Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

CMcG01
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

Fuji has a hold on me.

I have the 14, 18-55, 90, 60 macro very soon, likely a 35 f2 before long. The XE1 is nice, the XT1 with the 14 and 90 is a game changer for me and making me rethink what I should and shouldn't keep. Poor large bulky beloved Canon. I already have the 16-35, but I am using my Fuji almost exclusively and consolidating to Fuji seems like the way to go.

Has anybody compared the 10-24 to Canon's large but otherwise incredible 16-35 f4? Similar aperture, both IS, clearly a size and weight difference, but I haven't seen a comparison yet.

Sep 30, 2016 at 01:34 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

At this point, camera makers are in an "arms race" regarding lenses. Everyone is trying to make the best they can for their desired price point. There may be niggles between which one is sharper where, or who has better CA control, but I am at the point that close is good enough.

Given your love for Fuji, I would just switch. Do your due diligence on where the Fuji is strongest along its focal length range, and then just pull the trigger.

Sep 30, 2016 at 02:33 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

I was a Canonite for a long number of years. Had a 16-35 f2.8. Great lens, but not any superior to the amazing 10-24 which is my new favorite. I never thought I'd lean on a wide lens like this much, but my outing the other day proved different. It will be my go to landscape lens no doubt.

© traveler 2016

Alpine Loop 1

© traveler 2016

Cascade Spring

Sep 30, 2016 at 06:27 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

The 10-24 is for me more like a 10-20, long end softens. 16-35 is more consistent through its range.

Sep 30, 2016 at 07:11 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

must be a copy dependent issue as the one I was using was sharp across the entire range, NOT softer at the 36mm equivalent end. I fully expected it to be, but it wasn't.

Sep 30, 2016 at 08:28 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

traveler wrote:
must be a copy dependent issue as the one I was using was sharp across the entire range, NOT softer at the 36mm equivalent end. I fully expected it to be, but it wasn't.

Lucky you, others have seen it, here's just one example:

http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-fujifilm-fujinon-xf-10-24mm-f4-r-ois/2/

http://admiringlight.com/blog/fuji-10-24mm-vs-fuji-14mm-f2-8-fuji-23mm-f1-4/2/

And photozone's MTFs:

http://www.photozone.de/fuji_x/887-fuji1024f4ois?start=1

Doesn't mean it's not a fine lens, just good to know to play to its strengths. I like mine a lot esp for urban scenes wherever it's tight.

Edited on Oct 01, 2016 at 05:25 PM · View previous versions

Oct 01, 2016 at 12:30 PM
CMcG01
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

I read about the 16-35 having a softer 35 but I never noticed it, do you still consider the Fujis long end competent, Mike?

Overall I agree what's been said so far, I'm not looking for perfection, just the knowledge I can leave some known great lenses and camera and not feel in hindsight that it was a rash decision. There really are so many great lenses and systems out now it's hard to go too wrong.

Oct 01, 2016 at 04:05 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

CMcG01 wrote:
I read about the 16-35 having a softer 35 but I never noticed it, do you still consider the Fujis long end competent, Mike:

Very competent, Chris, just not as sharp as it is from 10-20mm where it's really good, that's all. (More noticeable in the corners, I think.) Use it all the time. If I didn't want the flexibility of a wide zoom, I'd have picked up the 14/2.8. But I like having the range and the OIS. Plenty sharp, yep.

Edited on Oct 01, 2016 at 05:31 PM · View previous versions

Oct 01, 2016 at 05:14 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

Mike Tuomey wrote:
Very competent, Chris, just not as sharp as it is from 10-20mm where it's really good, that's all. Use it all the time. If I didn't want the flexibility of a wide zoom, I'd have picked up the 14/2.8. But I like having the range and the OIS. Plenty sharp, yep.

I agree, I've gone out with just the 10-24 before. The first time I did it as I was having dinner at the end of the day and a couple asked me to take their picture as it was their anniversary or something like that. So I did at 24mm and when I got home and looked at it I was really impressed, very sharp in the center and it rendered the marina behind them very softly and nicely. Had some pop to it and really makes it versatile having 20-24 in there with OIS. I have no problem just taking this lens if I want to focus on wide or maybe bring the 35 too. You can do a lot with it.

Oct 01, 2016 at 05:23 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

rbf_ wrote:
... I've gone out with just the 10-24 before. The first time I did it as I was having dinner at the end of the day and a couple asked me to take their picture as it was their anniversary or something like that. So I did at 24mm and when I got home and looked at it I was really impressed, very sharp in the center and it rendered the marina behind them very softly and nicely. Had some pop to it and really makes it versatile having 20-24 in there with OIS. I have no problem just
...Show more

Good point about the bokeh. Atypical of wide zooms, the 10-24 at f/4 does bg blur pretty nicely at about 18-24.

That's my out-the-door kit too, one body, the 10-24 and the 35/1.4. Light and tight!

Oct 01, 2016 at 05:29 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

Mike Tuomey wrote:
Good point about the bokeh. Atypical of wide zooms, the 10-24 at f/4 does bg blur pretty nicely at about 18-24.

That's my out-the-door kit too, one body, the 10-24 and the 35/1.4. Light and tight!

Yeah I was pretty surprised myself! Gotta love light & tight!

Oct 01, 2016 at 05:36 PM
CMcG01
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

Still haven't gotten to selling my Canon 16-35 but keep thinking about the 10-24. I've only used the Canon one day in the last 4 months or so but LOVED the colors I got from it..... the 10-24 + 35 1.4 sounds like a great setup, though I can do 14+35 now.

First World Problems!

Dec 01, 2016 at 10:46 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

I have not looked closely at this lens, but I want to make a comment about reviews that point out that a zoom lens is "softer" at some focal length.

This is pretty much a given with any zoom lens. No zoom lens that I have ever heard of has identical performance at every focal length range. Even the very best of them is strong at certain focal lengths than at others. You might say that the most excellent zoom lens is "very excellent a focal length X but only excellent at focal length Y."

The secondary problem comes when people who forget this read a review of an excellent lens (at all focal lengths) that says "the lens is at its best at 24mm and slightly less sharp at 35mm" and then repeat that "it is less sharp at 35mm" without the full context.

I recall this with a particular Canon lens that came out a few years ago. The lens is a very good performer, but reviewers noted that its best performance was a focal lengths longer and shorter than 50mm. It hardly took any time for photo forum posters to turn this into "the lens is soft at 50mm." It isn't.

Be very careful about this!

Dan

Dec 01, 2016 at 11:12 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

Question isn't so much is the 16-35 better; instead it's is it so much better that you'd be willing to carry a whole nother dslr body and a larger lens just for that added sharpness.

Personally, even if my 10-24 isn't the best uwa zoom I've owned, it works well enough as a compromise of just sticking a relatively light lens into my bag which I don't mind carrying all day. I would not want a canon dslr and a 16-35 to drag around all day on top of the rest of my Fuji kit.

Edited on Dec 01, 2016 at 05:46 PM · View previous versions

Dec 01, 2016 at 12:24 PM
Alanu
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

I'd say the 16-35 f/4is is definitely better on my canon FF compared to my 16MP fuji body with 10-24mm

However the fuji is "better" in convenience and portability. That alone makes the fuji more fun to use.

I sold my 16-35 f/4IS as it made doing family session with artistic sunflares almost unbearable. The f/4 lens struggled to acquire focus as sun entered the lens. My 16-35 f/2.8 mk2 focuses with no effort.

Due to the lack of HSS fuji flash (in Canada in my local area anyways) I've yet to do any work with my fuji UWA. I'm not sure how the lens reacts in my certain situations I throw at it.

The question "better" can be very broad.......

However I really love the IQ I get with the 10-24mm so far!!

Dec 01, 2016 at 03:49 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

Between FF and APS-C and equivalent lenses you will always have a different look. My take is that I treat the Fuji lenses like the 56 APD still as the "look" of a 56mm lens FF, but with a narrower perspective. Even though the 56 APD has the angle of perspective of 84mm FF for composing, the 56 at f/1.2 is an amazing lens on its own.

Dec 01, 2016 at 05:27 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

charles.K wrote:
Between FF and APS-C and equivalent lenses you will always have a different look. My take is that I treat the Fuji lenses like the 56 APD still as the "look" of a 56mm lens FF, but with a narrower perspective. Even though the 56 APD has the angle of perspective of 84mm FF for composing, the 56 at f/1.2 is an amazing lens on its own.

I think with time, the "classic" rendering/look of a given focal length will somewhat be forgot. Most of us who spent a lot of time with 35mm SLR's of course might "see" a bit of a 50mm focal length in a lens like the 56mm f1.2, even though its equiv to 85mm due to the crop factor. We don't think of it as a 85mm FoV, we think of it as a cropped 50mm, which is correct, yet so is the former too.

Thing is though, that the reference of a 35mm SLR/DSLR is going to become less of a standard. Back in the days of large and medium format, 120 film et al, people no doubt thought of a true 50mm lens as crop version of a "normal" 90mm.

A 56mm lens on an APS-C sensor likely will be thought of as having a certain look, and FoV, within its own right, and not equivalent to other formats. If someone bought their first camera today, what they work with is all they know, there is no equivalence.

For me though, I think of a lens like my 16mm f1.4, and I don't associate it as as 16mm, in my mind its a 24mm, because of the FoV, and because that is what I spent ages shooting and knowing.

To me its a 24mm lens that has a number 16 written on it lol. To a different shooter though, 16mm means to them what 24 means to me.

They might see a 24mm lens on a FF DSLR and automatically associate that with the 16mm they know.

The frame of reference was always the 35mm negative. We had 1.5x, 2x crop etc, but sooner or later that will no doubt change.

Maybe the Hassy and Fuji MF camera's will become the new standard and "full frame" as we know it will start being a crop factor

Dec 01, 2016 at 05:57 PM
rsk7
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

When I was getting into Fuji at the beginning of this year I compared my 10-24 on X-T1 vs the 16-35 f4 IS on 5D3 for wide angle landscape shots where I was shooting putting one system on the tripod then switching to the other and back and forth. With the X-T1 at 16mp vs the 23mp of the Canon there was definitely a resolution difference on screen but it was all but negligible on print. I haven't done any recent comparisons since getting the X-T2 but don't feel I need to. That issue is gone.

The one thing I feel is a bit worse with the 10-24 is the corner smear where it looks like someone took the negative and stretched it out at the bottom corners when you are taking a wide with the bottom corners really close (3-4 ft) and the rest of the frame stretching out into the distance. The 15 vs 16mm might have a bit to do with it but I really feel like the corners have a bit more distortion to them with the 10-24.

Weight wise I don't feel like there is much diff between the two as the Canon has a lot of plastic to it. But size wise the Fuji is definitely smaller in the bag. Another issue is the Canon is weather resistant (with filter) but the Fuji is not.

I still have the 5D3 and the 16-35 but it is the Fuji I take out all the time. I just need to sell off the rest of my Canon stuff as I'm just not using it anymore. It was iffy with the X-T1 but the X-T2 sealed the deal.

Dec 01, 2016 at 09:56 PM
avuroski
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

I've tried them both 1 v 1 for the last month, and will be posting an extensive write up here - probably on the Canon forum. I think the 10-24/XT-2 combination is excellent for landscape. Color rendition and sharpness are both wonderful.

But I will say this - I have the distinct feeling that people on these forums don't REALLY want to hear conflicting viewpoints. Maybe this is just human nature. But I hear from a lot of people who start out, like you do in your initial post, that you've switched to Fuji and now love it. So have lots of people. But I guess my problem is that, if I come along and say, hey, I've just compared them directly, and I'm not as impressed with the Fuji, everyone is going to jump all over me and say I'm an idiot, I'm biased, I wasn't testing correctly, etc., etc. So why bother posting at all. It's call confirmation bias, and everyone's susceptible to it.

But since you asked, I will offer this - outdoors, on sunny days, for landscapes, I think the XT2/10-24 combination is extremely good, and I could not find much difference at all between that and my Canon 5d mk4 / 16-35IS combination.

Dec 02, 2016 at 09:20 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anybody Compare Fuji 10-24 to Canon 16-35 F4 IS?

Another take is to use some of the superb Fuji primes, like the 16/1.4 or 14. I have the 16/1.4 and this lens is just amazing on the XT2 The 16 has great bokeh, surprisingly for a WA and acts almost as macro with its MFD.

This lens is very sharp and detailed and particularly for landscapes, so for post processing you rarely have an issue as the detail is fully captured accurately.

I rarely have used WA zooms as the detail I find gets "dispersed" and harder to fix in post. My favorite combinations in the past. 5DII and ZE 21, M240 and 21 SEM, A7rII and Loxia 21, D810 and 20/1.8, and XT2 with 16/1.4.

Dec 03, 2016 at 02:09 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.