New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 5DIV--Lens Aberration Corrections

bhollis
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DIV--Lens Aberration Corrections

I've got a new 5DIV and am setting it up. I'll be shooting RAW and JPEG. I'd like to maximize the quality of the JPEGs out the camera, but don't want to do anything that would permanently affect/compromise the RAW images.

So my question is which, if any, of the following in-camera corrections should I enable?

Peripheral Illumination
Distortion
Digital Lens Optimizer
Chromatic Aberration
Diffraction

Sep 26, 2016 at 09:43 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DIV--Lens Aberration Corrections

I generally use them only in post-processing, but if you're shooting jpegs also, there may be a desire to use some of them. Some of them slow the camera down a good deal, and I think DLO is one of them. Also keep in mind that Canon only supplies corrective data for Canon lenses.

Sep 26, 2016 at 09:45 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DIV--Lens Aberration Corrections

As a RAW shooter, I disable everything other than CA, because I prefer to see the uncorrected image when reviewing images in-camera, as it helps me better pre-visualize what my captures will look like.

If you do make use of in-camera JPEGs, however, you should use these per your taste. Canon's lens corrections only work with Canon lenses.

A setting you did not mention that greatly affect the JPEG capture quality is Auto Lighting Optimizer (ALO). ALO pushes shadows and manipulates contrast in a heavy-handed way. If I were to use it at all, I would set it to 'Low' ('Standard' is the default--and you can also turn it off entirely).

The only other tip I would provide has to do with your default Picture Style. My practice historically has always been to use 'Standard' with Contrast set to -1 (this improves highlight tonality while retaining punchy shadows). Newer Canon cameras use a terrible high-radius default sharpening with the default Picture Style that produce ringing and halos. It's truly awful, and so I have taken to turning sharpening way down too.

However, the 5D Mark IV supports a new 'Fine Details' Picture Style, which provides similar colors to the default Standard style, but uses a much improved low radius sharpening, and also gives you control of the individual sharpening parameters. This produces more detailed JPEGs without the aggressive sharpening artifacts. I would make this my default, and perhaps set Strength a notch lower.

You should experiment to see what you prefer. A great tool to do this is DPP. Using a RAW capture, you can adjust all of these parameters after the fact in post-processing. This will give you a much better understanding of what each of these various image processing features will do to your in-camera JPEGs.

Hope this helps.

Sep 26, 2016 at 10:53 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5DIV--Lens Aberration Corrections

Side note - I have to give "fine details" a look.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:01 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5DIV--Lens Aberration Corrections

Tom_W wrote:
Side note - I have to give "fine details" a look.

Another thought: 'Fine Details' may end up emphasizing noise more in high ISO captures, which is possibly why Canon uses different sharpening as standard instead. I don't yet own a 5D Mark IV so I haven't had a chance to experiment with this much, but it would be worth playing with this to understand the tradeoffs.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:09 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5DIV--Lens Aberration Corrections

I disable it since I only shoot in RAW.

EBH

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:11 AM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5DIV--Lens Aberration Corrections

Trying to understand if CA is more prominent in Canon lenses because from my D700 to D3s I don't remember if I had to do any CA corrections when I needed to shoot jpegs. Can any Canon and Nikon dual users chime in?
PS I never owned a DX lens only G for Nikon.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:15 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5DIV--Lens Aberration Corrections

It's very lens-dependent. My old 15 mm fisheye has a good amount of CA around the perimeter, but it's easily corrected. My 100-400 II has none, or at least none that I've noticed.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:24 AM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5DIV--Lens Aberration Corrections

Yea. I know the 50mm 1.4 is a CA nightmare. These lenses from the 90s are the worst culprits.

I know Nikon does some calculations I'm the body to reduce it and the new Google lenses are amazing for CA. It's not even something I think about.
My old 5d2 and the 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8 had severe CA with that combo.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:38 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5DIV--Lens Aberration Corrections

bhollis wrote:
I've got a new 5DIV and am setting it up. I'll be shooting RAW and JPEG. I'd like to maximize the quality of the JPEGs out the camera, but don't want to do anything that would permanently affect/compromise the RAW images.

So my question is which, if any, of the following in-camera corrections should I enable?

Peripheral Illumination
Distortion
Digital Lens Optimizer
Chromatic Aberration
Diffraction

it is my understanding that none of these options change the raw file except to flag to DPP that you want it processed with the indicated corrections. Its also my understanding that DLO can be applied after the fact by DPP, if you want, without turning it on in the camera.

So unless you use canon's software to convert [DPP- which most don't (most use LR or Aperture...] or normally use jpg produced out of camera as your final image - just turn it off. It will effect the operation of the camera (eg exclude iso 100, go slower....] and it won't do you any good.

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:31 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5DIV--Lens Aberration Corrections

Scott Stoness wrote:
it is my understanding that none of these options change the raw file except to flag to DPP that you want it processed with the indicated corrections. Its also my understanding that DLO can be applied after the fact by DPP, if you want, without turning it on in the camera.

So unless you use canon's software to convert [DPP- which most don't (most use LR or Aperture...] or normally use jpg produced out of camera as your final image - just turn it off. It will effect the operation of the camera (eg exclude iso 100, go slower....] and
...Show more

That is true, if you shoot RAW, but if you're shooting JPEG, you won't have the opportunity to do those corrections, at least not in DPP. You will in other software, but you're working with an 8-bit file instead of the full RAW file and so have a little less latitude with which to correct.

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:47 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5DIV--Lens Aberration Corrections

The only useful way to answer this question is for each user to test each setting in the real world, and compare them side-to-side.

The options affect IQ, and only the user can decide what is acceptable.

I like very small radius sharpening. The canon cameras I have have too large a radius in JPG. I sharpen in LR.

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:54 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5DIV--Lens Aberration Corrections

By the way, Canon Rumors says firmware update for the 5D IV might be imminent.

Sep 27, 2016 at 05:57 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5DIV--Lens Aberration Corrections

All I see is the rumor from last week at CR1. Was there an update?

EBH

Sep 27, 2016 at 06:09 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5DIV--Lens Aberration Corrections

Scott Stoness wrote:

So unless you use canon's software to convert [DPP- which most don't (most use LR or Aperture...] or normally use jpg produced out of camera as your final image - just turn it off. It will effect the operation of the camera (eg exclude iso 100, go slower....] and
...Show more

Highlight tone priority might limit ISO to 200, but why the others?

EBH

Sep 27, 2016 at 06:19 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5DIV--Lens Aberration Corrections

Scott Stoness wroteit is my understanding that none of these options change the raw file except to flag to DPP that you want it processed with the indicated corrections. Its also my understanding that DLO can be applied after the fact by DPP, if you want, without turning it on in the camera.

...Show more

That is my experience for both Canon and Fuji RAWs...
If you use in-camera corrections / sharpening etc, changes are only "baked" into the JPEG.
If you are shooting RAW + JPEG, there is a difference between the two, although modern versions of LR and DPP do "get the memo" from the RAW and activate corrections / anti-vigneting etc when building the preview, but the RAW itself is untouched.

Same goes for color profiles / film simulations (in Fuji) etc. The PP software is just reading the flag in the EXIF for which color profile to apply when developing the preview or output from the RAW. The RAW contains the same color information regardless of you choosing to develop it as Neutral / Portrait / Ladscape / Velvia / Classic Chrome etc.

If haven't noticed the cameras being slowed down when lens corrections are turned on - but perhaps because it is not perceivable by the type of shooting I am doing.

I would personally opt for a Custom Mode with all of them all if for a certain scenario was favoring straight out of camera JPEGs and as little P/P as possible, and - if I had noticed that say my true fps gets a hit - use another Custom Mode to turn them all of some of them off to speed up the picture taking process, knowing that this will probably demand some extra time in P/P.

Sep 27, 2016 at 07:07 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5DIV--Lens Aberration Corrections

bhollis wrote:

Peripheral Illumination
Distortion
Digital Lens Optimizer
Chromatic Aberration
Diffraction

As others have stated, this is only for in camera jpg's. Also anything "baked in" like video. IE you have a lens that vignettes a ton wide open (a la the 35/2 IS) then this should help when recording video. I hear it does slow down the burst speed though when enabled.

Sep 30, 2016 at 02:55 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.