New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

surgeon1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

Which one do you use and why? If I do PP in LR/PS should I chose Adobe RGB rather than sRGB?

David

Sep 26, 2016 at 09:08 PM
Dj R
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

I recently posted this in the forum dedicated for this topic
I recently switched to sRGB.

Sep 26, 2016 at 09:14 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

and why would you do that since adobe RGB has a considerably wider colorspace? gives you more latitude to play in.

sRGB vs Adobe RGB

Edited on Sep 26, 2016 at 11:54 PM · View previous versions

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:50 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

i have mine set as RGB - save for web as sRGB

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:52 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

Dustin Gent wrote:
i have mine set as RGB - save for web as sRGB

I can always do that at the end of an edit.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:54 PM
fetopher
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

Shoot raw and it doesn't matter until you export, then pick based on where the file is headed. If it's headed for web display, you want sRGB to ensure your desired color output will be honored as closely as possible. Most monitors can display most of sRGB's gamut but not the wider Adobe RGB.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

one of those things I concentrated on was the monitor for editing. 97% Adobe RGB. printer supports it too.

I believe in give me all you got and i'll work with it.

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:04 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

I shoot AdobeRGB, but convert to sRGB for web display, so I can be assured that others see the same image as me. I do have a good monitor that can display the AdobeRGB colour space, but most monitors are not so good. Heck, most aren't even calibrated.

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:20 AM
pgeorges
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

fetopher wrote:
Shoot raw and it doesn't matter until you export, then pick based on where the file is headed. If it's headed for web display, you want sRGB to ensure your desired color output will be honored as closely as possible. Most monitors can display most of sRGB's gamut but not the wider Adobe RGB.

This is the correct answer

Sep 27, 2016 at 01:52 AM
TimMunsey
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

fetopher wrote: Shoot raw and it doesn't matter until you export, then pick based on where the file is headed. If it's headed for web display, you want sRGB to ensure your desired color output will be honored as closely as possible. Most monitors can display most of sRGB's gamut but not the wider Adobe RGB.

Definitely the correct answer. Life gets complicated when you get a monitor that has wide gamut you suddenly realise how much of a mine field this is. As most of my images are for web I personally work in sRGB, I have seen strange shifts when doing conversions from colour spaces like prophoto, but of course on a monitor with a smaller colour space you wont see the difference.

Sep 27, 2016 at 02:03 AM
knower
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

If you shoot in RAW it doesn't matter which color space you use in the camera.
In JPG it does.

If you have to convert the RAW file for editing in Photoshop, then the most suitable color space is Pro Photo RGB which preserves more details (numerically, at least) than Adobe RGB.
You can convert to sRGB when you need to export the image for the web or to whatever color space you need for printing.

Cheers,
G.

Sep 27, 2016 at 02:08 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

For people who have to ask what is the better color space, sRGB is always the best recommendation UNTIL that person has a more complete understanding of why you might want to use a different space. That the original poster is asking should tell you enough that for now, sRGB is not only the best, but the only with the fewest potential problems. I work in all spaces all the time from all the different RGB to a multitude of CMYK and of course, Lab, but I've been doing this since before Ps was color managed. Don't overly complicate this guy's life. Make it simple until he's ready to move on.

Sep 27, 2016 at 02:20 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

Peter Figen wrote:
For people who have to ask what is the better color space, sRGB is always the best recommendation UNTIL that person has a more complete understanding of why you might want to use a different space. That the original poster is asking should tell you enough that for now, sRGB is not only the best, but the only with the fewest potential problems. I work in all spaces all the time from all the different RGB to a multitude of CMYK and of course, Lab, but I've been doing this since before Ps was color managed. Don't overly complicate
...Show more

I agree with you Peter. There is elegance in simplicity. Only complicate things when they complexity outweighs the difficulties it produces.

Morris

Sep 27, 2016 at 07:12 AM
surgeon1
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

Thanks to all who responded to my query!

David

Sep 28, 2016 at 07:31 AM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

Peter Figen wrote:
For people who have to ask what is the better color space, sRGB is always the best recommendation UNTIL that person has a more complete understanding of why you might want to use a different space. That the original poster is asking should tell you enough that for now, sRGB is not only the best, but the only with the fewest potential problems. I work in all spaces all the time from all the different RGB to a multitude of CMYK and of course, Lab, but I've been doing this since before Ps was color managed. Don't overly complicate
...Show more

Good answer, Peter ... as always.

Best,
Steve

Sep 28, 2016 at 08:15 AM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

Peter Figen wrote:
...Show more

This!

Sep 28, 2016 at 08:45 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

remember, these are opinions. they are correct in that if you are not prepared to work within that colorspace you do create an issue for yourself.

complicated? not really.

Sep 28, 2016 at 08:54 AM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

sjms wrote:
and why would you do that since adobe RGB has a considerably wider colorspace? gives you more latitude to play in.

for a couple reasons
one b/c of where my images go, and two b/c I have a good monitor.

pgeorges wrote:
Shoot raw and it doesn't matter until you expor

yes sir!
since I export to smugmug, which hosts my online gallery....
and my clients get downloads and prints from them.....
and they use sRGB....
I switched from adobe.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93362-what-colorspace-should-my-files-be-in-

Sep 28, 2016 at 09:15 AM
knower
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

I don't agree in skipping on knowledge because other people don't think you need that "at your level".

Learning new things is what makes you better as an artist and a person, and "if you have to ask" maybe is about time to learn the differences between the colorspaces and what makes them useful.

Don't stay ignorant because people think things are "complicated".
Color spaces are not that hard, and if you need any help I am happy to provide you with all the informations you need.

Cheers,
G.

Sep 28, 2016 at 04:06 PM
Andrew Pece Photography
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Color Space - sRGB vs Adobe RGB

You can take a two hour course,

Or, you can just shoot in raw, work in prophoto in Photoshop, then export srgb for web. I believe Lightroom uses prophoto by default. I don't use Lightroom, but if that's true it says a lot.

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:36 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.