New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · BushHawk

evan47
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · BushHawk

Are there any BushHawk users on here?
I would like to know just how good they are and what the build quality is like on them.
Is it worth using the built in shutter release or not?
Is it easy to attach to a monopod or does it need to be used from the shoulder at all times?

Oct 01, 2016 at 01:22 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · BushHawk

They're not for everyone. I've been rollin' with 'em since the mid 80's.
I'll often take a few down to BdA and let folks try them out for themselves.
The shoulder stock takes some time to get used to. Tough for well endowed
women. I cramp up in the neck after about 20 minutes or so. I enjoy a strong
upper body so have foregone that piece probably the last 10 yrs or so. The old
style had a trigger to fire with an appropriate cable. Newer ones have a 2 position
(focus/fire) and would be preferred especially if you're using the front ext. handle.
The rig is light and quite durable. My oldest current one is 15+ and I'll use it every
week if not more often. You can easily perch it on a monopod, if that floats yer boat.
They're a bitch to use with a zoom lens unless you have a third hand. I could write for
an hour on the merits of using one FOR ME. Personally, I'd see if you can try one out or
plop down your hard earned and consider any resale loss as a rental fee. I have a dozen
buddies that swear by 'em and know many more that swear at 'em. Oh, don't use a trigger
I'm a dyed in the wool rear button AF'er gentle index on da shutter guy. Use da 'hawk on my
200 f2/300 f2.8/500 f4/150-600S/200-500's. I can handhold 1X FL and get tack sharp captures
w/o employing VR. YMMV but GL.

Oct 01, 2016 at 01:49 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · BushHawk

Check the B/S forum. I have one I just bought from Trench with front grip for sale.

Oct 01, 2016 at 03:38 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · BushHawk

I bought, tried and sold a Bushawk. For me the weight remained forward (even though I had a better grip) so I went to a system that transferred the weight of my Camera and front heavy lens rearward.

Oct 02, 2016 at 10:00 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · BushHawk

I used one for years and truly enjoyed it. Listen to trenchmonkey as he is old as dirt and has been using one for a long time. ~ Jim

Oct 02, 2016 at 10:31 AM
Flying Oyster

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · BushHawk

I seriously considered one but ultimately passed. IMO this makes the camera setup look too much like an assault weapon to the uninitiated and paranoid ignorant (especially from a distance).
If I walked around outside with one of these, someone would yell "GUN" and I'd get shot before the police realized it was just a camera. True story.

Oct 02, 2016 at 10:38 AM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · BushHawk

Wait the company's back in business? I remember learning about Bushhawk from where when people were wondering where they went.

Oct 03, 2016 at 04:12 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · BushHawk

Yeah, Closed down the US gig a few years ago and launched
BushHawk Europe. Less choices and more money...progress??

Oct 03, 2016 at 04:42 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · BushHawk

There is a reason why BushHawk US closed down. Not enough sales and poor service.

The vast majority of wildlife photographers neither wanted, nor needed, to use one. Just look at how many people you see not using one. I have never seen anyone using one.

If it was that much of an advantage to use one, there would be plenty of them around.

Oct 03, 2016 at 07:24 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · BushHawk

Flying Oyster wrote:
I seriously considered one but ultimately passed. IMO this makes the camera setup look too much like an assault weapon to the uninitiated and paranoid ignorant (especially from a distance).
If I walked around outside with one of these, someone would yell "GUN" and I'd get shot before the police realized it was just a camera. True story.

Seriously...

Oct 04, 2016 at 09:06 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · BushHawk

DGC1 wrote:
Seriously...

Look where he is, Maryland. Very different from Texas ;-)

Oct 04, 2016 at 11:43 AM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · BushHawk

I am using a gitzo monopod with a benro 3 leg base. really compact and not long to setup.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1083926-REG/benro_vt2_3_leg_locking_base.html

I also had a think thank pouch modified with the gitzo monopod holster. I had a belt made and now I can carry my monopod with gimball head on my back leaving me free hands and ready for action. Loving the setup,lightweight and quick to deploy.

Oct 04, 2016 at 12:07 PM
Flying Oyster

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · BushHawk

DGC1 wrote:
Seriously...

I'm totally serious

3 years ago while taking pictures from the Kent Narrows bridge in MD, a local police car came flying up with it's lights and siren on. The officer jumped out of the car with his gun drawn. While aiming his gun at me, he screamed at me to drop the weapon! I told him it was just a camera and set it down on the asphalt (D600 gripped w/ Tokina 400mm 5.6).

After a few tense minutes of explaining what I was doing and giving him my ID, he relaxed. He said he was responding to a reported jumper call. Jumper?? WTF was the gun about !!
With this experience in mind, if I was using a BushHawk, he probably would have emptied his clip into me. I'm not anti gun, I'm anti dying to one. (IMO, the officer was heavy into steroids since he was huge and could barely fit into his uniform).

Oct 04, 2016 at 12:50 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · BushHawk

Sounds like a good reason to relocate...

Oct 04, 2016 at 02:22 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · BushHawk

For every one these type of stories there are positive tales to tell as well.
I shoot events with the 200 f2 BushHawk'd and a 17-35 on my chest via
Cotton Carrier Vest. First thing I do is approach Security/EMT's, etc. They
all seem to get a kick the rig and I'm often granted access reserved for TV
crews and the like. I've been "reported" out in the field stalking Sandhills as
"there's a guy with a LARS rocket down by the river" or "old hippie with rifle
out in the pasture". I have permission (keys to gates) from landowners but a
good citizen not familiar with the Santa dude sees me and the call is made. I'll
wind up making a new friend or two and the word continues to spread about this
harmless old guy takin' pictures. Nurturing these relationships I now have several
dozen spotters who call me when something rare or unusual appears. Golden Eagle
and Mexican Grey Wolf are a couple of firsts I wouldn't have otherwise gotten. Don't
live in the city and I doubt I'd take any chances sporting the 'Hawk thereabouts. Lots
of guys out West use 'em, I shoot with several and know many FM'ers who do as well.
Again, they're not for everyone...so no need to get yer panties in a bunch. Back OT

Oct 04, 2016 at 02:29 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · BushHawk

rick2906 wrote:
I am using a gitzo monopod with a benro 3 leg base. really compact and not long to setup.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1083926-REG/benro_vt2_3_leg_locking_base.html

I also had a think thank pouch modified with the gitzo monopod holster. I had a belt made and now I can carry my monopod with gimball head on my back leaving me free hands and ready for action. Loving the setup,lightweight and quick to deploy.

First I've heard about using a gimbal with a monopod...how does that work?

Oct 04, 2016 at 07:11 PM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · BushHawk

Works really good . Love it, I was using my tripod before and it gets annoying to adjust and gets in the way when you are tracking birds or whatever. The monopod with gimball head and the trifeet is really nice. I love it. Tripod still rule for landscape and long exposure shots. Plus I like to also be able to have both my hands free to take spontaneous shot if the occasion rise. Also nice for hiking

Oct 04, 2016 at 11:56 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · BushHawk

Mr. Monkey may be old but he is STRONG too. I suspect that is the secret of his Bush Hawk success (besides a winning personality).

Oct 05, 2016 at 05:29 AM
glassartist
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · BushHawk

Couple years ago I tried to get a built-in shutter release from Bush-rip-off. They processed my CC, then disappeared in the wind with no response to emails, calls, or BBB complaints. I wouldn't trust them domestic or international. All I'm saying is that if you need a mod or repair, you are on your own in the used market. I sold my rig (and yes told the buyer that they were closed) and switched to Wimberley - less mobile but much happier.

Oct 05, 2016 at 08:29 AM
TomCr49

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · BushHawk

BushHawk USA closed when the proprietor got seriously ill and couldn't continue the business any more. I had excellent service from them for many years. Any time I would order something, Dave would always toss in an extra goodie. My BushHawk was always a conversation starter when I would use it. People were curious about it. I must have sold a half dozen of them from people who'd ask about it and I'd let them try it out for a few shots. I've ordered one thing from BushHawk Europe and also got good service, but I miss dealing with Dave and his crew.

Oct 06, 2016 at 01:39 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.