Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Soccer shot

ThePictureGuy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Soccer shot

Took a try at some soccer. Just sharing one shot for now. Had some focus issues (you can see in this shot the grass in front of the kicker is in crisper focus as opposed to the kid himself) and wish I'd had a zoom lens for this, but it was a lot of fun and I think the team will like a bunch of the shots I got. Any CC would be welcome!

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-c3DHTRQ/0/X2/i-c3DHTRQ-X2.jpg

7D2 200mm f3.2 1/5000 ISO 320

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:16 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Soccer shot

Too many variables in the equation. The net will tug at the AF, boy and ball are moving and you are moving the camera. You might have better luck to pre-focus on a distance where you believe the shooter will be then turn off AF. Wait and begin firing when the shooter is within 2-3 feet of the spot. Behind-the-net shots are interesting but IMO one or two a season go a long way.

Combo of ISO 320 & SS of 1/5000 isn't necessary. Under these conditions set the ISO to 100. SS for pro-players is fine at 1600-2500 and Munchkin ball is fine a slower speeds if light limited, i.e. 1/800 maybe 640.

Compositionally: watch out for chopping off body parts especially those of the intended target.

Keep shooting, it gets better

Matt

Sep 29, 2016 at 04:17 PM
ThePictureGuy

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Soccer shot

Thanks Matt! Lots of good advice. I was invited by a parent to shoot the game since it was a good place to meet for me to drop off prints she had ordered from baseball....so I'm not sure if/when I'll have the opportunity for soccer again, but it was good, if a bit different from what I'm used to shooting.

Hindsight, I realize I had left the ISO320 from when I was on the other part of the field that was in shadow....but don't discount the speed on some of these Munchkins :P (yea 1/5000 totally overkill).

This one any better (compo-wise)? Thanks again!

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-wWCnK4C/0/XL/i-wWCnK4C-XL.jpg

Sep 29, 2016 at 07:44 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Soccer shot

Comp is better.

Sep 30, 2016 at 06:16 AM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Soccer shot

Hey TPG,

I like the second shot. Getting the pics through the net in soccer can be a challenge. Are you using back button focus? It helps a lot in these situations. Here are a few of through the net shots I have taken in the past:

State playoffs semi-finals

Just one of my daughter last season

Sep 30, 2016 at 08:32 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.