FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       11              53       54       end

Archive 2016 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

bvphotos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

I bought an FD to M adapter from rainbow imaging. However, it doesn't fit the TAP. Anybody have luck with another cheap adapter. I have only 1 FD lens, so not too keen on buying an expensive adapter.

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:15 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

bvphotos wrote:
I bought an FD to M adapter from rainbow imaging. However, it doesn't fit the TAP. Anybody have luck with another cheap adapter. I have only 1 FD lens, so not too keen on buying an expensive adapter.

The only one reportedly working with TAP is from Leicaist on ebay (~$40). They supply to Techart who sells them for quite a bit more. I'm waiting on mine which should hopefully be here within the next week.

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:45 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

rji2goleez wrote:
It will be interesting to see what you get. I get this result whether using an M-mount or other lens adapted to TAP IF hard stop infinity is there in the first place.

This is good info. Thanks. I'm slowly moving forward with this project.

BTW, my interest is in the normal range only. I've done several Contax G 45 conversions to Sony E mount and one Nikkor-S Millennium to Sony E mount. I have a new Nikkor-S Millennium and am working on a Leica M mount solution that could be used with a conventional Sony E adapter or the TAP adapter.

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:46 PM
genji
• • • •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

JimBuchanan wrote:
This is good info. Thanks. I'm slowly moving forward with this project.

BTW, my interest is in the normal range only. I've done several Contax G 45 conversions to Sony E mount and one Nikkor-S Millennium to Sony E mount. I have a new Nikkor-S Millennium and am working on a Leica M mount solution that could be used with a conventional Sony E adapter or the TAP adapter.

A completely different design I know but the Nikkor H.C. 50/2 in LTM mount is one of my favorite lenses with the TAP.

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:04 AM
Slalom
• • •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Slalom wrote:
LTM/L39/M39x1 Adaptor tested.

Just tested a 50-75mm focal length version with a f1.8 50mm Canon Ltm.

The only issue is the lens aligns a little to the left but that seems to be the threads out of alignment and no way to fix. The LM bit centres nicely with a click, then the ltm bit goes past top centre 10-15 degrees. my Nex LTM adapter centres this lens on the A7II.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291860054531 "M39-L(M) (50-75)"

So as infinity is the only TAP focus position mandated you only have the slight offset for the aperture ring.

I think the above Over centre behaviour is Leica like:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1457566

As that
...Show more

I acquired a leica leitz Adapter and it behaved just like the Ebay one above so the Ebay one works

So Genji Can you add it to the supported adapters Please, Rod

Nov 12, 2016 at 06:21 PM
genji
• • • •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Slalom wrote:
I acquired a leica leitz Adapter and it behaved just like the Ebay one above so the Ebay one works

So Genji Can you add it to the supported adapters Please, Rod

Rod, mounting Leica M lenses on the TAP isn't an issue since the TAP has a native Leica M bayonet. So, given that a Leica LTM -> M adapter simply converts a Leica Thread/Screw/L39/M39 mount into a Leica M mount, I would suggest that there is no good reason to add LTM -> M adapters to the compatible adapter list in the FAQ. The purpose of that list is to indicate which adapters for lenses with a longer flange focal distance (than the Leica M FFD) have been found to work with the TAP.

Nov 13, 2016 at 04:18 AM
navmannz
• • •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

navmannz wrote:
A follow up - yesterday I contacted support@TechArtPro, outlining what had happened, and in contrast to other stories about their slow response, I had a reply within four hours, advising me of a return address and promising a replacement - impressed!

John

My replacement adapter arrived today - NZPost were very slow getting the old one to Hong Kong, but Techart PRO were prompt with turnaround, and it was here just four days after the old one arrived there - I'm impressed with their service - John

Nov 15, 2016 at 02:13 AM
genji
• • • •
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

navmannz wrote:
My replacement adapter arrived today - NZPost were very slow getting the old one to Hong Kong, but Techart PRO were prompt with turnaround, and it was here just four days after the old one arrived there - I'm impressed with their service - John

Great to hear about their almost immediate response to your support request and then the rapid turnaround in supplying a replacement. Out of interest, did you have to pay for shipping in both directions?

Nov 15, 2016 at 06:24 AM
dgurtch
• • •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

I just ordered a Techart Pro, and Fotodiox adapters:C/Y->M, Leica R->M, M42->M, and NikonF->M from B&H. Should arrive tomorrow. I also plan on ordering a Minolta MD->M adapter, as I have several nice Minolta lenses. The compatibility list of adapters was VERY helpful; THANK YOU!
Has anyone found an Exakta adapter that works? I found a Kipon Exakta to Leica M adapter at Adorama for about $78, but I have no way of knowing if it will work. I know Techart sells one for about $100 (OUCH!).
Thanks all
Dave in NJ

Nov 15, 2016 at 03:52 PM
navmannz
• • •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

genji wrote:
Great to hear about their almost immediate response to your support request and then the rapid turnaround in supplying a replacement. Out of interest, did you have to pay for shipping in both directions?

I just paid for shipping to return it to Hong Kong. The unexpected bonus for me is that this one isn't showing any evidence of battery leakage. My first didn't either to start with, and only started leaking after I did an inadvertent reinstall of v. 4 of the firmware - very odd!

Nov 15, 2016 at 09:10 PM
genji
• • • •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

I found myself with two Leicaist FD->M adapters. Since I only need one, I'll ship the other to an FM member who is willing to pay for the postage from Australia. Details are on the Buy-Sell board.

[Updated] That didn't take long. Someone has expressed interest already.

Nov 16, 2016 at 01:32 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

genji wrote:
I found myself with two Leicaist FD->M adapters. Since I only need one, I'll ship the other to an FM member who is willing to pay for the postage from Australia. Details are on the Buy-Sell board.

[Updated] That didn't take long. Someone has expressed interest already.

Really good of you Jonathon. Kind of thing that makes this the best online photo community.

Nov 16, 2016 at 05:16 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

If shooting an 85mm, do we have to pre-focus? at 50mm it seems not, but at what FL do we start to worry about helping the adapter out with focusing?

Nov 16, 2016 at 03:17 PM
genji
• • • •
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

nehemiahphoto wrote:
If shooting an 85mm, do we have to pre-focus? at 50mm it seems not, but at what FL do we start to worry about helping the adapter out with focusing?

I mostly shoot close subjects and find myself frequently pre-focusing with an 85mm. I imagine that primarily landscape shooters would rarely have to pre-focus but other TAP+85mm users might disagree.

[Updated] I was wrong. Even with the lens set at infinity, AF works down to about two meters. (See my later post.)

Edited on Nov 16, 2016 at 04:12 PM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2016 at 03:23 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

genji wrote:
I mostly shoot close subjects and find myself frequently pre-focusing with an 85mm. I imagine that primarily landscape shooters would rarely have to pre-focus but other TAP+85mm users might disagree.

Thanks Genji! Maybe to help me understand, on an 85mm, if the focusing ring is left at infinity, do we get AF from MFD to 30 feet, or 20 feet to infinity or?

Nov 16, 2016 at 03:34 PM
genji
• • • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Thanks Genji! Maybe to help me understand, on an 85mm, if the focusing ring is left at infinity, do we get AF from MFD to 30 feet, or 20 feet to infinity or?

Wow, colour me surprised. With the focusing ring at infinity, I got AF from infinity down to 2.04 meters (6.7 feet) -- checked with a laser measurement device. This was with a Tele-Tessar 85/4 ZM on an A7R2, indoors and outdoors.

Nov 16, 2016 at 04:10 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

genji wrote:
Wow, colour me surprised. With the focusing ring at infinity, I got AF from infinity down to 2.04 meters (6.7 feet) -- checked with a laser measurement device. This was with a Tele-Tessar 85/4 ZM on an A7R2, indoors and outdoors.

Nice!!! Can I get you to do one one more test? What is the maximum coverage we can get if we prioritize mfd? I.e. Can we get mfd to 50 feet without prefocusing? Or MFD to near infinite?

Nov 16, 2016 at 05:04 PM
genji
• • • •
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Nice!!! Can I get you to do one one more test? What is the maximum coverage we can get if we prioritize mfd? I.e. Can we get mfd to 50 feet without prefocusing? Or MFD to near infinite?

Nope. With the focusing ring set at the MFD of 0.9m (2.95ft) the AF range extends from 0.78m (2.62ft) to 1.02m (3.35ft).

And with the focusing ring set at 1.5m (5ft) the AF range extends from 1.05m (3.44ft) to 1.75m (5.74ft).

Nov 17, 2016 at 04:56 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

genji wrote:
Nope. With the focusing ring set at the MFD of 0.9m (2.95ft) the AF range extends from 0.78m (2.62ft) to 1.02m (3.35ft).

And with the focusing ring set at 1.5m (5ft) the AF range extends from 1.05m (3.44ft) to 1.75m (5.74ft).

That's too bad--I was hoping for a little better in this regard. Thanks for checking.

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:24 AM
genji
• • • •
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

nehemiahphoto wrote:
That's too bad--I was hoping for a little better in this regard. Thanks for checking.

I can't help thinking that this depends upon the lens design but the furthest I could move the focus point away from infinity and still have the TAP find focus on a very distant subject is shown by the red arrow in the picture below. Now I'm curious about how other 85mm lenses might behave, particularly the Sonnar C/Y 85/2.8. I have that lens as well as Zuiko OM and Minolta MD 85/2 so as soon as I can find the time I'll try with those lenses.

Nov 17, 2016 at 06:47 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.