Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 1D series users: How do you change mode w/ heavy lens attached?

rabbitmountain
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1D series users: How do you change mode w/ heavy lens attached?

This may earn the prize for most silly question of the day, but I'll risk it I just spent three weeks with a loaner 1Dx2. I used it a lot - and I mean a whole lot - with my 70-200/2.8ii or 100-400ii attached. Both similar weight and a bit heavy. When I want to change exposure mode or metering mode I need to push the button on the top left with my left hand. This means I need to stop supporting the lens temporarily. I don't believe the mount will break, but it does feel a bit awkward to keep the lens in horizontal orientation, twist my right hand to keep looking through the lens and push the button. It's not press and hold so I only need to push it once briefly and get my hand back to supporting the lens, but still.

How do you go about doing this?

Thanks,
Ralph

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:05 AM
ThomasCantwell
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1D series users: How do you change mode w/ heavy lens attached?

Keep your left hand on the lens and use your right hand to change settings. Let the lens support the camera.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:10 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1D series users: How do you change mode w/ heavy lens attached?

I've never been adept enough to hit that button while looking through the viewfinder. I bring the camera down, continue to support the lens in my left hand, and reach over with my right hand to hit the button.

Can't you reach over with your right hand?

Mark

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:12 AM

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1D series users: How do you change mode w/ heavy lens attached?

I don't usually change the mode - my camera is forever in AV mode; I could've just disabled all the others. But in theory, it's possible to support the lens by the tripod collar (if it's in the downward position) using your 3th, 4th and 5th fingers, pushing the left-side buttons with your thumb. You kinda have to take your eye from the viewfinder when changing the shooting mode anyway - it's not displayed in the viewfinder (while the metering mode is). However, I don't think it's necessary to support the 70-200/2.8 or 100-400 class lenses all the time, as the camera chassis / mount is sturdy enough. If you're using extension tubes... it would be more tricky, as I've totalled a (cheap) extension tube this way, as it snapped in half and my 70-200 dropped to the ground.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:18 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1D series users: How do you change mode w/ heavy lens attached?

I don't think I have ever changed mode while looking through the viewfinder. Usually I'm in Tv with auto ISO or manual. Is it possible to have one of the custom buttons tied to a mode? I've never really done it. The only thing I customize is putting One-Shot on the back button.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:40 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1D series users: How do you change mode w/ heavy lens attached?

I always support the barrel of the lens with my left hand at the center of gravity and adjust controls with my right.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:56 AM
SR777
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1D series users: How do you change mode w/ heavy lens attached?

The Q button on the back allows changing the shooting mode, AF mode, aperture, shutter speed and a number of other settings. The multi-controller on the back, the Q button, the 'set' button and the quick control dial can be used with the right hand thumb while the left hand and the rest of the right hand are supporting the camera and lens.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:57 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1D series users: How do you change mode w/ heavy lens attached?

Agree with others; never tried / had to do this with my eye at the viewfinder. I shoot (almost) exclusively in AV mode and make copious use of exposure compensation. I can adjust everything I want to including ISO while shooting.

That said, there is no right or wrong approach here.

Newer Canons have additional customization features with back button focusing. Not sure about the 1DX series (I have 1D Mark IVs), but on the 5D4 I believe you can program AF-On and AE-Lock to instantly switch to different modes. You may want to look into this a bit.

Edited on Sep 29, 2016 at 03:22 PM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:01 AM
tiggy
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1D series users: How do you change mode w/ heavy lens attached?

I don't think the mount's integrity is an issue, but there is certainly a comfort issue. I use the same technique I use to change lenses.

For lens changing...
1- My right first comes under the lens to support and left hand grips the left body side.
2- Then I use the 2nd finger of my left hand to hit the lens release button.
3- I twist the lens in a fashion that makes my left hand - which was on the left side of the camera - to now be below the camera, supporting the body. That twist motion makes the lens fall into my right hand.
4- Stick the long lens between my legs and hope for balance as I affix the new lens on.

For hitting the top left buttons...
1- Same
2- Same, but for hitting the correct button
3- Unnecessary
4- Unneeded

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:25 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1D series users: How do you change mode w/ heavy lens attached?

I always shoot in manual or manual/auto ISO, but rarely change between events.

EBH

Sep 29, 2016 at 01:29 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1D series users: How do you change mode w/ heavy lens attached?

I rarely change mode when shooting, but if I do, I simply lower the camera (let it hang on the strap, if I'm using), let the lens hang down, set the rear LCD to Info, push the mode, or AF, or AEB button, and watch the options on the rear screen, as I rotate the dial(s).

Sep 29, 2016 at 01:30 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1D series users: How do you change mode w/ heavy lens attached?

I limit the modes available to just Manual, Av and Tv for quicker change, but I rarely use the Mode button anymore. Instead. I have the 3 custom functions set for general shots (Av), BIF (manual) and sports (manual) with presets for each. I just put my index finger on the M-fn button and scroll through settings and can see the change on the back of the screen without ever moving my eye from the camera.

Set up the customs function settings for each mode if that's how you roll and then set M-fn button to make changes between custom functions.

Since auto ISO and exposure compensation, I am always in manual with auto ISO, especially for sports. I don't worry too much about ISO with the 1Dx.

Sep 29, 2016 at 01:33 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1D series users: How do you change mode w/ heavy lens attached?

Thanks everyone for taking this as a serious question and thanks also for your informative replies. To 1D4 users yes the VF displays the shooting modes and most other settings. I don't really need to look anywhere to see the settings roll by as I only ever use Av and M and I only ever use spot or evaluative metering. So I just need to find the easiest way to hit the button. With the lenses mentioned my left hand is always supporting it (as we all do unless when using a tripod).
I did look into customising the buttons but I didn't think about the C1-C3 modes. If they're anywhere near those of the 5D3 / 5DsR then switching between those C modes will. It just set the shooting mode but will also set other values (like ISO, shutter and aperture) to the values you set when storing those settings. I've always found that frustrating because I had to keep setting those values back to what I had in the other C mode. Maybe I missed something though. I will have another look.

Thank again!

Sep 29, 2016 at 03:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.