New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Rethinking my lenses

JoshmkII

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Rethinking my lenses

Roy, in my experience shooting here, well, I started with an 800mm. If a subject is 100 yards +, it needs to be doing something interesting and have nice scenery around it. There is not really any substitute for distance.

"Bad air", oh yeah! I still remember somebody a year or two ago saying "heatwave in winter??".

Edited on Oct 15, 2016 at 08:05 AM · View previous versions

Oct 15, 2016 at 07:49 AM
JoshmkII

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Rethinking my lenses

@owlseyes... well, a Nikon dealer agrees it seems that for low light the d500 isn't any better than the d800... I've also compared notes with another shooter here who purchased the D500 a little while ago.. she seems far from impressed on the high ISO claims .

I'm gonna play with it till Monday, hopefully I find it takes decent shots at normal ISO because I really like 10 shots a second

Oct 15, 2016 at 07:53 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Rethinking my lenses

JoshmkII wrote:
wow, trying out the d500... really? high ISO is a joke, anything over 1000 is a wasted shot, and Im not impressed with anything else about the camera, other than 10 shots in a second...

have you? tried out the D500 that is.

Oct 15, 2016 at 08:17 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Rethinking my lenses

JoshmkII wrote:
wow, trying out the d500... really? high ISO is a joke, anything over 1000 is a wasted shot, and Im not impressed with anything else about the camera, other than 10 shots in a second...

Oct 15, 2016 at 08:21 AM
JoshmkII

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Rethinking my lenses

Yes sjms, I have it right now..

Used it and my D800 shooting moose at 60 yards.. same lenses and same light..the d500 didn't do any better than the d800 in ISO.

Oct 15, 2016 at 08:27 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Rethinking my lenses

show us. well, for me I shoot with all NR off in my camera. and do the work in post. generally takes me but a few minutes. no, it is not 100% all the time. just as in camera. I do take in account for pixel density differences as you must too thus the "noise" will be proportional.

Edited on Oct 15, 2016 at 11:14 AM · View previous versions

Oct 15, 2016 at 08:44 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Rethinking my lenses

From the rainforest in Sumatra (Indonesia) with not too much light.
Just some basic LR PP on my laptop, I'll do better when I'm back home.

Oh, it's its thumb.

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:52 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Rethinking my lenses

JoshmkII wrote:
@owlseyes... well, a Nikon dealer agrees it seems that for low light the d500 isn't any better than the d800... I've also compared notes with another shooter here who purchased the D500 a little while ago.. she seems far from impressed on the high ISO claims .

I'm gonna play with it till Monday, hopefully I find it takes decent shots at normal ISO because I really like 10 shots a second

Wow. Just wow. Talk about BS. If I could be arsed I'd find one higher but this is at 2,000 (and heavily cropped too. Bird was about 60m away and with 20m to the background, which helps with the separation). This wasn't taken with an 'exotic' either, it was the 200-500. BTW I have had both the D800 and D800e previously.

The D500 is far more than just fine at high ISOs so your friend doesn't know what she's talking about. Hundreds of other good examples on FM too .. suggest you start searching on here before returning a perfectly good (nay, excellent) camera.

Oct 16, 2016 at 09:15 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.