New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Wedding Day

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wedding Day

Your comments and critiques always welcome.

Steve

© Steve Schulman Photography

Wedding Day

Sep 25, 2016 at 04:35 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wedding Day

This is nice, looks truly unposed but with all eyes looking the same way, close to the camera but not at it. They look like sisters.

Sep 25, 2016 at 07:05 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wedding Day

Not sure about the color @ the dress actually being teal, or is that a WB issue? Here's a rendering that could be construed as CC for WB (if the dress was white), or it could be construed as artistic liberty if the dress was actually teal.

Cropped a bit, and tried to pull in some focus toward the "GORGEOUS" railing. Might be a bit strongly emphasized and could warrant some pullback, but mostly to help show it here.

Wish the yellow bag wasn't there, but I just pulled back some sat rather than try to clone it out.

Sep 25, 2016 at 07:49 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wedding Day

RustyBug wrote:
Not sure about the color @ the dress actually being teal, or is that a WB issue? Here's a rendering that could be construed as CC for WB (if the dress was white), or it could be construed as artistic liberty if the dress was actually teal.

Cropped a bit, and tried to pull in some focus toward the "GORGEOUS" railing. Might be a bit strongly emphasized and could warrant some pullback, but mostly to help show it here.

Wish the yellow bag wasn't there, but I just pulled back some sat rather than try to clone it out.

Hi Kent and thanks for all your efforts here. I went back and checked on the colors, and it's definitely teal. See inset photo that I cropped that shows her halter strap in white, right next to her teal top.

Agree about the yellow bag, although the younger girl is holding a doll, the older one holding something more age appropriate. But I'll give some thought to cloning it out.

Steve

Sep 25, 2016 at 09:52 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wedding Day

ben egbert wrote:
This is nice, looks truly unposed but with all eyes looking the same way, close to the camera but not at it. They look like sisters.

I agree, probably sisters of the bride. More of the family was to the left of where I took the photo, along with the official wedding photographer. This was taken on a pier right next to the Brooklyn Bridge, and in the background is a beautiful view of Manhattan. So this spot is a popular one for wedding photos. I was in this area as there was a photo fair right under the Brooklyn Bridge called Photoville that I was attending. They had 60 cargo containers that they converted to exhibit space featuring photos by many different photographers. A wonderful place to visit on a sunny Saturday afternoon.

Steve

Sep 25, 2016 at 09:59 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wedding Day

On second thought as a result of Kent's discussion of the color of the dress, I think this event was not a wedding, but a Quinceanera. The dresses for these ocassions are usually colorful as opposed to white. See this example.

Steve

Sep 26, 2016 at 08:22 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wedding Day

Swing and a miss for me. To my eyes, the subject is the girl in the background and she's OOF. The two girls in the foreground pull your eyes and kinda leave you on an island.

It would be nice to combine the background star with the "gorgeous" text.

Cheers!

Jeff

Sep 27, 2016 at 01:16 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wedding Day

beavens wrote:
Swing and a miss for me. To my eyes, the subject is the girl in the background and she's OOF. The two girls in the foreground pull your eyes and kinda leave you on an island.

It would be nice to combine the background star with the "gorgeous" text.

Cheers!

Jeff

Always like to hear your take Jeff. There is something unsettling to me about this image. The youngest girl is clutching her doll, the older girl holding a brightly colored shopping bag. Neither is smiling or seems happy or is interested in the "princess" in the background., Perhaps there's a suggestion of an ambivalence about growing older, leaving childhood behind. Maybe the younger girls are comfortable and happy at the stage they're at. So to my thinking, the princess is a symbol and not the main subject. The mind set of the two younger girls I find far more intriguing. Just my 2 cemts.

Steve

Sep 27, 2016 at 02:17 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wedding Day

eeneryma wrote:
Always like to hear your take Jeff. There is something unsettling to me about this image. The youngest girl is clutching her doll, the older girl holding a brightly colored shopping bag. Neither is smiling or seems happy or is interested in the "princess" in the background., Perhaps there's a suggestion of an ambivalence about growing older, leaving childhood behind. Maybe the younger girls are comfortable and happy at the stage they're at. So to my thinking, the princess is a symbol and not the main subject. The mind set of the two younger girls I find far more intriguing.
...Show more

And always great to hear the method behind the madness.

Perhaps a title change would steer the viewer more correctly?

Jeff

Sep 27, 2016 at 02:20 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wedding Day

beavens wrote:
And always great to hear the method behind the madness.

Perhaps a title change would steer the viewer more correctly?

Jeff

Agreed about the title. As I had mentioned, originally I thought this was a wedding until Kent pointed out the question about the color of the dresses. I've been to this spot before and it's usually brides getting their photos taken. So reconsidering, it must have been a teenage celebration.

Steve

Sep 27, 2016 at 02:59 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wedding Day

eeneryma wrote:
Agreed about the title. As I had mentioned, originally I thought this was a wedding until Kent pointed out the question about the color of the dresses. I've been to this spot before and it's usually brides getting their photos taken. So reconsidering, it must have been a teenage celebration.

Steve

Yep, think you nailed the quinceanera part!

Sep 27, 2016 at 03:19 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.