FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

tonyhart wrote:
Sure the RAW+JPG thing solves the PM problem but it seems like it has some significant tradeoffs. Am I misunderstanding?

That was exactly my thinking too. But this new FastRawViewer seems to solve this problem.

Sep 30, 2016 at 08:21 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

MRomine wrote:
That was exactly my thinking too. But this new FastRawViewer seems to solve this problem.

Yep, definitely. That was why it interested me. More that than the fact that I'm seeing a RAW rather than a JPG. For me, culling is about general exposure and composition/moment finding. RAW is great, but JPG suffices perfectly well at that stage. If this allowed me to shoot just RAW in the fuji's that'd be great.

My previous post was largely targeted to the early part of the thread where people were suggesting PM workarounds.

Sep 30, 2016 at 08:23 AM
smpetty
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

snapsy wrote:
Try FastRawViewer. It was created to solve this very problem.

"FastRawViewer is the only WYSIWYG RAW viewer that allows to see RAW exactly as a converter will "see" it, and provides RAW-based tools to estimate what a converter will be able to squeeze from the shot. FastRawViewer is a must have; it's all you need for extremely fast and reliable culling, direct presentation, as well as for speeding up of the conversion stage of any amounts of any RAW images of every format."

Great tip - thanks, wonderful software and WAY cheaper than PhotoMechanic

Scott

Sep 30, 2016 at 09:42 AM
zalmyb
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

tonyhart wrote:
Thinking more about this issue...

Zalmy, quick question about the RAW+JPG approach on the Fujis. Does this not have a few disadvantages?

- Does it not reduce buffer?
- Does it not eat through cards quicker?
- If shooting to two cards, I want RAW on both cards, not RAW on one and JPG on the other. The benefit of dual card cameras to me is that if one card dies I still have a good RAW backup. Are people shooting RAW+JPG to both cards?

Sure the RAW+JPG thing solves the PM problem but it seems like it has some significant tradeoffs. Am I misunderstanding?

- I don't gun too much so I never bumped into the buffer yet.
- I shoot with 128gb cards so I never really run out of space
- I shoot RAW + Jpeg to both cards

Sep 30, 2016 at 02:42 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

Cheers Zalmy - all makes sense!

Oct 01, 2016 at 05:46 AM
mellofelow

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

Good thread... glad I found it. I purchased fast raw viewer and it's a fantastic culling tool. I shoot both Canon and Sony and got frustrated with low res ARW file views until now. Thanks!!!

Jun 02, 2017 at 09:32 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

snapsy wrote:
Try FastRawViewer. It was created to solve this very problem.

"FastRawViewer is the only WYSIWYG RAW viewer that allows to see RAW exactly as a converter will "see" it, and provides RAW-based tools to estimate what a converter will be able to squeeze from the shot. FastRawViewer is a must have; it's all you need for extremely fast and reliable culling, direct presentation, as well as for speeding up of the conversion stage of any amounts of any RAW images of every format."

Came in to post this.

Jun 03, 2017 at 05:43 AM
robgo2
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

I like FastRawViewer for what it does, but being realistic, it is not a substitute for Photo Mechanic, which can do so many more things in terms of file management. Ideally, the two programs would be used in concert, but they do not seem to share information, e.g. ratings and colors. Does anyone know of a way around this?

Rob

Jun 03, 2017 at 12:18 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.