end

Archive 2016 · 5DSR horizontal banding

retrofocus
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5DSR horizontal banding

Jeff Simpson wrote:
?

I'm talking about the issue the OP has, which is what I had. I'm not talking about the guaranteed shadow banding that plagued the 5d2 and 5d3, which was finally fixed in the 5ds/5dsr and 5d4.

Okay, I referred to your post as I cited above:
"i had that issue on my 5d2 a few years back, but it was so subtle (and out of warranty) i left it alone......"

Oct 01, 2016 at 10:50 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5DSR horizontal banding

Ah, the banding band is back. Strike up the band! ;-)

Oct 01, 2016 at 02:59 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5DSR horizontal banding

gdanmitchell wrote:
Ah, the banding band is back. Strike up the band! ;-)

Pretty hard to hear the band when you bury your own head into the sand.

Oct 01, 2016 at 03:50 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5DSR horizontal banding

stanj wrote:
Ok, good to hear guys. I will send it in and see what they have to say. If they smack me with a big fee I'll just leave it alone.

Also reminds me of my 1Ds before the sensor was replaced. I'd try a shot of something like a blue suit coat with NR turned off to be sure you cannot see it under more normal conditions; with the 1Ds, that was my first indication that something was wrong, as it was obvious. I've seen nothing like this from the 5Ds, and I'll bet CPS will take care of it, regardless.

Oct 02, 2016 at 10:17 PM
martas84

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5DSR horizontal banding

stanj wrote:
Ok, good to hear guys. I will send it in and see what they have to say. If they smack me with a big fee I'll just leave it alone.

Have you already heard back from the CPS? I have the same exact problem...

Oct 10, 2016 at 04:41 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5DSR horizontal banding

stanj wrote:

martas84 wrote:
Have you already heard back from the CPS? I have the same exact problem...

Not yet. Bigger fires to deal with right now

Oct 10, 2016 at 08:46 PM
SHOR

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5DSR horizontal banding

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I got here through a google search and after having the EXACT issues with my 5DSR I managed to fix it without sending it in.

My problem was the same as OP, two green bands in the exact same place, only visible in underexposed areas during 30' long exposure around 400-800 iso.

RJFphoto shared the solution earlier on in this thread, that CPS remapped the sensor.
So I just went ahead and remapped mine the only way i know how.

Put lens cap on, block viewfinder, set sensor to manual cleaning and leave for a min or two, then turn off camera. I had to repeat this quite a few times but in the end the green lines are completely gone now.
I signed up to help anyone else that has this problem as I was fretting I had a been sold a lemon with a busted sensor.

Sep 12, 2021 at 06:14 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5DSR horizontal banding

SHOR wrote:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I got here through a google search and after having the EXACT issues with my 5DSR I managed to fix it without sending it in.

My problem was the same as OP, two green bands in the exact same place, only visible in underexposed areas during 30' long exposure around 400-800 iso.

RJFphoto shared the solution earlier on in this thread, that CPS remapped the sensor.
So I just went ahead and remapped mine the only way i know how.

Put lens cap on, block viewfinder, set sensor to manual cleaning and leave for a min or
...Show more

Well thank you, that is helpful! My solution was to always shoot with noise reduction on, but I'll pass this on to the current owner of the camera, maybe he can reproduce your steps with success.

Sep 12, 2021 at 10:31 PM
hrupert

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 5DSR horizontal banding

Well, I just tried the routine above on an 5DSR, and while I do not understand the voodoo going on, it did seem to eliminate one severe horizontal band, mitigated any other banding and shifted that to the top of the frame. As Stan was saying earlier, I had just gotten used to turning on full noise reduction on the 5DSR, and then the problem largely went away. It does sometimes show up faintly even with NR turned on when I bracket +/-2 stops or more and then stack the exposures. Hopefully, this will eliminate even those artifacts.

The only real hassle with turning on NR is the doubling of capture times. It can make cold weather shooting a real challenge, and making cityscape stacked exposure captures a little tricker to catch because of timing for movement (usually just blurred traffic, or lack thereof) So, I hope I can start capturing some scenes without NR turned on anymore.

Sep 13, 2021 at 03:17 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 5DSR horizontal banding

hrupert wrote:
Well, I just tried the routine above on an 5DSR, and while I do not understand the voodoo going on, it did seem to eliminate one severe horizontal band, mitigated any other banding and shifted that to the top of the frame. As Stan was saying earlier, I had just gotten used to turning on full noise reduction on the 5DSR, and then the problem largely went away. It does sometimes show up faintly even with NR turned on when I bracket +/-2 stops or more and then stack the exposures. Hopefully, this will eliminate even those artifacts.

The only
...Show more

You can do dark frame subtraction, which is apparently all long exposure NR is, more manually in pp. I haven't done it but apparently you use the same ss you used , and at the same temp. Multiple dark frames are apparently better. But you can potentially get them after the other shots.

Sep 13, 2021 at 05:36 PM
hrupert

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 5DSR horizontal banding

AmbientMike wrote:
You can do dark frame subtraction, which is apparently all long exposure NR is, more manually in pp. I haven't done it but apparently you use the same ss you used , and at the same temp. Multiple dark frames are apparently better. But you can potentially get them after the other shots.

I'd have to ask Stan if I'm right, but turning on long exposure noise reduction on the Canon 5Dsr are doing exactly this – taking the photo we want and then taking another one as a dark frame. The hassle here is a bit real: all exposures take 2x the time. When I'm shooting a really high dynamic range scene and need to stack exposures in post, I have multiple exposures ranging from seconds to minutes each. To be able to shoot without needing to turn on NR and wait twice as long on captures, or add dark frames in post is a huge boon for me, or anyone I imagine. Just sayin'

– Rupert

Sep 14, 2021 at 01:15 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 5DSR horizontal banding

hrupert wrote:
I'd have to ask Stan if I'm right, but turning on long exposure noise reduction on the Canon 5Dsr are doing exactly this – taking the photo we want and then taking another one as a dark frame. The hassle here is a bit real: all exposures take 2x the time. When I'm shooting a really high dynamic range scene and need to stack exposures in post, I have multiple exposures ranging from seconds to minutes each. To be able to shoot without needing to turn on NR and wait twice as long on captures, or add dark frames in
...Show more

Yeah that's the reason I brought it up, it might be a lot easier. I think you just blend dark and regular frames using Subtraction in layers. So pretty easy.

I need to figure it out then instead of doubling every single frame I could shoot long exposuresof a stream, for instance, then after the sun goes completely down low and I'm not interested in shooting anyway do dark frames of any ss I used.

Sep 14, 2021 at 01:28 PM
jedibrain
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 5DSR horizontal banding

Dark frame subtraction is common in astrophotography. I don't do much of that anymore, but when I did, I just had a darks library - several photos at each common ISO and exposure settings I typically used. This was common among astrophotographers at that time. I could just pull from the darks library each time I went to stack my images. If I shot my subject with 30s exposures at ISO 1600, I'd use those darks. 1min at ISO 3200, I'd use those darks instead. I didn't have to take them every time. Might work for you guys too. I was using a frame stacking software which could automatically subtract the darks, and even do flats (the opposite - a bright frame that is used for correcting vignette or other uneven lighting) as well. I don't know how to do any of it in Lightroom or Photoshop, but I'm sure there is a way.

-Brian

Sep 14, 2021 at 01:35 PM
white
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 5DSR horizontal banding

Peter Figen wrote:
I've made lots of thirty second exposures with both of my 5DSR's and have never seen anything like that. I'd get that into CPS pronto. It actually looks like a sensor issue.

That’s why I switched to Sony

Sep 14, 2021 at 04:06 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 5DSR horizontal banding

You realize that we're replying to a five year old thread, that I started, and Rupert is the guy who now owns my very 5DSR? Just to be clear

And yes dark frame subtraction (aka LENR) was discussed about halfway through the first page as solving the problem. So Rupert always had a solution, and I had it for the first four years. I didn't send it to Canon five years ago and I"m pretty sure Rupert won't send it there now, because that would cost him more than my camera did.

I think it's all good - thanks @SHOR for the helpful follow-up and blast from the past!

Sep 14, 2021 at 05:20 PM
hrupert

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 5DSR horizontal banding

Sep 15, 2021 at 05:54 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.