Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Nikon 35mm 1.4G and Zeiss 35mm 1.4 comparison - wide open only

tyronfall

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 35mm 1.4G and Zeiss 35mm 1.4 comparison - wide open only

Hi all, just putting this up in case anyone is interested in the way the 2 lenses draw wide open.

Not a scientific test as I wanted to test these lenses for myself how I saw I would use them. Handheld and primarily for portrait style and close up photography. For landscapes I would travel with a lighter lens.

I used a D800 with a Dk-17M magnifying eyepiece. For the Nikon 35mm I used autofocus only and did not use manual override. I only focused the Zeiss through the viewfinder and did not use live view.

RAWs and jpegs can be accessed here. The set 9 images are more so you can see the difference between bokeh balls than anything else.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t81j123ivl29xjw/AACea2DqQfNhRQb_wDSL_4mca?dl=0

Sorry not an upload member so I can't post samples here. But if someone would like to post on following post please do.

Well hope some of you find it useful. Cheers.

Oct 01, 2016 at 12:56 AM
Bohemien
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 35mm 1.4G and Zeiss 35mm 1.4 comparison - wide open only

Interesting, thanks! Now I'm an even happier Nikon owner.

Markus

(Clarification: I find the differences are minuscule, and the Nikon generally has a bit warmer rendering to my eyes, of course that's something that is easily changed in post. I like the Nikkor's bokeh better, though, and it has AF, so: I have what I want. )

Oct 01, 2016 at 05:16 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 35mm 1.4G and Zeiss 35mm 1.4 comparison - wide open only

Sorry not an upload member so I can't post samples here.
ANYONE can post pics for free on FM
Simply host your pics from Flickr, Photobucket, etc.
The Sigma 35 f1.4 'A' should be included, if you're gonna do this right.

Oct 01, 2016 at 07:29 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 35mm 1.4G and Zeiss 35mm 1.4 comparison - wide open only

If it's all about MF lenses then the Samyang/Bower 35mm F1.4 is excellent wide open. One of the few that are.

Oct 03, 2016 at 08:44 AM
davidrwilliams
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 35mm 1.4G and Zeiss 35mm 1.4 comparison - wide open only

Thank you for posting this - I have and use both lenses and find that they do render differently from each other with the Zeiss providing significantly higher micro-contrast once stopped down, but the Nikon providing a great general purpose 35.

I did shoot with the Sigma 35 Art for some time but didn't favour it's image quality as compared to either the Zeiss or Nikon.

We're spoiled for choice in high quality lenses with different renderings - it's a great time to be a lens connoisseur.

Oct 04, 2016 at 12:39 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.