New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

Hello! Did a search and came up with nothing. I have finally started using my Sony more, but I have one really annoying issue. It seems like the embedded jpg's in the raw files are VERY small. So small that I have a very difficult time getting an idea of sharpness when viewing the images in Photomechanic. I basically have to view them rendered in LR before I can know for sure....and that is a productivity killer.

Previously, I was converting to DNG and setting the embeded jpg size to max, so that was fine. But, I have a problem with DNG's in that I often seem to not save the edits and lose my work...thus wanting to use the regular raw's with the sidecar xml.

Am I just missing something here?

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:19 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

Glad you brought this up. I have no answer so will be looking forward to other responses.

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:52 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

....well theirs your problem... using a sony.

-Mark

Sep 28, 2016 at 01:29 PM
zalmyb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

If you shoot RAW + Jpeg (with jpeg set to fine and large) photo mechanic will see that full size jpeg...

I don't use my jpegs at all but I shoot raw + jpeg for this reason.

Sep 28, 2016 at 02:01 PM
zalmyb
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

I'm with Fuji though, so it might be different.

Sep 28, 2016 at 02:01 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

zalmyb wrote:
If you shoot RAW + Jpeg (with jpeg set to fine and large) photo mechanic will see that full size jpeg...

I don't use my jpgs at all but I shoot raw + jpeg for this reason.

Yep....that's definitely something I had not thought about. Great workaround. thanks!

Sep 28, 2016 at 02:25 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

zalmyb wrote:

I don't use my jpegs at all but I shoot raw + jpeg for this reason.

this!

Even more important when shooting a Leica M9, here the embedded images are so crap that you have no clue what you even shot at... (0:

heiko

Sep 28, 2016 at 02:45 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

Try FastRawViewer. It was created to solve this very problem.

"FastRawViewer is the only WYSIWYG RAW viewer that allows to see RAW exactly as a converter will "see" it, and provides RAW-based tools to estimate what a converter will be able to squeeze from the shot. FastRawViewer is a must have; it's all you need for extremely fast and reliable culling, direct presentation, as well as for speeding up of the conversion stage of any amounts of any RAW images of every format."

Sep 28, 2016 at 02:50 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

Yeah, I shoot RAW+JPEG and have Photomechanic show them combined.

-Tim

joelconner wrote:
Hello! Did a search and came up with nothing. I have finally started using my Sony more, but I have one really annoying issue. It seems like the embedded jpg's in the raw files are VERY small. So small that I have a very difficult time getting an idea of sharpness when viewing the images in Photomechanic. I basically have to view them rendered in LR before I can know for sure....and that is a productivity killer.

Previously, I was converting to DNG and setting the embeded jpg size to max, so that was fine. But, I have a problem with
...Show more

Sep 28, 2016 at 04:48 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

joelconner wrote:
Yep....that's definitely something I had not thought about. Great workaround. thanks!

Another benefit: Shooting RAW + jpg dramatically increases how fast zooming when reviewing an image goes. On my A7rII if I wanted to zoom into a RAW image to check focus it would take 1-3 seconds after pressing c3 (image review zoom button). With RAW + jpg, the camera will use the jpg for image review/zoom... and it's almost instant now.

Sep 29, 2016 at 02:02 AM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

Another Photo Mechanic user who shoots RAW+JPEG (for the reasons already noted).

Sep 29, 2016 at 03:15 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

snapsy wrote:

"FastRawViewer is the only WYSIWYG RAW viewer that allows to see RAW exactly as a converter will "see" it, and provides RAW-based tools to estimate what a converter will be able to squeeze from the shot. FastRawViewer is a must have; it's all you need for extremely fast and reliable culling, direct presentation, as well as for speeding up of the conversion stage of any amounts of any RAW images of every format."

That is an incredible piece of software! Thanks for sharing. That's like RAW editing at the scientific level. Not sure it is necessary for wedding/portrait work but still investigating it.

That dude that narrates the videos needs to take a pill and slow down. Holy cow my head hurts listening to him.

Sep 29, 2016 at 08:13 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

snapsy wrote:

Just watched the first two "What is Fastraw" videos. I shouted out a loud "wow several times when they went through the beach images. I am buying that software today to try it.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:20 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

joelconner wrote:
Just watched the first two "What is Fastraw" videos. I shouted out a loud "wow several times when they went through the beach images. I am buying that software today to try it.

I know, I bought it yesterday before even playing with it. For $15 you can't go wrong. This is incredible software and I will probably be moving from PM (been using it for years) to this. All the data is RAW data, amazing.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:23 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

is it fast like PM? that is my only real concern.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:39 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

joelconner wrote:
is it fast like PM? that is my only real concern.

Oh yes, and you are looking at the RAW not a camera JPG

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:50 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

I encountered this for the first time recently too with Sony files. I'd recently noticed the same issue with my Fuji as I've started using the X-T1 a little at weddings. In the past I only ever used it for personal work and personal work goes straight into LR with no PM pre-cull.

Now looking at FastRaw...

Sep 30, 2016 at 07:07 AM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

snapsy wrote:

Thank you so much! I thought Photo Mechanic was as good as it gets until I tried this...

---------------------------------------------

MRomine wrote:
I know, I bought it yesterday before even playing with it. For $15 you can't go wrong. This is incredible software and I will probably be moving from PM (been using it for years) to this. All the data is RAW data, amazing.

Exactly! I didn't realize that being able to see the RAW data would be so much more useful than looking at a JPG interpretation.

Sep 30, 2016 at 08:06 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

tonyhart wrote:
I encountered this for the first time recently too with Sony files. I'd recently noticed the same issue with my Fuji as I've started using the X-T1 a little at weddings. In the past I only ever used it for personal work and personal work goes straight into LR with no PM pre-cull.

Now looking at FastRaw...

I don't yet know how useful it will be to a wedding/portrait photographer to be viewing the RAW data. I can see huge benefits to those who are shooting landscapes/cityscapes, HDR shooters etc, where you are bracketing your exposures. As a general rule those shooting live events are not bracketing, for the emotion/expression is more important than a perfect histogram. I guess it could be handy in some situations after all it is just as fast as PM so why not have the additional tools and info provided by FastRAWViewer?

Sep 30, 2016 at 08:12 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Culling the Sony images in Photomechanic

Thinking more about this issue...

Zalmy, quick question about the RAW+JPG approach on the Fujis. Does this not have a few disadvantages?

- Does it not reduce buffer?
- Does it not eat through cards quicker?
- If shooting to two cards, I want RAW on both cards, not RAW on one and JPG on the other. The benefit of dual card cameras to me is that if one card dies I still have a good RAW backup. Are people shooting RAW+JPG to both cards?

Sure the RAW+JPG thing solves the PM problem but it seems like it has some significant tradeoffs. Am I misunderstanding?

Sep 30, 2016 at 08:17 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.