New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · 5DSR horizontal banding

stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DSR horizontal banding

Well this is new (to me). I don't use the camera at night, but even at less extreme boosts the horizontal stripes are quite visible. Do others get them, too? Reminds me of my original 1DS. (that's a wild fire in my town btw)

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:53 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DSR horizontal banding

I've made lots of thirty second exposures with both of my 5DSR's and have never seen anything like that. I'd get that into CPS pronto. It actually looks like a sensor issue.

Sep 28, 2016 at 01:28 AM
mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DSR horizontal banding

Here is one from 5D4, Ref: https://2.img-dpreview.com/files/p/TS200x100~sample_galleries/9485291827/9400200081.jpg

http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5625/29875765026_48c875b1ae_h.jpg

Original screen shot from DPP 50% view: http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5625/29875765026_0c38d15908_o.jpg

Sep 28, 2016 at 01:36 AM
DtEW
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5DSR horizontal banding

Has your camera been around lasers, eg. concerts, music festivals, etc? That looks like sensor damage.

Sep 28, 2016 at 01:48 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5DSR horizontal banding

Aside from the vertical green bands (bad looking!)-- it's hard to tell considering it looks like you lifted the shadows/exposure a ton. That's not to say you should be happy (or not) with those results. But the green bands look clearly pathological (to anthropomorphize), while the lower amplitude vertical and horizontal banding just looks like typical Canon-pushed-super-far.

But hey, even the 5D2, at the time, didn't bother me so much on the basis of its banding characteristics...

Sep 28, 2016 at 02:56 AM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5DSR horizontal banding

How far was the exposure increased in post-processing? I can see the shutter was at 30s with 400 ISO so generally that should have be enough to get a reasonable night shot.

Sep 28, 2016 at 03:08 AM
DtEW
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5DSR horizontal banding

justruss wrote:
it's hard to tell considering it looks like you lifted the shadows/exposure a ton.

I'll say.

Konablue wrote:
How far was the exposure increased in post-processing? I can see the shutter was at 30s with 400 ISO so generally that should have be enough to get a reasonable night shot.

This is a temperature/tint-adjusted (to match the OP's shot), but otherwise un-processed shot in my collection that roughly matches the OP's sky exposure.

IMG_7031 by DtEW, on Flickr

And this was a 20-second exposure at f/2, ISO4000.

For the OP to have gotten the luminance of the skies to where he did with a 30-second exposure at f/4.5, ISO400... requires a 5-stop push.

To get that strong of a purple haze and pattern banding (not the cyan stripes) in the shadows as observed, a 5-stop push is about right for a 5DS/SR.

Sep 28, 2016 at 04:16 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5DSR horizontal banding

There's also some less well-defined harmonic lines on the RHS of the image.

Sep 28, 2016 at 08:40 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5DSR horizontal banding

Yes, I lifted the shadows a ton. But that's for illustration purposes for the web, it shows up even with far less dramatic boost.

Wonderful, just as the warranty is over, the last thing I need is to pay for a new sensor... May be better off using the 5D4 for night stuff.

Sep 28, 2016 at 10:40 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5DSR horizontal banding

I haven't seen anything like this from my 5DsR yet, but my Sony A7R used to produce similar banding if I lifted the shadows too much.

stanj wrote:
Well this is new (to me). I don't use the camera at night, but even at less extreme boosts the horizontal stripes are quite visible. Do others get them, too? Reminds me of my original 1DS. (that's a wild fire in my town btw)

Sep 28, 2016 at 10:41 AM
RJF photo

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5DSR horizontal banding

Hi Stan, I had the exact same issue with my 5DSR about two weeks after purchasing it. I sent it to CPS and it was fixed quickly, they did not replace the sensor and their explanation of the repair was they "re-mapped the sensor". Anyway it has worked as it should for the 25,000 shots I've done with it since then.

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:06 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5DSR horizontal banding

Even if it's out of warranty many times Canon will give you a courtesy extension if it's within a month or so of expiration.

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:18 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5DSR horizontal banding

Ok, good to hear guys. I will send it in and see what they have to say. If they smack me with a big fee I'll just leave it alone.

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:29 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5DSR horizontal banding

i had that issue on my 5d2 a few years back, but it was so subtle (and out of warranty) i left it alone. in this case, i would definitely send it to canon, hopefully the repair cost isn't high.

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:22 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5DSR horizontal banding

Seems to be only a problem with long exposure NR off. On the shots that I had it on, no problems. Which is probably why I never noticed...

Sep 28, 2016 at 08:29 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5DSR horizontal banding

mttran

Well damn it

Sep 30, 2016 at 08:27 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5DSR horizontal banding

I think this shows that if you push anything to its breaking point it will break. ;-)

Sep 30, 2016 at 09:05 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5DSR horizontal banding

Jeff Simpson wrote:
i had that issue on my 5d2 a few years back, but it was so subtle (and out of warranty) i left it alone. in this case, i would definitely send it to canon, hopefully the repair cost isn't high.

The banding issue is a well described phenomena in the 5D MkII and also to a smaller extent in the 5D MkIII especially seen at high ISO or in high contrast areas with green and red tones. Different than shown here in the original post, this pattern was very consistent within the lines which could show up. I avoid it by not going too high with the ISO setting and by not pushing shadows a lot.

Oct 01, 2016 at 08:49 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5DSR horizontal banding

gdanmitchell wrote:
I think this shows that if you push anything to its breaking point it will break. ;-)

Yes...obviously, but some things break a lot sooner than others.

Oct 01, 2016 at 08:58 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5DSR horizontal banding

retrofocus wrote:
The banding issue is a well described phenomena in the 5D MkII and also to a smaller extent in the 5D MkIII especially seen at high ISO or in high contrast areas with green and red tones. Different than shown here in the original post, this pattern was very consistent within the lines which could show up. I avoid it by not going too high with the ISO setting and by not pushing shadows a lot.

?

I'm talking about the issue the OP has, which is what I had. I'm not talking about the guaranteed shadow banding that plagued the 5d2 and 5d3, which was finally fixed in the 5ds/5dsr and 5d4.

Oct 01, 2016 at 09:11 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.