Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · If You Have Not Seen This You Should Take a Look - FastRawViewer

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · If You Have Not Seen This You Should Take a Look - FastRawViewer

This was recently shared with the community in another thread by Snaspy as a suggestion for culling Sony RAW files wherein the JPG preview is limited in size when being view in PM (PhotoMechanic). This has some potential value to the wedding portrait photographer as a replacement for image culling due to the fact that it is just as fast as PM, provides more info, less than half the cost of PM and allows for RAW file adjustments that can be saved to sidecar files to later be uploaded in LR, ACR or C1. Take a look: http://www.fastrawviewer.com

It' main claim to fame is that it is the only software application that allows for actual viewing of the RAW file data and not the included camera JPG. Check it out, for only $15 you can't go wrong.

Sep 30, 2016 at 08:19 AM
daniel4

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · If You Have Not Seen This You Should Take a Look - FastRawViewer

It's still too slow for me because it doesn't preload the next image and there is a noticeable delay when flipping between shots. I'd rather cull on small JPG, then have a script replace them with the corresponding RAW.

Oct 04, 2016 at 11:20 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · If You Have Not Seen This You Should Take a Look - FastRawViewer

daniel4 wrote:
It's still too slow for me because it doesn't preload the next image and there is a noticeable delay when flipping between shots. I'd rather cull on small JPG, then have a script replace them with the corresponding RAW.

Since I'm a new user I'm not familiar enough with it to give you a definitive answer. After saying that, let me ask, are your images stored on an external drive or network while being access by FastRawViewer?

I also don't shoot RAW + JPG just straight RAW so that may make a difference too. I'm working on a mid-2010 Mac Pro 3.3 Ghz hex-core machine, certainly no speed demon by today's standards. And I can go almost as fast as I can type on my keyboard, certainly faster than I could possibly ever give a good look to an image. On my machine I can flip through the images faster than I can in LR on the same machine. So I have no speed complaints.

Remember though, the main reason for using this app for culling is the fact that you can actually evaluate the file based upon looking at the RAW data vs a camera or Adobe software generated JPG which applies their own recipe for the viewing JPG that you see.

Oct 05, 2016 at 08:09 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · If You Have Not Seen This You Should Take a Look - FastRawViewer

Yeah, there is a tiny little delay which is a little annoying. It's a small delay...literally tiny fractions of a second, but with PM being instantaneous, that tiny delay slows me down when I am culling through.

The other issue I have had is that sorting the images in differing ways is a bit of a hassle

That said, it is still a fabulous program and well worth the small amount they are charging for it.

Oct 05, 2016 at 08:15 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · If You Have Not Seen This You Should Take a Look - FastRawViewer

joelconner wrote:
Yeah, there is a tiny little delay which is a little annoying. It's a small delay...literally tiny fractions of a second, but with PM being instantaneous, that tiny delay slows me down when I am culling through.

I think where the difference matters in culling speed between PM and FRV users is in the final application/destination of the files. For most if not all wedding photographers the content of the image with regard to expression and composition out weigh the value of pixel peeping the RAW histogram for the ultimate DR. Typically wedding and portrait shooters are not shooting exposure bracketed shots for the most part. OTOH, landscape, cityscape, HR shooters and others who are going to be taking their time and studying the histogram of bracketed shots then this is truly a valuable piece of software and the ultimate culling speed is not as important.

Oct 05, 2016 at 08:27 AM
thoang77
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · If You Have Not Seen This You Should Take a Look - FastRawViewer

MRomine wrote:
OTOH, landscape, cityscape, HR shooters and others who are going to be taking their time and studying the histogram of bracketed shots then this is truly a valuable piece of software and the ultimate culling speed is not as important.

But if culling speed isn't important, why not just throw them into LR?

Oct 05, 2016 at 09:58 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · If You Have Not Seen This You Should Take a Look - FastRawViewer

thoang77 wrote:

Because LR is not showing you the RAW data even when you are only working with RAW files, including the histogram. You are getting an Adobe preview.

For more info on this watch the videos on the home page of the FRV, see link above.

Edited on Oct 05, 2016 at 10:25 AM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2016 at 10:10 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · If You Have Not Seen This You Should Take a Look - FastRawViewer

thoang77 wrote:

Really...the delay is TINY in fastraw. It's just a hair slower than PM and is still very, very fast

Oct 05, 2016 at 10:22 AM
thoang77
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · If You Have Not Seen This You Should Take a Look - FastRawViewer

MRomine wrote:
Because LR is not showing you the RAW data even when you are only working with RAW files, including the histogram. You are getting an Adobe preview.

For more info on this watch the videos on the home page of the FRV, see link above.

Maybe my landscape shooting post workflow is too dependent on the eye test then. These Nikon sensors have me just caring about clipping and if I bracketed, then the histogram is kind of redundant for me.

joelconner wrote:
Really...the delay is TINY in fastraw. It's just a hair slower than PM and is still very, very fast

I didn't mean that it's not useful and still very fast. Its just if you were to go through images at the rate in which MRomine had mentioned, those landscape shooters who inspect each image's RAW data/histogram may not find the speed as crucial as high volume wedding/sports/photojournalism shooters, so importing into lightroom is a viable alternative

My PM culling process is entirely for sharpness and content, so it's all about just going through them as quickly as possible. I already use PM, but only because I already had PM when I found out about FRV a while back. If FRV came to me first, I'd probably be using that

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:17 AM
Iliah.Borg

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · If You Have Not Seen This You Should Take a Look - FastRawViewer

We do pre-load images.

On a not-so-modern hardware one can keep pressing Spacebar and see raw images changing faster than 4 frames per second.

We insert a small delay to allow the user to re-consider while navigating with arrows, and waiting if the user will press the arrow again, and maybe it will be an arrow in the opposite direction. Pressing Spacebar to move to the next image does not insert delays

Other than that, here are some other reasons for delays.

Number one in our experience is slow storage device or slow network / network device.

Next, sometimes slowdown is caused by video drivers being not up-to-date (please see http://www.fastrawviewer.com/download under "If Your Browsing Speed is Low, or You are Experiencing Graphics Issues", and when your drivers are updated to current ones, try switching to OpenGL in FastRawViewer Preferences as shown on http://www.fastrawviewer.com/usermanual13/performance-settings under "Customizing Display Modes").

If the video card is relatively old and slow, try tuning FRV settings for low performance graphics:
Preferences - GPU Processing tab:
Image Resampling method: set to Bilinear
Downsampling: set to None

We have extensive manual, both online and a pdf that comes with the download of installer, and also tips and videos. Not all features of FastRawViewer are obvious, so we really suggest to look through the features listed on the home page and click on those you are interested in.

We are always happy to discuss any issues and feature requests - please e-mail to [email protected] or leave a message on our forum.

Oct 06, 2016 at 05:01 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.