New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Lightroom Exporting - Any ways to speed it up

Gregory Edge
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lightroom Exporting - Any ways to speed it up

Switch to Capture One. Much faster to export files.

Not anymore user friendly than Lightroom.

Oct 01, 2016 at 09:43 AM
goobers
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lightroom Exporting - Any ways to speed it up

Are there any compatibility or lack of features with Capture One compared to Lightroom that you know of? I've been reading a lot of reviews and comparisons between the two and it seems like a mixed bag of opinions and results.

I'm definitely open to trying C1 out, but before I drop the $299 I just want to make sure I've gotten enough feedback as possible.

What I'm most interested in is whether workflow improves, gets worse, or is about the same (once I learn the program). I bought LR back in the day because I was doing a lot of things in CaptureNX (which was slow back then) and there were some features that were only available in LR that I could utilize.

Oct 03, 2016 at 09:32 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lightroom Exporting - Any ways to speed it up

There is one way I stumbled upon that does significantly reduce the time to export but it's limited. I shoot sports for a pro soccer team and the overwhelming majority of shots are used on-line therefore jpg's with the longest side being approximately 1000 pixels is more than adequate. In testing the same group of files as before (see my post in this thread back up) I was able to reduce the export time approximately in half by first turning on Smart Previews for photos then renaming the folder they existed in so that LR was only using the SP's. Running export on the SP's made a big improvement BTW: if you don't rename the folder the LR export remains slow as it seems to default back to the Raw even though a SP exists.

So if your export needs fit that scenario then the solution is certainly Smart Previews.

JMTC
Matt

Oct 04, 2016 at 06:24 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lightroom Exporting - Any ways to speed it up

Matt you can do the same thing by just removing the drive that has the RAW files on them from the system . Or if the files are in a folder on an internal just Cut/paste it to another location (which as long as its not physically not moving location is going to be pretty instant) .

as long as the required Jpeg is less than 2560 on the long edge then the Smart preview will be fine fr jpeg exporting .

im still yet to try smart previews on the latest version of LR CC which can use them along with the raw file . maybe exporting smaller than the smart preview size it will only use the smart as the source

Oct 04, 2016 at 08:11 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lightroom Exporting - Any ways to speed it up

Don't believe so. I'm on the latest version and exporting a jpg less than 2560 on the long side still uses the raw not the SP. So you need to either rename the folder or do as you suggested to ensure LR only see the SP before you export.

Oct 04, 2016 at 03:19 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.