New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · First post! Playing with light and shade in the park

sheldy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First post! Playing with light and shade in the park

Hey everyone! I'm a long time lurker who has finally worked up the nerve to make a post. Here's a bit of an introduction: I'm a 21-year-old computer science student with a visual arts background. Picked up my DSLR in early 2015 as an extension of my artistic expression and have been hooked ever since. I really love the community here and have learned so much from all the knowledgeable and inspirational people that frequent these boards. I'm really looking forward to hopefully contributing my share!

Here are a few from a pretty casual shoot with a friend, just walking in the park around sunset. I'd appreciate any comments/critiques. Thanks!

Everything shot on a Nikon D750 with 85mm f/1.8G.

http://i.imgur.com/ijklLgU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1LGfMd6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jSbDht7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nRmQUxw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uqeAJv6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/S1SQUqD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VURMc0i.jpg
edit: resized the images because I didn't realize how humongous they were

Edited on Sep 27, 2016 at 11:07 PM · View previous versions

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:40 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First post! Playing with light and shade in the park

Great job on your post, Sheldy! Be sure to number your images to make it easier to comment on each individual one.

1. Based on your other shots, I'm presuming the spreckled lighting was an artistic decision. With that in mind, I would simply suggest to make sure the left eye is in light and not shadow. Part of it is, part of it isn't.

2. Really like this, love the background and bokeh. Just would like to see more light in her eyes. I'm presuming trees or something behind you was blocking the sky's light to her. I do understand this is backlit with the sun behind her, but if you had open sky behind you, her eyes would be lighted quite nicely.

3. A little more light to her eyes here, and it's quite nice. Great energy. Great smile.

4. Great setting. Again, just would like to see more light in her eyes. It's all about finding the directional light. It's there, you just need to put her in the right place.

5. I really like this look. I'm seeing that you're consistently doing a medium-closeup look, and I'd recommend that you vary the width of your shots, include a few environmental portraits. This setting would make for a nice environmental portrait.

6. Really like this one, but fix her hair.

7. The lighting is exquisite here. But I would have shot from the opposite direction and given her short lighting instead of the broad lighting you have here. But that's my style of shooting, and we all need to develop our own style.

Overall, you're off to a great start! I wish I was shooting this well when I was your age! I think the main thing I'd suggest is to encourage you to try environmental portraits to mix things up a bit.

Sep 27, 2016 at 09:23 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First post! Playing with light and shade in the park

Excellent set! A wonderful model. Lucky to have such a volunteer to help you explore your portrait skills. I like the fact that her expression varies, if subtly at times, from shot to shot. The big smile is great but might have grown tiresome if repeated throughout. Instead, she gives a number of different looks. So, she is at ease and comfortable with you doing your work. Although she is your friend, you still get points for establishing a photographic rapport. My one point of critique: I could do without the visible bra straps. Just to eliminate the slightest distraction from her natural appeal. My favorite is #4. The dense white well blurred flowers make a wonderful frame from which she stands out nicely.

Sep 27, 2016 at 09:47 AM
sheldy

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First post! Playing with light and shade in the park

friscoron wrote:
Great job on your post, Sheldy! Be sure to number your images to make it easier to comment on each individual one.

1. Based on your other shots, I'm presuming the spreckled lighting was an artistic decision. With that in mind, I would simply suggest to make sure the left eye is in light and not shadow. Part of it is, part of it isn't.

Thank you so so much for your helpful and insightful feedback! The speckled light was definitely a conscious choice, but I do wish that some of the patterning wasn't quite so distracting. I took a few in this spot and this was the one that turned out best. I really like the look and will definitely play with it more in the future.

2. Really like this, love the background and bokeh. Just would like to see more light in her eyes. I'm presuming trees or something behind you was blocking the sky's light to her. I do understand this is backlit with the sun behind her, but if you had open sky behind you, her eyes would be lighted quite nicely.

3. A little more light to her eyes here, and it's quite nice. Great energy. Great smile.

This was my attempt at practicing a more "normal" headshot. I usually go for a more artistic vibe. I actually had her holding a white reflector just out of frame to try and bounce some light on her face. Next time, I will definitely keep the open sky tip in mind!

4. Great setting. Again, just would like to see more light in her eyes. It's all about finding the directional light. It's there, you just need to put her in the right place.

Agreed about the directional light. I try my best with that, but sometimes it's overwhelming directing a model, operating the camera, and trying to get the best framing all at once!

5. I really like this look. I'm seeing that you're consistently doing a medium-closeup look, and I'd recommend that you vary the width of your shots, include a few environmental portraits. This setting would make for a nice environmental portrait.

For this particular shoot, I couldn't really frame that much wider because there were so many people at the park that day due to nice weather! I do catch myself in a framing rut sometimes though. I just love a good head n shoulder portrait so much!

6. Really like this one, but fix her hair.

7. The lighting is exquisite here. But I would have shot from the opposite direction and given her short lighting instead of the broad lighting you have here. But that's my style of shooting, and we all need to develop our own style.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by short vs. broad lighting!

Overall, you're off to a great start! I wish I was shooting this well when I was your age! I think the main thing I'd suggest is to encourage you to try environmental portraits to mix things up a bit.

Again, I can't say enough how much I appreciate your detailed comments. I'm always trying to improve at this whole photography thing. Sending much love and good vibes your way!

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:01 PM
sheldy

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First post! Playing with light and shade in the park

Brev00 wrote:
Excellent set! A wonderful model. Lucky to have such a volunteer to help you explore your portrait skills. I like the fact that her expression varies, if subtly at times, from shot to shot. The big smile is great but might have grown tiresome if repeated throughout. Instead, she gives a number of different looks. So, she is at ease and comfortable with you doing your work. Although she is your friend, you still get points for establishing a photographic rapport. My one point of critique: I could do without the visible bra straps. Just to eliminate the slightest distraction
...Show more

Hey Brev! This was actually my friend's first time ever in front of a camera! What a natural, right? The first 10 minutes definitely were definitely tough going but once she got used to having me scamper around her while giving subtle directions, it was a blast.

Personally, I don't actually mind the bra straps - I think they're meant to be showing because of the lower neckline on her loose top. But I can definitely see where you're coming from. To be honest, I didn't even take special notice of it before you mentioned. Will definitely keep an eye out to these details in a future shoot!

Thanks so much for the nice comments! I really love #4 as well, the background worked out perfectly and I didn't even have to clone any distracting bits out.

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:06 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First post! Playing with light and shade in the park

In the last shot, the side of the face that is open to the camera (her left, our right) has the light. That's called broad lighting. Short lighting is when that side of the face open to the camera has the shadows. It really thins out the face quite nicely. Just try it sometimes when you see the shadow on the face like this, just shoot from both sides and see what you like best.

I'm definitely not saying that short lighting is the way to go every time, or even most of the time. Every situation is different, every subject is different.

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:38 PM
Future Man
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First post! Playing with light and shade in the park

Nice shots sheldy.

friscoron,

A lot of your comments were "more light in her eyes."

what would be your suggestion in a park setting like this be? If you want to stay natural light only, some kind of reflector?

or a flash? or do you simply mean move the model so more of the natural light was hitting her eyes?

Sep 29, 2016 at 06:04 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First post! Playing with light and shade in the park

I think these are lovely

Sep 29, 2016 at 09:48 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First post! Playing with light and shade in the park

Future Man wrote:
Nice shots sheldy.

friscoron,

what would be your suggestion in a park setting like this be? If you want to stay natural light only, some kind of reflector?

or a flash? or do you simply mean move the model so more of the natural light was hitting her eyes?

Sorry Future Man, didn't see your question. I simply meant to put her in a location so the sky is opened to her behind the camera. That will get light in her eyes. If you look at a portrait and don't see highlights in the eyes, then -- based on my style -- light is missing from the shot. You have to remember, tho, that we all have our different styles and ways of working with light and there's no one right way of doing things. Mine isn't the right way of doing it, it's just my right way. Hope this helps in some small way.

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:53 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First post! Playing with light and shade in the park

I like your use of dabbled light in the first. Watch out for specular highlights that outshine your subject, they can work great as a background or pull your viewer's eye. There placement is very important

Morris

Oct 01, 2016 at 10:43 AM
sheldy

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · First post! Playing with light and shade in the park

friscoron wrote:
In the last shot, the side of the face that is open to the camera (her left, our right) has the light. That's called broad lighting. Short lighting is when that side of the face open to the camera has the shadows. It really thins out the face quite nicely. Just try it sometimes when you see the shadow on the face like this, just shoot from both sides and see what you like best.

I'm definitely not saying that short lighting is the way to go every time, or even most of the time. Every situation is different, every
...Show more

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the clarification. I can definitely see how having the shadow side to the camera would slim the face.

---------------------------------------------

Future Man wrote:
Nice shots sheldy.

friscoron,

Thanks!

Ian Boys wrote:
I think these are lovely

Thank you very much

morris wrote:
I like your use of dabbled light in the first. Watch out for specular highlights that outshine your subject, they can work great as a background or pull your viewer's eye. There placement is very important

Morris

Thanks Morris! I agree about the highlights, especially in the backlit image where she is smiling, the sunlight may be a little too much. Perhaps I will try to tone it down with photoshop.

Oct 06, 2016 at 03:38 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.