1       2       3              26      
       28              53       54       end

Archive 2016 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.27 #1 · p.27 #1 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

genji wrote:
Set the aperture on the camera to F36, F40, or F45 and expose a frame. Depending on the ambient light, I usually set the ISO to 102400 so the shutter speed remains conveniently high. Don't forget to set the aperture back to F2. I imagine lots of people would balk at buying a replacement but I think you did exactly the right thing. I already had two TAP adapters and bought a third when B&H had a special a few months ago. For me it's an indispensable accessory.

Yeah TAP is pretty awesome and I owe many an excellent picture to it. Which is why it was pretty distressing when this happened. Fortunately I'll have a new on by Friday, and can either MF or use a Nikon until then.

Nov 22, 2017 at 07:15 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.27 #2 · p.27 #2 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Hi Arka, in its current state the TAP is almost like a consumable, one needs at least one spare.
Especially if one has more than 1 camera one can use the TAP on.

• My first TAP died - but still can be used for MF.
• My second TAP got bent out of shape when I dropped the camera gear. It can't focus to infinity anymore.
• Third TAP works fine.
• Forth TAP works fine.

K-H.

Nov 22, 2017 at 07:38 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.27 #3 · p.27 #3 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

k-h.a.w wrote:
Hi Arka, in its current state the TAP is almost like a consumable, one needs at least one spare.

• My second TAP got bent out of shape when I dropped the camera gear. It can't focus to infinity anymore.
• Third TAP works fine.
• Forth TAP works fine.

K-H.

I agree - it's good to have an extra. I'm hoping TechArt fixes this one under warranty though. A 3-month useful life for a product of this cost level isn't acceptable.

Nov 22, 2017 at 02:14 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.27 #4 · p.27 #4 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Arka wrote:
I agree - it's good to have an extra. I'm hoping TechArt fixes this one under warranty though. A 3-month useful life for a product of this cost level isn't acceptable.

Yup, of course. K-H.

Nov 22, 2017 at 02:22 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.27 #5 · p.27 #5 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

k-h.a.w wrote:

• Third TAP works fine.
• Forth TAP works fine.

K-H.

Persistence.

I just grabbed another one. I am wondering how it will perform on the A7RIII.

Nov 26, 2017 at 09:21 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.27 #6 · p.27 #6 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Fred Miranda wrote:
Persistence.

Hi Fred, if the A9 is any guide, maybe the A7RIII will add Eye-AF.
That would be my hope!

K-H.

Nov 26, 2017 at 09:31 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.27 #7 · p.27 #7 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

k-h.a.w wrote:
Hi Fred, if the A9 is any guide, maybe the A7RIII will add Eye-AF.
That would be my hope!

K-H.

That's my hope as well. Fingers crossed.

Nov 26, 2017 at 09:33 PM
photomadnz
• • •
p.27 #8 · p.27 #8 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Had a quick play with a customers camera this morning. Was fairly good but not as good as the A9. I’ll have a better go on the next delivery.

And eye focus didn’t ‘offer’ itself when shooting someone. There may be some extras settings required perhaps as I only had 10 mins with it.

Fred Miranda wrote:
Persistence.

Nov 26, 2017 at 09:38 PM
genji
• • • •
p.27 #9 · p.27 #9 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Fred Miranda wrote:
Persistence.

How much much the performance of the TAP is improved will be a major factor in determining whether or not I upgrade to the A7RIII. I await your findings with more than a little interest, Fred.

Nov 26, 2017 at 10:23 PM
photomadnz
• • •
p.27 #10 · p.27 #10 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Just had a more decent play with the TAP and my ZM 35mm 1.4. It was a bit of a dissappointment sadly. If there is a face involved its more positive to lock but general mid distance subjects cause it to be really jumpy and 'confused'.

Nov 28, 2017 at 04:22 PM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.27 #11 · p.27 #11 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

photomadnz wrote:
Just had a more decent play with the TAP and my ZM 35mm 1.4. It was a bit of a dissappointment sadly. If there is a face involved its more positive to lock but general mid distance subjects cause it to be really jumpy and 'confused'.

Did you try playing with the focusing distance setting on the lens?

Nov 28, 2017 at 04:28 PM
photomadnz
• • •
p.27 #12 · p.27 #12 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Did you try playing with the focusing distance setting on the lens?

I wasnt within range that it needed re-adjusting. Ive had this setup for quite a while on the R2.

Nov 28, 2017 at 04:42 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.27 #13 · p.27 #13 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

genji wrote:
How much much the performance of the TAP is improved will be a major factor in determining whether or not I upgrade to the A7RIII. I await your findings with more than a little interest, Fred.

I can tell you that EyeAF works with the A7R III. It's not perfect but it's nice to have.

Dec 02, 2017 at 01:28 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.27 #14 · p.27 #14 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

genji wrote:

Just tried it on your behalf, Jonathan.
Seems a fair bit better, and least on the C-Sonnar which I was trying it on. But not thousands of bucks better unless you want other features.
Eye AF works really quite well for central and slightly off centre subjects, but is already shaky by the rule of thirds point.

Dec 02, 2017 at 06:12 AM
genji
• • • •
p.27 #15 · p.27 #15 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Fred Miranda wrote:
I can tell you that EyeAF works with the A7R III. It's not perfect but it's nice to have.

---------------------------------------------

Fred Miranda wrote:
I can tell you for sure that it's much easier to manual focus the 55/1.8 and 35/2.8 lenses now.

DavidBM wrote:
Just tried it on your behalf, Jonathan.
Seems a fair bit better, and least on the C-Sonnar which I was trying it on. But not thousands of bucks better unless you want other features.
Eye AF works really quite well for central and slightly off centre subjects, but is already shaky by the rule of thirds point.

Well, that's it, then. Done and dusted. As it happens I was mostly interested in the C-Sonnar so, David, I very much appreciate your trying it with that lens and the TAP. But I'm also doing much of my work with the FE 35/2.8 and 55/1.8 so Fred's feedback on those lenses does kind of make it "thousands of bucks better". It'll be interesting to see how long I'll have to wait after placing the order.

Dec 02, 2017 at 06:30 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.27 #16 · p.27 #16 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

genji wrote:

Well, that's it, then. Done and dusted. As it happens I was mostly interested in the C-Sonnar so, David, I very much appreciate your trying it with that lens and the TAP. But I'm also doing much of my work with the FE 35/2.8 and 55/1.8 so Fred's feedback on those lenses does kind of make it "thousands of bucks better". It'll be interesting to see how long I'll have to wait after placing the order.

Ah yes. Manual focus with AF lenses is hugely improved, Hugely.
I’m still trying to work out whether it’s

(a) only that the very long throw you get when moving most FBW lenses now produces easily discernible changes with small movements, because of the better evf

Or

(b) in addition something has been done with the camera firmware to make them less twitchy. At first I thought they had made them linear...

Dec 02, 2017 at 07:32 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.27 #17 · p.27 #17 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

genji wrote:

Manual focus is much improved. I don't see that 'interpolated' image with artifacts when magnifying my subject. It's more fluid and true to life now.
I always thought that MF for the Batis and Zony lenses were garbage but not anymore. It's very easy to nail focus using this new viewfinder. (I'm in high quality mode)

Dec 02, 2017 at 11:10 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.27 #18 · p.27 #18 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

After this big read, surprised to find reviews (apart from Phillip's which directs people here) that do not mention the TAP wobble and rather Rube Goldberg inner workings of the adapter. It's a very important product concept for mirrorless (now and near future) so it's sad to hear they are not assigning TAP its due priority. I'm good with a dumb adapter/EVF but my partner is not a natural MF person, and we use 100/3.5, 28/2.8 and several others, all under 300g.

A beefed up 200g v2 would be superb, the 133g v1 is obviously aimed at minimizing weight. They need to work towards much better engineering MCBF (Mean Cycles Between Failure) for 'in scope' lenses. Someone else will, surely since the adapter concept enables whole ranges to AF and seems quite extensible.

As for TAP weight limits, how about a Nikon 400/3.5, lol. SAR has this video today with the pod-mounted lens in front of his a7rIII with, according to him, good results. I guess the rear of the adapter may be stronger but the bare body is 650 grams or so. It's odd to watch the body slide back and forth.

Dec 15, 2017 at 09:38 PM
genji
• • • •
p.27 #19 · p.27 #19 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

philip_pj wrote:
After this big read, surprised to find reviews (apart from Phillip's which directs people here) that do not mention the TAP wobble and rather Rube Goldberg inner workings of the adapter. It's a very important product concept for mirrorless (now and near future) so it's sad to hear they are not assigning TAP its due priority. I'm good with a dumb adapter/EVF but my partner is not a natural MF person, and we use 100/3.5, 28/2.8 and several others, all under 300g.

A beefed up 200g v2 would be superb, the 133g v1 is obviously aimed at minimizing weight. They
...Show more

Your points are well made. As you point out, whereas "the TAP wobble and rather Rube Goldberg inner workings of the adapter" are discussed comprehensively in this thread, I've yet to see a "review" that mentions these issues. The only information concerning photo equipment that I now trust are the reviews/articles on Phillip's site and reports on this site from certain members. I have three copies of the TAP and haven't encountered the wobble yet but that's because a brief experiment with the Distagon C/Y 35/1.4 convinced me that the 700g weight limit was wildly optimistic. From that point on I restricted my use to lenses that weigh no more than 300g (including any secondary adapter). Jim Buchanan's post earlier in the thread suggests that a helicoid (rather than the two lower axels) would solve the problem. I've wondered whether an additional two upper axels might be adequate to stop the droop that leads to the wobble.

Dec 16, 2017 at 05:21 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.27 #20 · p.27 #20 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

genji wrote:
Your points are well made. As you point out, whereas "the TAP wobble and rather Rube Goldberg inner workings of the adapter" are discussed comprehensively in this thread, I've yet to see a "review" that mentions these issues. The only information concerning photo equipment that I now trust are the reviews/articles on Phillip's site and reports on this site from certain members. I have three copies of the TAP and haven't encountered the wobble yet but that's because a brief experiment with the Distagon C/Y 35/1.4 convinced me that the 700g weight limit was wildly optimistic. From that point on
...Show more

I actually doubt that anyone else will come to the party (I was surprised by the copy that came out). Here's why: this was a cool idea, but my guess is that there is a more or less fixed number of people who want it - the folk already using M lenses on Sony, and that number isn't growing very fast. In which case most of us who wanted something like TAP already have it. And how many of us would buy another, bigger and better one? Well a few, but not enough I fear to make it a commercial proposition. A bit like the G adapter. They made it, sold, made some case but the market soon saturates and it's time to run away. Hope I'm wrong.

Dec 16, 2017 at 05:53 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.