New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2016 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

eleazar123

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

I posted this on another forum but I'm not really getting any feedback, so I thought I'd try asking the same questions here. I hope I'm not breaking any rules :\

So as the title says, I'm sold on the A7R II. I've been testing the 5D Mark IV for the last few days, and I am largely underwhelmed. After reading comments from A7RII owners, I decided to start researching. After hours of youtube scouring, I think I've made up my mind and I'm going to switch to the Sony A7R II.

I just have some quick questions that I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me with

My current setup is a 5D Mark III (I just sold this last week), Sigma 35mm ART, Sigma 85mm DG 1.4, and Canon 70-200mm 2.8L

99% of what I shoot is outdoor portraits, and many times it's of kids (ie. uncooperative models, running around, etc.)

Onto the questions:

1. Can I get away with using my existing lenses with a metabones IV adapter? I've read some reports saying metabones is buggy and not reliable, but then I've read others that say the latest metabones adapter lets you use canon lenses as if they were native. This is a huge deal for me, as I can't really afford to lose the money/time selling my existing lenses and finding native alternatives. Eye focus sounds amazing. This is my biggest concern on switching to Sony, so I'd really love to hear experiences from people still shooting Canon glass.

2. Where is the best place to buy a used Sony A7R II? And what would be a fair price? (obviously this is a bit subjective, but I'd appreciate any feedback). It seems like FM has a lot more Sony activity than POTN, so maybe I've already answered the first question. On price, I'm thinking if I can somehow procure one for $2,200, then maybe I could sell it for $1,900 or so if the A7R III is released in Q2 2017 (see below for more concerns).

3. I'm worried that I'll pay a premium to buy the A7RII now and then Sony will come out with the A7R III in June next year. For all of you recent Sony converts, are you worried about this as well? I'd just hate to lose a bunch upgrading to the A7RIII if it releases in 9 months. Coming from Canon, I'm definitely not used to having to worry about hardware being replaced so quickly. I see that the A7R came out in October 2013, and the A7R II came out in June 2015. So it appears to be a 2 year cycle currently. So then I'm thinking maybe I should just pick up a used 5D Mark II to use until the A7R III is announced and then sell it as soon as I can preorder the A7III... decisions decisions. I did see this thread: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1452302. Looks like a lot of mixed opinions and I think the price you can get matters a lot on whether it's better to wait.

4. One last question: Considering that I primarily shoot portraits and I can't really switch to Sony glass for a significant amount of time, am I making a mistake in switching and that a different camera would serve me better? (even maybe staying with Canon or something)

I would appreciate any and all feedback and I'd especially love to hear from any people that switched from Canon recently and your thoughts on metabones (or other brands) adapters and focus speed, eye AF, etc.

Thanks everyone! (if I broke any rules on this, it is definitely unintentional. This is my first post on FM)

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:17 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

First re: Metabones adapter. Matabones has been updating the firmware of its adapter on a continuous basis. The IV version enables user to do so directly, which is a significant improvement over the older version. The latest firmware lets you switch between the green mode and advance mode. You can go to their website and look up the difference between the two yourself.

I have used Metabones IV for quite some time and in general, my experience has been positive. I even took my Canon 400mm f/2.8 Mark II lens plus Metabones IV to Costa Rica for wildlife shooting. The adapter can drive the AF system of the lens plus a 1.4X TC. It was accurate and most of the time pretty fast, at least, the AF speed was decent. But the birds there were mostly perching on branches although most of them are small. It seems your situation is more the other way around. You are shooting outdoors portrait of your kids and they move around fairly fast. Closer to home though, using shorter lenses, the AF is even better. The latest firmware enables you to get Eye-AF with Canon lenses although it wasn't that good as coming from a native FE lens. The same goes for the other AF features. I sold my last Canon shorter lens a few weeks ago since I feel more comfortable using native FE lenses now. I got the feeling that I can take more advantage of the system using what is design for the A7r II, and that way without any compromise. But I understand where you are coming from and it doesn't hurt to do it slowly by using more Canon lenses first. It took me over 2 years to finally switched entirely to Sony, well, except for wildlife purposes, that is.

I would recommend for you to check out the B&S board on a regular basis. People turn their gear over quite a bit and on a regular basis. There is a current thread regarding this particular aspect that you can visit and get what has been written there.

I will other folks chime in here to address more or other aspects of your questions. Good luck!

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:25 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

I think you are making a mistake. . .

The a7R2 is a great camera, but it's not an "everything" camera, and not one I'd consider for quick changing or moving subjects.

If you are using your camera for clients, you need at least two bodies. My opinion is that you should keep your Canon gear, including the 5D3, and use either Metabones IV T or Sigma MC-11 to mate your Canon lenses to a Sony body while you add a few Sony FE lenses.

I recently bought a used 5DsR, and am waiting on new 16-35/4L IS, which I plan to use on my a7R as well as my 1Ds3 and 1D3 (and 5DsR). This gives me a lot of flexibility and backup options.

I'd look for a nice a7R for now and use the dual system. Keep building funds to later purchase a7R2 or a7R3 and some native Sony lenses.

This way you can get the most out of your existing assets without compromising their usefulness.

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:26 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

Gunzorro wrote:
I think you are making a mistake. . .

The a7R2 is a great camera, but it's not an "everything" camera, and not one I'd consider for quick changing or moving subjects.

If you are using your camera for clients, you need at least two bodies. My opinion is that you should keep your Canon gear, including the 5D3, and use either Metabones IV T or Sigma MC-11 to mate your Canon lenses to a Sony body while you add a few Sony FE lenses.

I recently bought a used 5DsR, and am waiting on new 16-35/4L IS, which I plan
...Show more

Jim, the only problem with the A7r, unless the OP is getting one or two native FE lenses, is its so-so AF. And keep in mind that his main goal is to capture fast moving models. He is planning of using adapted Canon EF lenses and for cameras without PDAF it could be a pain in the behind. Had he been more into more deliberate end of photography, such as landscape, urban scape, still life, etc. then the A7r would be a perfectly fine camera. With that said, there is of course nothing wrong with running two systems for a while although it can be cumbersome at times.

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:47 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

Can you rent an A7R2 and MBIV? That is the only way to know for sure. You can ask people on FM or other forums all you want (and get some great advice of course), but in the end there is nothing like having it in your hand.
I understand you've committed to the switch already, but may I ask what will the A7R2 do for your work that the current 5D3 cannot? Outdoors, moving subjects... sounds like right up the 5D3 alley to me.
I think with action/moving subjects you'll want native sony lenses which increases your cost. And you will have to determine if the benefits are worth it to you.
On the other hand I'm surprised you can't achieve good results for your work with the 5D3 or 5D4.

David

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:49 AM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

dgdg wrote:
Can you rent an A7R2 and MBIV? That is the only way to know for sure. You can ask people on FM or other forums all you want (and get some great advice of course), but in the end there is nothing like having it in your hand.
I understand you've committed to the switch already, but may I ask what will the A7R2 do for your work that the current 5D3 cannot? Outdoors, moving subjects... sounds like right up the 5D3 alley to me.
I think with action/moving subjects you'll want native sony lenses which increases your cost. And you will
...Show more
He justs wants a better camera

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:55 AM
eleazar123

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

Thank you all for the replies! I'm having trouble figuring out how to multi-quote in my reply, so I'll just reference everyone below

@dgdg:
The 5D Mark III is definitely capable of doing everything I have been doing for the past 3 years. Hopefully nobody interprets this thread as me saying the 5D3 isn't a good camera. I have loved it. That being said, who doesn't see the grass as greener on the other side? After watching all of the videos of what the A7RII can do, and the smaller size, and all the comments from A7R owners, I got the itch. Also the 5D4 coming out made me get into the upgrade mindset, but I just can't justify the cost for what the 5D4 brings to the table (especially when Sony seems to be pushing the envelope on bringing awesome technology in a small package). Renting is probably a really good idea, just so expensive

@mogul: essentially yes

@AGeoJO: I really appreciate the information, especially on the Metabones IV. Maybe I should start to research Sony lenses and see what I can find that is comparable to my canon lenses.

@Gunzorro: I appreciate the feedback, and I can definitely understand what you're saying. I actually don't do much for-profit photography work, so I don't really need and can't really afford a 2 body setup (which is how I've survived with the 5d3 by itself). The vast majority of my pictures are of my kids (3yrs old, 2yrs old, 5months old). I'm thinking now that if I am truly determined to switch, I need to plan to acquire Sony lenses and start looking to sell my Canon lenses.

@all It seems like every video I watch about this camera gets me even more excited about its capabilities. I'm wondering if I should hold off on buying the A7R II, and focus on selling some of my canon lenses and looking for good deals on Sony lenses. Or pick up a cheap 5D Mark II and wait for the A7R III and make sure it's worth selling all my glass.

Sep 27, 2016 at 01:15 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

I have the Sony and some lenses and had the Mark III (now have 1DX and 7DII).

If you keep your Canon lenses, your weight and size savings are minuscule. If you buy comparable lenses for the Sony later, your savings are also not that great. Only if you stick with the smaller lenses for the Sony do you get a much smaller system.

I personally don't see the need to shoot portraits at a high resolution, but preferences differ.

Whenever I shoot with the Sony for a while, I love the output, but I start missing my Canon and Olympus MFT gear. I find shooting with the Sony cumbersome and I often think about selling it, if not for those 42 mps.

Sep 27, 2016 at 02:12 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

Well if you got the itch, your gonna have to scratch it then. There are a lot of good choices out there.
The A7R series is still a full frame camera like the 5D3. A 24-70 f/2.8 lens will probably be about the same size, negating some size/weight differences from the body itself.
I love my Sony A7R with the kit zoom. Light, nice outdoors, great detail. For landscape I love it with the Metabones and Canon glass.
I have a 5D3 too which is super fast for children and other wildlife. I find the critical focus I can achieve with the 5D3 servo mode creates superior action images I cannot get with slower cameras that I have used in the past. YMMV

Enjoy your new gear coming up! Just don't forget the photography.

David

Sep 27, 2016 at 02:21 PM
Vcize
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

Honestly I think for the type of shooting you do, this would be a bad move for you.

In comparing the A7r2 to the 5d4 or even 5d3, the A7r2 does a lot of things better, but also some things worse. The problem here is that the things it does worse are almost all things that are very relevant to your kind of shooting.

Moving the AF point on the A7r2 requires a button press first. It may sound like a small thing on paper but in practice it gets very annoying quickly especially for moving toddlers where you're going to be moving the focus point often. Additionally you're looking at lower FPS, a buffer that fills up faster, and slower write times. You also don't get a built-in flash. All relevant things when you're snapping away at a bunch of kids running around.

The Eye AF is the only real advantage for moving kids, but even that is more for cooperative models that keep their eyes facing the camera than running kids that are looking around everywhere. And you'd be essentially giving that up anyway by not using native lenses.

The other major A7r2 advantages are also somewhat less relevant to the kind of photography you're doing. 42mp seems like overkill for shooting your kids running around, and IBIS becomes less relevant because you have to shoot the kids at higher shutter speeds anyway.

The A7r2 is amazing tech and a big upgrade for a lot of types of photography, but kids running around with non-native glass is probably not one of them.

As far as the upgrade itch and the underwhelming 5d4 I can understand your dismay, though I would think the touchscreen focusing would be of great interest to someone shooting toddlers running around everywhere.

Sep 27, 2016 at 02:47 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

Lots of great suggestions and analysis from everyone, including the OP! Doing some good thinking on the subject.

Nice thread.

Welcome to the FM forums!

Sep 27, 2016 at 02:55 PM
eleazar123

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

Thank you all again for your contributions to this thread! I am definitely loving this forum. So much activity.

After reading over it all again, now I'm thinking maybe I should just buy another 5D Mark III. I have to say I'm severely bummed, but it all does make sense. The silver lining is that I might actually make money by picking up a used 5D Mark III with even less actuations than the one I sold.

My kids aren't always going crazy and running non stop. We try to pose them and get "real" pictures, but many times I am out taking pictures of them playing together. I would hate to spend all this time and money converting to Sony and be extremely frustrated by missing certain shots because it couldn't focus fast enough. I already wish my 5D3 would focus faster, so I guess the writing is on the wall.

Maybe the A7R III will have some amazing new focusing system that will match or even beat canon's system. Then I can start to make the move over to Sony.

You also make good points about not really saving on size/weight when accounting for the EF adapter and the heavy canon lenses.

One more follow-up question, would you A7R II owners say that when paired with great Sony lenses it would focus as fast as the 5D3 with canon glass?

And a random comment: The thing that convinced me the most that the A7RII could meet my needs is this video from Jason Lanier

(10 Reasons Why the Sony A7Rii is the best camera in the world- Sony A7R II Review by Jason Lanier). I'm a tad disappointed that he talks about being able to buy Canon lenses and acts as if there is no drawback or loss of functionality when compared to native Sony lenses.

I'm so glad I decided to post on here and I'm even more glad all of you decided to share your wisdom and thoughts.

One last thought, maybe I'll sell my Sigma 85mm to consolidate a bit, so then if I do decide to jump to the A7R3, I only have the Sigma 35 and 70-200 to take care of. Realistically I should be able to survive without the 85, since I have the 70-200.

Sep 27, 2016 at 03:26 PM
thait84
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

I don't know if you are committed to full frame but why not try an a6300? The auto focus should be very fast, it will play nicely with your canon glass, and it doesn't cost nearly as much or potentially depreciate as much. You can them decide if you like Sony or use it as a stop gap until the next one comes out.

Sep 27, 2016 at 03:40 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

I too was thinking about the 6300. Or one of the fast focusing Fujis or Olys ?
OP : Ask on their forums if there is anything that meets your needs.

thait84 wrote:
I don't know if you are committed to full frame but why not try an a6300? The auto focus should be very fast, it will play nicely with your canon glass, and it doesn't cost nearly as much or potentially depreciate as much. You can them decide if you like Sony or use it as a stop gap until the next one comes out.

Sep 27, 2016 at 03:49 PM
jfourc

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

As someone who made the switch from a 5D3/6D to A7R2, I would stick with the 5D3 for your uses. I thought that I would be able to stick with my Canon lenses with the MB IV paired with the Sony A7R2, but I ended up going with the native mount versions anyway. I just never felt that the MB IV was as good as native mount which is understandable so I don't want you to get your hopes up. If you're going to stick with Canon lenses for awhile I would go with the 5D4 because for outdoor portraits for fast moving kids, I think it's going to be a better camera than the A7RII. I say "I think" because I haven't tried the 5D4 yet, but quickly acquiring focus and selecting focus points with the 5D3 is already a better experience than with the A7R2.

Jason Lanier is a Sony fanboy and a Sony Artisan so I would take his claim that the A7RII is the best camera in the world with a grain of salt. I love the A7RII, but for fast moving subjects such as kids, it's a PITA when it comes to AF. I've had my camera for almost a year, but it still is a pain to switch AF points quickly because the button is mushy, and it's really easy to accidentally go into the menu for Focus Area.

Sep 27, 2016 at 03:51 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

Vcize wrote:
Honestly I think for the type of shooting you do, this would be a bad move for you.

In comparing the A7r2 to the 5d4 or even 5d3, the A7r2 does a lot of things better, but also some things worse. The problem here is that the things it does worse are almost all things that are very relevant to your kind of shooting.

Moving the AF point on the A7r2 requires a button press first. It may sound like a small thing on paper but in practice it gets very annoying quickly especially for moving toddlers where you're going to be
...Show more

Let me get it off my chest first - I am not a Sony fan although that's the system I am using at this point.

There are certain AF features of the A7r II that you may not be familiar with that will work fine for the OP's type of shooting. It is called AF-Lock On. You can select the AF point to be wherever you want it to be but for discussion sake, let's say to choose the center AF area. You aim that to your target and it will latch on to the target as long as the target within the PDAF area, which is quite sizable. You can recompose and your object will remain in focus and no need to change the AF location at all. It is a very nice AF feature. You are doing yourself a disservice if you have the A7r II if you don't try that feature. Again, it works only with native FE lenses. I do not have nor tried the Canon 5D IV but the 5D III, when I used Canon gear back then, didn't have that feature.

Back to using Canon lenses via Metabones aspect - It is true that you don't have access to the Eye-AF and that's too bad but you can get face detection with the combo. And that's is very effective as well. Not as refined as Eye-AF, that can give you pinpoint AF in shallow depth-of-field cases using a fast 85mm f/1.4 lens, for example, but it is good enough for general photography of moving people, especially after you have programmed frequent faces in your camera.

To the OP - I am not advocating you to switch to Sony. I am just pointing out certain AF aspects of the A7r II. At the end you have to make the call and figure out the decision yourself. Good luck!

Sep 27, 2016 at 03:53 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

I have both the A7RII and many Canon L lenses and the 5DIII and use them both. For anything, as mentioned above. moving fast or very much, I prefer the Canon. I use the 24-70L II on the A7RII every day and it works great as does the 70-200 and the 100-400L II (except at the long end). I use the Sony about 95% of the time now. My macro work, the 100L II tubes, focussing rails etc and Sony flashes. I don't find the Sony any lighter in use than the Canon, even thought he Canon is bigger. But, I like the smaller size for my type of work.

Anyway, it is all good. Oh, and I have a Nikon slide copier that I used on a Canon lens with an extension for redoing my slides. I used a Nikon scanner in the past and have had some slides drum scanned. I like what I get from the Sony over the Nikon scanner (a 1000 times faster and it captures all the shadows and highlight without a hassle). So the Sony offers many benefits but I wouldn't let go of my Canon but that is my needs and I am sure you will sort out yours.

Sep 27, 2016 at 04:07 PM
virtualrain
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

eleazar123 wrote:
I posted this on another forum but I'm not really getting any feedback, so I thought I'd try asking the same questions here. I hope I'm not breaking any rules :\

So as the title says, I'm sold on the A7R II. I've been testing the 5D Mark IV for the last few days, and I am largely underwhelmed. After reading comments from A7RII owners, I decided to start researching. After hours of youtube scouring, I think I've made up my mind and I'm going to switch to the Sony A7R II.

I just have some quick questions that I'm hoping
...Show more

I switched earlier this year from a 5D3 to A7RII and have loved it. I could see the writing on the wall for the 5D4 being meh after the 1DXII was announced.

The A7RII is like a breath of fresh air compared to the Canon. It's lighter, smaller, and feels more advanced in every way. It's face detection, eye focus and lock-on AF tracking are great. These modes almost eliminate the need for focus point selection so you won't miss a dedicated focus point selection control as much as you might think and the wheel works fine for that when needed.

I'm not sure why you want to keep your lenses? The market for used lenses is so hot, you'll probably get 90% of what you paid for them. And you're much better off re-investing that in native glass. I use the Batis 25, the FE 55 and Batis 85 primes almost exclusively and with the cropping you can do with a 42Mpix image, I effectively have a 25-135mm at f/2 using those three light primes. Go all-in, you won't regret it.

And you can always wait and get the next best thing, but I think Sony's product refresh cycles are going to increase. They already have and will continue that trend.

Edited on Sep 27, 2016 at 04:16 PM · View previous versions

Sep 27, 2016 at 04:15 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

To the OP:

I am in a situation very similar to yours: lots of Canon glass, underwhelmed by the 5d4, impressed by the Sony ILMCs, and not wanting to wait four years for the Canon update.

One of the things you might think about doing, given your concerns about both the price and the replacement cycle of the a7r2, is to consider the a6300. It has better af than its FF brother, and outstanding image quality, and the eye af on it works remarkably well, possibly better than on the a7r2. You could start to slowly acquire some full frame FE lenses to use on the a6300 and those lenses would transfer over to the a7r3, whenever it shows up. There is a new and very positive field review and report on Luminous Landscape about using the a6300 to photograph bears in the wild feeding on salmon, a situation directly analogous to photographing children .

As to your Canon lenses: Canon lenses tend to hold their value and if you are an amateur who takes care of their stuff, your lenses are probably lightly used and in excellent condition. You could begin to sell them off to get new glass, and thus save the cost of the metabones (for the price of which alone you can get the excellent Sony 28mm f/2, which would be a 42mm equivalent field of view on the a6300). For the price of the metabones plus what you will get for your 70-200 2.8, you can probably get a Sony 70-200 and have native glass.

I personally have decided to start down the route I have just recommended to you. I am going to sell some of my most expensive and least-used Canon glass---starting with a virtually unused, six month old 11-24 that I made a mistake by buying--it is a beautiful, even stunning, piece of glass, but very demanding and just not useful enough for me for what I like to shoot. And, I am going to add quality FE glass slowly for use on the a6300. At some point, I will plunk for the a7r2 or a7r3 or a7s3 or a9 or whatever, and I will have built up some nice glass to use with it.

Edited on Sep 27, 2016 at 09:14 PM · View previous versions

Sep 27, 2016 at 04:15 PM
Mystik
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ready to switch to the A7R II, coming from Canon, need some help

Your photography is very similar to mine....outdoor portraiture and often with kids.

Honestly the a7rII is the best portrait body in the market right now, most specifically because of eye focus. The AF system will basically find the nearest eye in the frame and actively track it with a very high degree of accuracy. The downside is that this only works with native glass.

That said, if you're outdoors in good light, AF with adapted lenses is also very good even though you don't get native capabilities like eye focus. The AF system is much more accurate at large apertures than a DSLR, and the hit rate with Canon lenses is still higher on an adapter a7rII than a native Canon DSLR.

My suggestion would be to pull the trigger on the a7rII as I don't think you will be disappointed at all. Overtime make the transition to native lenses for the glass that you use most frequently for portraiture. Very many of us portrait guys went this route and are very happy with how things turned out.

Also with regards to outdoor portraiture, I've really come to appreciate the ability to leverage the DR of the sensor to expose for the highlights and push the exposure in post. This very often means that I can shoot with natural light, and get a good exposure on my subject without blowing out the sky.

Sep 27, 2016 at 04:30 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.