so hard to buy?

jstrawman wrote:
This Link?

https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/software._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_mostpopular.html

Did you actually try clicking on that link? You will get redirected to a Lightroom CC monthly subscription page. I don't want a subscription. I just want to pay the $79 to upgrade my perpetual license from 5 to 6.

Why does Adobe make it so difficult? I'm convinced it's impossible to do from the web site. My transaction is still pending... I contacted customer service again and they said they couldn't help me today. Somebody would call me on Monday. I have a feeling they are going to try to upsell me to CC. How frustrating. Adobe used to be a decent company.

Oct 02, 2016 at 08:45 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom 6 upgrade - why do they make it so hard to buy?

They make it difficult to buy the standalone because they want you on CC, and they hope that by making it hard to find you will give up trying and buy CC out of frustration. Nothing more complex than that

Oct 03, 2016 at 06:45 AM
Blutengelnouta

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom 6 upgrade - why do they make it so hard to buy?

I've already migrated to Capture One, free for Sony users and only $50 if you want the pro Sony version. The colours are soooo much better and more correct in CO compared to LR. I've tried post processing the same picture in LR and CO and the result is always better in CO. The only thing I don't like in CO is the noise reduction, it doesn't allow crushing details to completely eliminate noise like in NR which is useful for night and aurora shots for example. But for those times I send the picture from CO to DxO. The LR library is better too, but CO is so much faster that I don't really mind.

Oct 03, 2016 at 07:11 AM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom 6 upgrade - why do they make it so hard to buy?

Kmccarthy wrote:
I just spent the last hour trying to purchase a Lightroom 6 upgrade, and still no success. First of all, it was impossible to find the upgrade on the web site. After 15 minutes, I gave up and chatted with support. They sent me a special link which seemed to allow me to buy it. I then received a order confirmation that said the order was pending and could take up to 24hrs to process!! How can it take 24hrs to process an online order in 2016 for a software download? Amazon could ship me virtually anything in 24hrs. If
...Show more

This is by design. Adobe does not want to sell you a perpetual license, they want you to rent CC.

Oct 03, 2016 at 09:23 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom 6 upgrade - why do they make it so hard to buy?

Kmccarthy wrote:
Did you actually try clicking on that link? You will get redirected to a Lightroom CC monthly subscription page. I don't want a subscription. I just want to pay the $79 to upgrade my perpetual license from 5 to 6.

That link works, but there is a trick to buying it - you need to "add to cart" directly on that page. Don't click on the link to the LR info page. Once you have it in your cart you can edit the purchase from "full" to "upgrade".

Oct 03, 2016 at 10:09 AM
Kmccarthy
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom 6 upgrade - why do they make it so hard to buy?

I finally received my license, 24hrs later. What a horrible sales experience. They make it very frustrating for customers to buy what they want, hoping they will give up and buy what Adobe wants. I'm glad I don't own any Adobe stock. They seem like a prime target to be disrupted by a new entrant. Hopefully I can live with LR6 for a few years until something better comes along. Only reason I upgraded was for the facial recognition feature, which other competing products have had for years.

Oct 03, 2016 at 10:30 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightroom 6 upgrade - why do they make it so hard to buy?

The "update" feature in my Lightroom 6 doesn't work, and never has. Instead I have to go spelunking Adobe's [upsell] website for 30 minutes to try to find a stand-alone update, which they apparently make very hard to find.

I gave up and downloaded Lightroom 6 again, in the hopes that it would be the 6.7 version I am looking for.

Nope, it overwrote my 6.6 installation to 6.0.

It feels like the worse level of coercion one could suffer, really. I'm an angry and dissatisfied user. I'm very busy (like anybody these days) and don't have time nor patience for Adobe's shenanigans/machinations.

Oct 23, 2016 at 03:09 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lightroom 6 upgrade - why do they make it so hard to buy?

Is this link any use?

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/keeping-lightroom-up-to-date.html

Oct 23, 2016 at 03:18 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lightroom 6 upgrade - why do they make it so hard to buy?

See if this link works for you:

http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2015-updates-links-windows.html#lightroom

It is incredible that Adobe would not provide a direct download link to their perpetual license holders. I am guessing it is also borderline illegal. What you can do as a customer is complain, loudly and often, on their forums, on their facebook page, and any other site you might find that has the potential to embarrass them. Adobe does not want to support you if are not paying monthly, that is the bottom line.

Oct 23, 2016 at 03:24 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lightroom 6 upgrade - why do they make it so hard to buy?

Tusen takk, 15Bit! Yes, that link leads somewhere of use.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-downloads.html

Look for:

What if the computer that Lightroom is on is not connected to the internet?

and click on it. It then leads to this link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-downloads.html

Look for:
Download Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
in the middle of the screen, then unfurl the menu. Scroll down and you'll find a direct download link to the 6.7 updater, as well as other files.

Aubscx, thanks for the link, that is a very useful page that I will bookmark.

Adobe: you're big and still own the market. It's an inexact science, melding business plans with creative software, but the past few years your behavior towards the end user is, in my opinion, improper.

Oct 23, 2016 at 03:37 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.