Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Landscape Photography in Mid-Dec for 10 days: Where to go?

Schlotkins
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Landscape Photography in Mid-Dec for 10 days: Where to go?

So I just found out I'll have 10 days in mid-December to go on a trip for landscape photography. I have a lot of things on my bucket list but most it seems spring or fall are the best times to go and I'd winter or summer (Southern Hemisphere) are not necessarily the best. So the question: where to go?

I'm leaning toward either Tasmania, New Zealand, or Patagonia but I am definitely open.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Chris

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:18 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Landscape Photography in Mid-Dec for 10 days: Where to go?

Well, if you decide to go to New Zealand, I volunteer to carry your bags for you!

Sep 27, 2016 at 01:08 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Landscape Photography in Mid-Dec for 10 days: Where to go?

You really have to narrow it down a bit by geography, climate, and level of experience with harsh weather. I love Death Valley before Christmas. If you are willing to deal with extreme cold the Canmore/Banff area has some really nice winter opportunities. NZ and Australia are certainly options, the South Island can get some fresh dusting of snow at the higher elevations. Grand Canyon. Oregon Coast. NorCal Coast. The list goes on and on. Patagonia in December is a zoo. Either early November or late April.

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:08 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Landscape Photography in Mid-Dec for 10 days: Where to go?

iceland

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:09 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Landscape Photography in Mid-Dec for 10 days: Where to go?

Dustin Gent wrote:
iceland

I would echo Dustin's suggestion on Iceland.
In fact I am heading to Iceland on 10/14 for 18 days travel.
This is my third and my husband's first.
After being there twice, I will be a good travel agent to my husband, for his being my travel companion!!
Yes, Iceland!!

Sep 28, 2016 at 08:24 AM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Landscape Photography in Mid-Dec for 10 days: Where to go?

Thanks for all the replies! Iceland is a great idea... but I'm heading there in January already. Oregon/CA are also great idea, but I think since I live in CA already I can tackle those where I don't have so much time on my hands.

At this point, given I'm going to Iceland in Jan and Lofoten in February I think somewhere more on the warm side would be best. Am I missing something in South America? Central? Costa Rica? Bali? I guess I'm wondering if Dec is the best time to go some places for landscape photography I'm not thinking about.

Thanks again!!
Chris

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:08 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Landscape Photography in Mid-Dec for 10 days: Where to go?

From what I have read South America has tons of lightly explored areas. There is the equivalent of Rt 66 running along the foothills of the Andes and traversing most of Argentina and (and likely Brazil).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Route_40_(Argentina)

If you spend quality time with Google Earth and the web you are likely to find many lightly visited areas with interesting terrain. Brazil has tons of jungles and tropical climates. Then there is Africa - Namibia, Victoria Falls, South Africa, Zimbabwe if you are into safaris/wildlife. And of course Galapagos. If you are into colder endeavors look into an arctic expedition leaving from Tierra Del Fuego.

Sep 28, 2016 at 04:26 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Landscape Photography in Mid-Dec for 10 days: Where to go?

Or Patagonia which is getting higher on my bucket list.

Sep 29, 2016 at 07:24 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Landscape Photography in Mid-Dec for 10 days: Where to go?

On the second thought, New Zealand in December would give you beautiful flowers especially around Lake TeKapo!! Highly recommend it. Try to book through Christchurch from USA because your checked in baggage regulation for domestic flight from Auckland would give you some headache!

Sep 30, 2016 at 07:16 AM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Landscape Photography in Mid-Dec for 10 days: Where to go?

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
On the second thought, New Zealand in December would give you beautiful flowers especially around Lake TeKapo!! Highly recommend it. Try to book through Christchurch from USA because your checked in baggage regulation for domestic flight from Auckland would give you some headache!

I think a 2-3 day stop in Sydney and then New Zealand it is. Thank you all!
Chris

Sep 30, 2016 at 01:03 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Landscape Photography in Mid-Dec for 10 days: Where to go?

Schlotkins wrote:
I think a 2-3 day stop in Sydney and then New Zealand it is. Thank you all!
Chris

Make sure to visit Lake Matheson for the sunrise!!!

Oct 01, 2016 at 09:02 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.