New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · D3s having issues

pcrit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D3s having issues

I use a D3s as my main body ALL the time and also have a D750 but love the D3s so much I never use it. It has been my workhorse and never had a problem until a few months ago. I shoot weddings every weekend so need something reliable. I will press the shutter and nothing happens, no focus points show up and I can't do anything. There is no error message. I have to turn it off and on again and then everything is fine. It will sometimes happen very often or not happen at all. I thought is was a bad battery as it would read full and then die without warning but had the same problem with another battery. Then it was happening with a CF card I use and was fixed when I switched cards at the event. It happened a few times last week with a different card which I kept in and it worked fine after happening about ten times. I can't find a pattern. I use the same lens (24-120 f/4) most of the time but think it's happened with other lenses. Has anybody experienced this before?

It has been well taken care of and guessing shutter count is below 60k. Help please, I love my D3s!!!!!!

Sep 28, 2016 at 08:18 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D3s having issues

First, start by cleaning the lens contact points on your body and the lens with a swab and some isopropyl alcohol and then retest.

Sep 28, 2016 at 08:33 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D3s having issues

Will do, thank you very much.

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:37 AM
wbulr

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D3s having issues

I had the same thing happen to my D3s with a 70-200 VRII. Mine has about 165K clicks, turned it off then back on and it worked fine. It happened 3 or 4 times during the early part of a very busy event. Worked fine the rest of the day. I'm curious to see what input you get.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:56 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D3s having issues

It's very annoying and usually at a critical moment and having trouble figuring it out. I will let you know and cleaning the contacts today.

Sep 30, 2016 at 01:44 AM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D3s having issues

Sounds like the CPU board is going bad.

Sep 30, 2016 at 08:50 AM
Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D3s having issues

Hmmm. This is strange.

It's funny you say this (D3s vs D750) because just last weekend, I've shot with @DJ R and reviewed files on his D750 LCD screen for the first time in my life...
I was very, very surprised to come to a conclusion that I don't like how the files came out, just on the LCD screen, never mind the computer. (Sorry for bashing your D750 Ryan )

I've been shooting weddings with a dual D3s and I've never had a better body setup. They're my workhorses!

I haven't had any issues with either one of my D3s' so I can't comment on the problems you're getting...
FWIW, both of my bodies are at about 120-140k

Sep 30, 2016 at 09:10 AM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D3s having issues

I LOVE my D3s, it's been my workhorse for the last 5 wedding seasons and never had issues until now. I just cleaned all the contacts on all my lenses and the body and have a wedding tomorrow so we'll see. It is intermittent which is why it's so hard to troubleshoot. I know it happened with a bad card but happened a few times last wedding and was fine after that. Fingers crossed that it's okay but have my D750 and just bought a D500 today. I really don't want to give up on the D3s but at least I have two bodies so I can send it in for service if needed.

Sep 30, 2016 at 06:08 PM
dburanich

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D3s having issues

Just curious if you tried a complete reset of all the settings to the factory default.
You will lose all of your custom settings but write them down before you do it.
Might be worth a try.

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17395/~/how-to-reset-a-d-slr-to-factory-default-settings

Oct 01, 2016 at 10:12 AM
ReyGay
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D3s having issues

I have this same issue with my D3X many years ago but this was my fault. Look at the photo below:

https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7305/10526085926_8acc114a36_c.jpg

Make sure your selector is on the middle. If it's on that white square, your focus points disappear and if your camera is set to focus priority, it won't fire until it focuses on something.

Hope that helps.

Oct 01, 2016 at 03:31 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D3s having issues

Thanks for the advice, it was not the selector and I cleaned all the contacts and knock on wood no issues on the wedding I shot yesterday. I hope it's fixed but it is random, maybe I lucked out and cleaning everything worked.

Oct 02, 2016 at 12:26 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.