1       2       3              25      
       27              53       54       end

Archive 2016 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

nekrosoft13
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #1 · p.26 #1 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

genji wrote:
What camera are you using? I've been very happy with the Techart TA-GA3 (Contax G to Sony E) autofocus adapter on the A7R2.

how do you contax g lenses?

Oct 04, 2017 at 12:18 PM
genji
• • • •
p.26 #2 · p.26 #2 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I've owned one a couple times. I found the AF module (ported from the ancient a65) frustrating and insufficient for essentially anything moving. No EyeAF, loss of light and center focus only, not great on lowlight, plus its large. I typically have several lenses that are TAPable, so I'd prefer a m mount adapter. I also like the close focusing of the TAP. It's one of my most used aspects of it.

Thanks for the link Phillip. A bit pricey :/

I felt sure that the LA-EA4 would be a poor substitute for the TAP but, since I haven't used one, I was reluctant to make that assertion. Thanks for confirming my intuition.

Oct 04, 2017 at 07:58 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #3 · p.26 #3 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I've owned one a couple times. I found the AF module (ported from the ancient a65) frustrating and insufficient for essentially anything moving. No EyeAF, loss of light and center focus only, not great on lowlight, plus its large. I typically have several lenses that are TAPable, so I'd prefer a m mount adapter. I also like the close focusing of the TAP. It's one of my most used aspects of it.

Thanks for the link Phillip. A bit pricey :/

how would you control aperture?

TAP should be last resort IMO, when it moves the glass, it's not perfectly parallel, it's easy to get tilt. My first TAP had bad tilt, had to get another one, and still has mild tilt

Oct 04, 2017 at 09:08 PM
genji
• • • •
p.26 #4 · p.26 #4 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Charlie N wrote:
how would you control aperture?

TAP should be last resort IMO, when it moves the glass, it's not perfectly parallel, it's easy to get tilt. My first TAP had bad tilt, had to get another one, and still has mild tilt

The Kipon adapter I linked to has an aperture control ring.

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:39 PM
foox

p.26 #5 · p.26 #5 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Hello,
I am looking for the way to use fujica-x (early eighty Fuji reflex cameras) mount lenses with TAP. Any ideas or suggestions - welcome.. Help please?

Oct 06, 2017 at 11:26 AM
artur5
• • •
p.26 #6 · p.26 #6 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

I doubt very much that there’re adapters for Fuji-AX lenses to M mount cameras but I may be wrong. Anyway, I searched on Ebay right now and found none.
In all likelihood your only solution is a direct adapter for Fuji-AX to Sony-E, meaning that you won’t have AF.

Oct 06, 2017 at 11:58 AM
nekrosoft13
• •
p.26 #7 · p.26 #7 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

so I bought TAP, but now i'm thinking about returning it...

I read some stories that after few months it starts wobbling? that there is no support to hold the lens?

That it gets loose? design flaws?

Any input?

Oct 11, 2017 at 01:11 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.26 #8 · p.26 #8 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

nekrosoft13 wrote:
so I bought TAP, but now i'm thinking about returning it...

I read some stories that after few months it starts wobbling? that there is no support to hold the lens?

That it gets loose? design flaws?

Any input?

I would just enjoy the adapter and not worry too much about it. It could be a bigger issue when using heavy lenses with it but some members are using it for a while without problems. IMO, it's a design flaw but not such a big deal in practical terms as long as you don't need critical centering.

Oct 16, 2017 at 01:18 PM
Blufred

p.26 #9 · p.26 #9 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

I have a newbie question:
Is it possible to edit the lens data stored in the TAP I.e. to change the 50mm data to f1.0?
I can’t find the option in the iOS app

Nov 16, 2017 at 07:43 AM
Zplusc3
• •
p.26 #10 · p.26 #10 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

I'm planning to pick up a a7rii or possibly an a7riii if i can gather up enough money.
Anyways I'm wondering if I should get the TAP, the one lens I really want to use is the nFD85L.
Does anyone have any experience with this lens.
Is this lens too heavy for the TAP?
I know that the lens needs to be prefocused close before letting the TAP do the rest.

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:02 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.26 #11 · p.26 #11 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Zplusc3 wrote:
I'm planning to pick up a a7rii or possibly an a7riii if i can gather up enough money.
Anyways I'm wondering if I should get the TAP, the one lens I really want to use is the nFD85L.
Does anyone have any experience with this lens.
Is this lens too heavy for the TAP?
I know that the lens needs to be prefocused close before letting the TAP do the rest.

The Canon FD 1.2/85 and nFD have a fixed back element and are quite sensitive to too short adapters. So mechanical considerations aside performance will suffer with the TAP.

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:34 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.26 #12 · p.26 #12 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Phillip Reeve wrote:
The Canon FD 1.2/85 and nFD have a fixed back element and are quite sensitive to too short adapters. So mechanical considerations aside performance will suffer with the TAP.

Interesting I hadn’t thought of that.
I had an FD 1.2/85 back soon after the original A7r was announced, which was much softer than I expected on axis at portrait distance wide open. I sold it off since I was only using it from f2. Don’t recall the adapter, but probably a cheap one....

Nov 16, 2017 at 05:14 PM
genji
• • • •
p.26 #13 · p.26 #13 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Blufred wrote:
I have a newbie question:
Is it possible to edit the lens data stored in the TAP I.e. to change the 50mm data to f1.0?
I can’t find the option in the iOS app

This can only be done with the separate Android-only LM-EA7-CONFIG app. Currently it’s a waste of time anyway since the EXIF will show F2 no matter what maximum aperture you have set via the config app. Techart’s original intention was for the maximum aperture value to be recorded into the EXIF via the app but they couldn't get it to work properly.

Nov 16, 2017 at 05:33 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.26 #14 · p.26 #14 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Fred Miranda wrote:
I would just enjoy the adapter and not worry too much about it. It could be a bigger issue when using heavy lenses with it but some members are using it for a while without problems. IMO, it's a design flaw but not such a big deal in practical terms as long as you don't need critical centering.

And when you do need critical centering (e.g., landscapes), don't use TAP. Use a simple Metabones adapter instead. I recently ran into this issue while shooting some cityscapes... for the life of me I could not figure out why everything I was shooting at f/8 on a wide angle lens was so soft. I switched adapters and it solved the problem. I may ask for an exchange, but as of now I'm not too deeply troubled by the issue because when I need TAP, I'm not worried about issues of corner-to-corner sharpness. Far from it really.

Nov 16, 2017 at 05:39 PM
Zplusc3
• •
p.26 #15 · p.26 #15 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Thank you for the info Phillip,
I'll stick with a regular adapter.

Nov 16, 2017 at 06:57 PM
GrTFS

p.26 #16 · p.26 #16 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Hi,

I'm planning on buying the A7r Mk111 and am interested in the TechART Pro, but probably not for the use that most people here are intending.

I'm interested in using it to facilitate the focus adjustment of Sony's new Imaging Edge software's Remote app for tethered shooting via PC/Mac.

Specifically, I want to use the Voigtlander 40mm 2.8 lens on the A7r Mk111, to shoot tethered using the Remote software and *crucially* be able to focus via the software (which has 3 focus steps forward and back).

I expect it would be the same as with any of the A7 cameras. Anyone know if this works?

(The new Imaging Edge software is available for download here)

Nov 18, 2017 at 07:10 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.26 #17 · p.26 #17 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Has anyone dealt with the adapter getting stuck at maximum extension? I wonder if it's crashed or something? Any way to reset it (if I don't have an Android device?).

Nov 21, 2017 at 10:01 PM
genji
• • • •
p.26 #18 · p.26 #18 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Arka wrote:
Has anyone dealt with the adapter getting stuck at maximum extension? I wonder if it's crashed or something? Any way to reset it (if I don't have an Android device?).

The Android app is for setting focal lengths other than the defaults so it's probably not going to be any help in resetting the TAP. I would first try reinstalling the firmware with the iOS app. If that doesn't work I would try different settings for the parking feature (which determines what the adapter does when switching from AF to MF mode):

F36 parks the adapter at infinity focus
F40 parks the adapter at closest focus
F45 parks the adapter at the current focus

You'll need to switch from AF to MF mode (I have a custom button set on the camera to do this) in order to try to get the adapter to park at infinity focus (i.e. not extended).

If none of these methods works, it might be a mechanical issue.

Nov 22, 2017 at 12:32 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.26 #19 · p.26 #19 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

genji wrote:
The Android app is for setting focal lengths other than the defaults so it's probably not going to be any help in resetting the TAP. I would first try reinstalling the firmware with the iOS app. If that doesn't work I would try different settings for the parking feature (which determines what the adapter does when switching from AF to MF mode):

F36 parks the adapter at infinity focus
F40 parks the adapter at closest focus
F45 parks the adapter at the current focus

You'll need to switch from AF to MF mode (I have a custom button set on the camera to do
...Show more

Thanks for the advice. Firmware reinstall was the first thing I tried - no change. I also have MF mapped to a custom button but that's not returning the adapter to the ∞ parking point. How do I set parking points via F-stop? Just change F-stops and toggle between MF and AF modes?

Unfortunately, I think this may be mechanical. I need a working adapter so I ordered another one through B&H's Black Friday special, and am getting reaching out to TechArt to get warranty repair on this one. Too bad.. it wasn't wobbling or anything, and worked great until today.

Nov 22, 2017 at 01:41 AM
genji
• • • •
p.26 #20 · p.26 #20 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Set the aperture on the camera to F36, F40, or F45 and expose a frame. Depending on the ambient light, I usually set the ISO to 102400 so the shutter speed remains conveniently high. Don't forget to set the aperture back to F2. I imagine lots of people would balk at buying a replacement but I think you did exactly the right thing. I already had two TAP adapters and bought a third when B&H had a special a few months ago. For me it's an indispensable accessory.

Nov 22, 2017 at 04:48 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.