1       2       3              21      
       23              53       54       end

Archive 2016 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

uhoh7
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #1 · p.22 #1 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

genji wrote:
This occurred to me when I saw Jim's photo but I dismissed the idea, incorrectly assuming that the additional guide would be geared, necessitating a large bump to enclose it. But, since it would simply function as an additional "support rail", it could be accommodated with a small bump at perhaps the 1:30 position, using the whole bayonet mount as our clock. This would certainly mar the smooth lines of the TAP but, if it addresses the wobble issue, that's a small price to pay. The first step, thought, is to get Techart to admit there's a problem, which they
...Show more

Yes, that's what I see too. Another bump on the "heavy duty" version is no biggie, I don't think.

Would also be interesting to see a loose one apart and learn what is wearing, exactly.

We need to shake that tree!! Who knows them?

Apr 17, 2017 at 01:40 PM
genji
• • • •
p.22 #2 · p.22 #2 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

uhoh7 wrote:
Yes, that's what I see too. Another bump on the "heavy duty" version is no biggie, I don't think.

Would also be interesting to see a loose one apart and learn what is wearing, exactly.

We need to shake that tree!! Who knows them?

It appears that multiple FM members have returned their TAP for replacement because of the wobble. And Fred has definitely raised the issue with them, even sending a video, so they're certainly aware of the issue. I can only guess that they're grappling with the embarrassment of admitting that the problem exists and the expense of fixing it.

Apr 17, 2017 at 04:28 PM
Parariss
• • •
p.22 #3 · p.22 #3 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

One these was in my purchase plans.
Key word being, "was."
I'd still like one of they'd revise it but not otherwise.

Apr 17, 2017 at 06:31 PM
ratherfish
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.22 #4 · p.22 #4 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

My opinion is that Techart and their predecessor variants have a history of releasing innovative autofocus adapters for the Sony e mount (e.g. Contax G and Leica M) that ultimately fall just a bit short of their original promise, then slowly disappear from the market. When they were actively promoting the Techart Pro right after its initial release, I believe Techart had a link to this thread on their website. I can no longer find that link on their main page. At that time, they were also actively responding to customer queries on their website. Their customer interaction now seems to have slowed rather markedly. It all seems strangely quiet at Techart now. I think they may be having an "oops" moment in response to this wobble issue. I predict that the Techart Pro will fade slowly into the sunset, like the Contax G autofocus adapter before it, as opposed to them releasing an updated version to solve the wobble problem. We'll see. I hope I'm wrong. I would really like to see them succeed with this good idea. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy using my to-date wobble-free copy of the Techart Pro, albeit a bit more sparingly now.

Apr 17, 2017 at 08:31 PM
genji
• • • •
p.22 #5 · p.22 #5 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Pessimistic as it is I can't help but agree with your analysis. Like you, I'll continue to use my currently wobble-free copies of the Techart PRO but, as you say, a bit more sparingly now. In a perverse way, I'm now glad I bought two.

ratherfish wrote:
My opinion is that Techart and their predecessor variants have a history of releasing innovative autofocus adapters for the Sony e mount (e.g. Contax G and Leica M) that ultimately fall just a bit short of their original promise, then slowly disappear from the market. When they were actively promoting the Techart Pro right after its initial release, I believe Techart had a link to this thread on their website. I can no longer find that link on their main page. At that time, they were also actively responding to customer queries on their website. Their customer interaction now seems
...Show more

Apr 17, 2017 at 09:04 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.22 #6 · p.22 #6 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

genji wrote:
Pessimistic as it is I can't help but agree with your analysis. Like you, I'll continue to use my currently wobble-free copies of the Techart PRO but, as you say, a bit more sparingly now. In a perverse way, I'm now glad I bought two.

Yep I think the problem is that these adapters are the kind of thing that is likely to saturate the market; a limited number of people want G to E or M to E autofocus adapters, and once they have them, the market dries up. You might be able to sell a fixed version as an upgrade to some of those folk; but not many. And the number of people who come to it late won't be enough to justify more R&D..

Apr 17, 2017 at 09:14 PM
Robert E
• • •
p.22 #7 · p.22 #7 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Been reading this thread for a while with interest. Checked mine today, no wobble at all or even a hint of it. The screws in the mount are as tight as they could be and always have been. Tried it with two different M lenses, a Zeiss and a Leica, both result in fantastic shots that are sharp in focus. So it's my thought that as long as you don't use it with too heavy of a lens, you should be fine and wobble free for a long time. Can't beat the quick on the spot auto focus on my Sony A7Rm2 with this TAP. Hope the rest of you guys have as good as luck with yours.

Apr 17, 2017 at 09:22 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.22 #8 · p.22 #8 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

ratherfish wrote:
My opinion is that Techart and their predecessor variants have a history of releasing innovative autofocus adapters for the Sony e mount (e.g. Contax G and Leica M) that ultimately fall just a bit short of their original promise, then slowly disappear from the market. When they were actively promoting the Techart Pro right after its initial release, I believe Techart had a link to this thread on their website. I can no longer find that link on their main page. At that time, they were also actively responding to customer queries on their website. Their customer interaction now seems
...Show more

To be fair to TechArt, it seems they have replaced defective adapters.

There is still a link to our FAQ on their page:
http://techartpro.com/downloads-2/

Apr 17, 2017 at 09:25 PM
ratherfish
• • •
p.22 #9 · p.22 #9 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

I stand corrected on the link. I didn't think to look for a link to this thread on their downloads page, just on their main page and their FAQ page. Fred, I understand that you returned your TAP due to the wobble issue. Did your replacement develop the wobble too? If it's a flawed design, that's what one would expect. If so, we may get them replaced under warranty, but the replacements would likely then develop the same wobble unless the design flaw is corrected. As far as the likelihood of that, I agree with David's comment re saturation of a limited market. Interestingly, I think B & H, Amazon, and Adorama are all still selling the Techart Pro on their websites. I guess we'll see how all of this ultimately shakes out. I do enjoy using the TAP and I hope mine stays wobble-free for at least a while longer!

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:29 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.22 #10 · p.22 #10 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

ratherfish wrote:
I stand corrected on the link. I didn't think to look for a link to this thread on their downloads page, just on their main page and their FAQ page. Fred, I understand that you returned your TAP due to the wobble issue. Did your replacement develop the wobble too? If it's a flawed design, that's what one would expect. If so, we may get them replaced under warranty, but the replacements would likely then develop the same wobble unless the design flaw is corrected. As far as the likelihood of that, I agree with David's comment re saturation of
...Show more

As I wrote a couple pages back, the 'lens carrier' is not properly supported towards the top section of the adapter. Eventually, that area will get some play and depending on usage, it will likely get worse. That's what happened with both of my adapters. The first didn't have any play for a while (I would say 5 months). Then the first signs of wobble started and it quickly became quite severe. (the one in the video)

Techart promptly replaced it and the new copy was perfect for a while but eventually developed the same issue. I still have it but do not use it much because it's wobbly.
For the record I only used light lenses on them. (ZM 35/1.4, ZM 50/1.5C, Leica 90/2.5 and ZM 85/4).

The adapter will work even with a severe wobble so it will never be unusable. However, mount parallelism is very important, and therefore I would not use it for critical work.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:10 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.22 #11 · p.22 #11 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Has anyone used a large tripod collared lens with the tap hanging and focusing?

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:12 PM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.22 #12 · p.22 #12 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
Has anyone used a large tripod collared lens with the tap hanging and focusing?

DavidBM tried it with the Canon FD 300mm f/2.8L in that configuration and apparently it works very well:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1480358/1#13984153

Apr 18, 2017 at 01:28 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.22 #13 · p.22 #13 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Fred Miranda wrote:
As I wrote a couple pages back, the 'lens carrier' is not properly supported towards the top section of the adapter. Eventually, that area will get some play and depending on usage, it will likely get worse. That's what happened with both of my adapters. The first didn't have any play for a while (I would say 5 months). Then the first signs of wobble started and it quickly became quite severe. (the one in the video)

Techart promptly replaced it and the new copy was perfect for a while but eventually developed the same issue. I still have it
...Show more

Fred do you think that with wobble the loss of parallelism would be enough to notice effects when using a normal to short tele. wide aperture lens at portrait distances (I'm hoping tha since only an eye will be in critical focus anyway, the effects will be slight differences in degree of OOF in the bokeh, which may not be noticeable). This has become the usual TAP scenario for me, as it's when speed of work matters over precision and pleasure.)

Apr 18, 2017 at 03:46 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.22 #14 · p.22 #14 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

DavidBM wrote:
Fred do you think that with wobble the loss of parallelism would be enough to notice effects when using a normal to short tele. wide aperture lens at portrait distances (I'm hoping tha since only an eye will be in critical focus anyway, the effects will be slight differences in degree of OOF in the bokeh, which may not be noticeable)

It should certainly affect applications like landscapes, architecture or when shooting at smaller apertures.
For portraits or wider apertures it should not be a big deal.

Apr 18, 2017 at 03:53 PM
OpticalFlow
• •
p.22 #15 · p.22 #15 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Just received my Techart Pro today, after upgrading from A7 to A7ii.

Two major issues for me, maybe the first one could be added to the FAQ:

1. The dual range Summicron is not compatible with the techart pro. When set to infinity, the range finder coupling binds with the adapter. It can only be mounted when set to about 2m. Then, it will focus to about 10 meters with the TAP, but when trying to focus to infinity the rangefinder coupling binds and everything locks up.
I did know that there is an issue with the DR Summicron and the Leica M9, but I wasn't aware the problem exists on the TAP as well. Not sure whether I should try and trade my DR for a non-DR summicron rigid or a more modern summicron.

2. One of my M lenses, a 1960s chrome Elmarit 90 is very hard to mount on the adapter. Even with Leica lenses, there are some tolerances from lens bajonet to lens bajonet and it appears that the techart doesn't accomodate for these.

For the time being (while waiting for my K&F concept C/Y to M adapter) I can only test my two 90 mm lenses, the old Elmarit (which is hard to mount) and the Elmar C.

May 10, 2017 at 05:14 PM
genji
• • • •
p.22 #16 · p.22 #16 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

OpticalFlow wrote:
Just received my Techart Pro today, after upgrading from A7 to A7ii.

Two major issues for me, maybe the first one could be added to the FAQ:

1. The dual range Summicron is not compatible with the techart pro. When set to infinity, the range finder coupling binds with the adapter. It can only be mounted when set to about 2m. Then, it will focus to about 10 meters with the TAP, but when trying to focus to infinity the rangefinder coupling binds and everything locks up.
I did know that there is an issue with the DR Summicron and the Leica M9,
...Show more

Thanks. I've added the DR Summicron incompatibility issue to the FAQ. Out of interest, is it incompatible with all digital M models, or just with the M9?

May 10, 2017 at 06:56 PM
OpticalFlow
• •
p.22 #17 · p.22 #17 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

genji wrote:
Thanks. I've added the DR Summicron incompatibility issue to the FAQ. Out of interest, is it incompatible with all digital M models, or just with the M9?

Thank you.

To be honest, I'm not sure as I don't own a digital M and have never looked at buying one. I only know about the incompatibility with the M9 because forum user Charles.K posted about having his DR Summicron modified so it would fit on his digital M body a few years back.

I didn't anticipate this problem with the Techart, as the rangefinder coupling doesn't interfere with any of the dumb M to Sony E mount adapters I've tried.
Anyway, I quite like the Techart, but I don't want to start trading my summicron in order to use it and I am also worried about the wobble issue showing up in the future, so I have decided to send it back for a refund (I bought through a local seller here in Germany, so I do have the option to do this).

May 13, 2017 at 12:29 PM
genji
• • • •
p.22 #18 · p.22 #18 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

OpticalFlow wrote:
To be honest, I'm not sure as I don't own a digital M and have never looked at buying one. I only know about the incompatibility with the M9 because forum user Charles.K posted about having his DR Summicron modified so it would fit on his digital M body a few years back.

I didn't anticipate this problem with the Techart, as the rangefinder coupling doesn't interfere with any of the dumb M to Sony E mount adapters I've tried.
Anyway, I quite like the Techart, but I don't want to start trading my summicron in order to use it and I
...Show more

Stephen Gandy's Dual Range Summicron page has lots of useful information, including the observation that "The DR will NOT mount on any digital Leica M8/8.2/9/10 that I have tried. Something about the lens mount is not the same as most Leica M lenses." So the issue may be with the lens rather than with the TAP. Even so, in your situation I'd keep a classic lens like the DR Summicron rather than replace it with another that worked with the TAP.

May 13, 2017 at 08:15 PM
OpticalFlow
• •
p.22 #19 · p.22 #19 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

Sure, the rangefinder coupling protrudes further with the DR summicron, so in that sense it is an issue with the objective itself. However, from my understanding the interference on the digital M cameras is with their rangefinder mechanism in the body.
An adapter for a mirrorless camera doesn't have a rangefinder mechanism so to me it was still rather surprising that the DR summicron would cause this issue. Anyway, I have meanwhile returned my TAP. I may have a try with the TA GA-3 instead as I have the Contax G 45mm and 90 mm.

May 17, 2017 at 04:18 AM
ario arioldi

p.22 #20 · p.22 #20 · Techart PRO LM-EA7 FAQ

The DR Summicron is compatible with the Leica M10 but is not compatible with the Techart Pro (it does mount but the focus ring cannot be turned past about 2m).

May 18, 2017 at 08:24 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.