Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · face detection advice?

dylan88

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · face detection advice?

I have recently bought a d750 and tried out face detection mode. Using a 50mm 1.8 the settings in ap and using auto iso came to 1250, 1/50 and shot at 5.6. I am trying to figure out if high iso/slow shutter on a tripod, is the reason that this photo isn't sharp (zoomed in) and should i turn auto off, or would it be something else to do with settings. The face detection is supposed to work quite well on this camera and expected better results.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145486470@N04/29936125615/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/

I have afs single point focus on in matrix mode and use a shutter remote.

If you don' t have this camera any advice will still be great to try out

Thanks

Sep 26, 2016 at 01:40 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · face detection advice?

Have you done an AF microadjustment for the lens? Was the subject moving?

Sep 26, 2016 at 09:56 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · face detection advice?

Make sure you have your AF area mode set to "Auto" (not to be confused with AF-A) and are using matrix metering if you want to use viewfinder face detection. You also need to enable it in the menus if it wasn't obvious (item b4). Also if you use group AF with AF-S, it will give priority to faces if the face is under the 5 selected group AF points.

Sep 26, 2016 at 10:28 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · face detection advice?

I agree with Bernie. To me, it appears the ears are sharper than the face.

Sep 26, 2016 at 03:29 PM
Elisha82
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · face detection advice?

What CanadaMark said. It has to be on Auto AF point selection with Matrix metering and Face Detection enabled in the settings. As long as all those criteria are met, the AF will try to focus on the eyes even when subject moves. Works very well as long as nobody is wearing a hat or dark glasses.

Sep 26, 2016 at 06:45 PM
dylan88

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · face detection advice?

It's interesting with matrix metering as highlight weighted metering, brings a nicer efffect available on the d750 or d810 as shown here http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/d810_tips/highlight/

Sep 28, 2016 at 05:40 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.