Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · System recommendations for dance photography?

sarenz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · System recommendations for dance photography?

Hello all,

I'm new to the FM forums, and I thought this would be a good place to get some advice on what gear to use for dance/ballet photography. (I'm also cross-posting in the People Photography forum.)

Photography in general has been my hobby for the last several years, and I've found that as I get more into dance photography, I seem to be reaching the limitations of what my current m4/3 system can do in low light with moving subjects. So I'm looking to add a system that will excel at shooting moving subjects in relatively low light (ballet and contemporary dance).

Currently I shoot with an Olympus E-M1 mounting either a Zuiko 35-100mm f2 zoom or Zuiko 150mm f2 prime (equivalent to focal lengths of 70-200mm and 300mm, respectively). Frame rate when shooting action is good (10/11fps), but focus tracking is not, and noise at high ISOs and in shadows is disappointing. So while I'm pleased with the overall performance vs the cost of the system, I'm now looking for the improvements in focus tracking and IQ that FF offers. (I plan to keep the m4/3 system as a companion to whichever FF system I add, probably upgrading to the E-M1 Mk2.)

While I'm sure that any high end body and lens combo from Canon, Nikon, or Sony would give me heaps of improvement in image quality and focus tracking, I'm fairly lost at sea trying to navigate the many different options. I'm planning on renting a system to try out at an upcoming rehearsal. Would anyone care to make some recommendations based on their experience?

To sum up:
In a body, I'm looking for:
--Excellent continuous AF and tracking for action shots in low light.
--Low noise in shadows and at higher ISOs.
--High frame rate in continuous/sequential shooting.
--Quiet mode for when shooting during performances.
--Resolution suitable for printing at poster size.

In lenses, I'm looking for:
--A big, bright 70-200mm zoom with excellent sharpness and contrast for dance rehearsal and performance shooting.
--A prime or two for situations where either greater reach or increased subject isolation are desired.

(One note, I'm sure that the Nikon D5 and Canon 1Dx Mk2 would excel at these requirements, but the bodies are out of my price range. My max budget for a body would be about $3000USD.)

Much thanks for any recommendations and advice!
Scott

Sep 30, 2016 at 12:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · System recommendations for dance photography?

I expect that you'll run out of money, before you get to the "a prime or two" part of your list.

My recent experience with low-light action and performance shooting is with the Canon 1DX and 6D. They both have excellent high ISO performance; however, what you want is somewhere in between them. The 1DX (which is about your total budget, used) provides everything on your list, except for a decent quiet shutter mode - you'd have to put it in a blimp, along with the 70-200/2.8L IS lens that would be on it. The 6D offers everything on your list, except excellent continuous AF (it's centre point AF is one of the best ever, but that's about it), and its 4.5 fps sucks.

A used Canon 5D Mk III (6 fps) and 70-200/2.8L IS would be a good start, and might even fit your budget. OTOH, if silence is a real concern, then you should start looking for a blimp, too.

Sep 30, 2016 at 01:02 PM
rstoddard11
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · System recommendations for dance photography?

For this type of photography, I prefer a fast prime. I have had great luck with the often overlooked Canon 100mm f2.0 prime. Its not an L lens, but is 95% of the 135L f2 and super fast and sharp as a razor blade. It is my go to for indoor sports. I have it on a 6d. If I could afford a 5d3 and the improved AF system I would have gone that route, but it sill focuses fast and I usually use center point AF anyway, making things equal between the two cameras for the most part. If I was closer to the action I may choose to go with a 50mm 1.8 prime.

If you have $3000 to burn, you could certainly get a Canon 6D, 100mm f2, 50mm 1.8 STM and maybe even a used zoom.

Sep 30, 2016 at 01:16 PM
Andre Y
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · System recommendations for dance photography?

I shoot a bit of dance, and use a D810 and various prime lenses (24/1.8G, 50/1.4D, 58/1.4G, 85/1.8D, Tamron 85, Zeiss 2/135 APO), usually around f/2, between ISO800 and 1600 in RAW to preserve as much dynamic range as possible for post processing. I shoot in manual because the lighting doesn't change much, especially in rehearsal. There will be shows with changing lights, but I find it faster to alter my manual settings than to rely on an automatic mode especially with so many bright point sources of lights around. I also use the battery grip so I don't have to worry about battery life, and I have good ergonomics for portrait orientation shots.

I've used an E-M1 along with the 75/1.8, 25/1.4PL and 12-40/2.8 for dance, and agree that it's not very good at it. I recently tried an X-T2 with the 90/2 LM and the 16/1.4, and it's a terrible camera for dance: the hype behind its supposed good AF performance is completely unbelievable.

The D810 is actually very good with one big fault: the buffer is a little too small and clears a little too slowly. This is with single-shot, but with less than a second between button presses. AF is good in AF-C and d9 mode, with lenses fine-turned to the lighting environment I'm shooting in. It's not 100%, but it's far more than 50%. I've also shot the D500, and except for the lack of fast wide angle primes, it's really fantastic, especially its full-width AF array.

And I'm sure a comparable Canon system would do just as well, but the most important factors to your success are:

1. Practice. Know your equipment cold, and how it behaves under various circumstances. For example, most dance is shot under artificial light, and AF will be affected by that. Know how to move your AF focus point quickly and efficiently for how you work. For example, I mix portrait and landscape orientations a lot, so having something like Nikon's separate settings for each is useful. With the D500, there are a lot more focusing points to move through and a wider area, so I had to be aware of that and deal with that in a different way than the D810. Same comments about your exposure mode: while I use manual and it works for me, you'll have to figure out how your preferred exposure mode interacts with the light in your situations.

2. Know the dance form. Go to rehearsals, and just watch: don't start shooting immediately. Try to know the flow of the choreography so you know where the best angles are and when the interesting moments will be. The great thing about rehearsals is that they repeat the same thing lots of time, so you get many chances at the same moment (though they may not do it full out each time).

Be prepared to run around and get in different positions to get your shots. Don't rely on continuous shooting to get your moment, because chances are almost certain that it won't get it. There is a right moment to shoot, and a high frame rate is just to get the stuff after the peak moment. I like to limit my continuous shots to 3 with the in-camera setting. Lois Greenfield shoots with a Hassy V-system to get her studio shots (which are not posed as the dancers are moving continuously), and she basically gets 1 shot to get her moment.

Watch your background clutter. Studio backgrounds are notoriously cluttered, so you may not have very many angles to work with in a studio. Stages tend to be cleaner, but that depends on the set design. You can incorporate many of these clutter elements into your compositions.

Camera (sound) noise is a tough one. If you're shooting in a performance, there's not much you can do besides using a sound blimp to mask your camera noise. Rehearsals in general are pretty noisy. Different cameras have different sounds, and their quiet mode (except for true silent modes like the mirrorless cameras with the full electronic shutters) aren't really that quiet, so it's something you'll have to test for yourself. The D810 is surprisingly quiet, and the D500 is pretty noisy.

Good luck!

Sep 30, 2016 at 01:26 PM
sarenz

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · System recommendations for dance photography?

Andre, Jim, and Ryan, much thanks for all the useful advice! I have a lot to learn, and these insights on gear and technique are a big big help.

It’s good to know that there are a range of bodies and lenses that can do the job. I’m thinking of renting a 1Dx and a couple of lenses to try out, and in the meantime will continue practicing with my current gear, with a focus on timing.

Thanks again!

Oct 02, 2016 at 11:08 PM
nick53097
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · System recommendations for dance photography?

I've used a Nikon D3s with 70-200 lens for few years
Moved to a Nikon D750 and 85mm f1.8 combo
Similar results, but so much lighter

Oct 04, 2016 at 01:59 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.