New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Some are red

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Some are red

These are not my favorites, but I am showing these in the interest of learning. Isolating a single tree is hard as there are usually other trees around of less interest. I usually attempt to get the entire tree, or at least the top.

These are oaks and some of them at peak are incredibly red. Let me know how you would rank them and any improvements including scrapping them.

Sep 29, 2016 at 09:58 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Some are red

#2 works best for me in terms of comp. The others feel awkwardly cropped to me, but this isn't my area of strength so take it with a grain of salt.

Color looks great on them all. #2 would be my pick for that as well since it looks to have a nice seasonal mix of leaves all changing at various speeds.

#2, 1, 3. #3 feels the most awkward for me due to lack of an anchor.

Cheers!

Jeff

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:28 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Some are red

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. Cropping is always a problem because of adjacent trees or clutter of some sort. I am far more at ease doing large sweeping landscapes.

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:39 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Some are red

+1 with Jeff's comments and my pick order is the same.

#2 just feels right. Is it a wall hanger (for you)? Nah, I'm guessing it's not.
But it is a very nice image. What I like about this one is how you captured the distant mountain which also has fall colors to help support the main subject. And of course the mix of nice clouds and blue sky that complement the color of the tree. It does feel a little tight on the sides but I suspect you had no choice because of less desirable trees next to him.

These images help convince me that our fall colors around here in SC are a real disappointment. I often wonder, because of my little issue, if I'm simply missing the fall colors every year because I never seem to catch them at peek, but seeing these vibrant reds makes me realize that I'm not. They just never look this good. You captured some beautiful reds in this set.

We've had nearly zero rain in the last month so I think we are going to have another repeat of last year where they just fade and fall. I'm hoping I might get some nice colors up in the Smokies in the next month while trying to get a wall hanger Elk shot. If the right opportunity arrives I will then say to hell with clean backgrounds.

Dave

Sep 29, 2016 at 03:43 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Some are red

Thanks Dave, I remember having crummy years in North Idaho too. But up there, evergreens are the predominant tree although there were also Larch which is a deciduous conifer that turns yellow in fall.

Here the dominant fall colors are oak or aspen with some maple and of course river bottoms of willow and cottonwoods. But also the grass and some brush is colorful. The problem is that the oaks and aspen are out of sync. Fortunately you can often find large groves of aspen or oak that have all turned at once providing a large area of color. But with the aspen disease the last two years, some reliable groves are just bare by now.

Good luck, I find fall color to be one of the most challenging scenes to photograph. But then elk are no piece of cake either.

Sep 29, 2016 at 03:51 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.