Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2016 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

bootster
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

It is to address bug fixes, and not for new features.

http://www.canonrumors.com/new-firmware-coming-shortly-for-eos-5d-mark-iv-cr1/

Sep 25, 2016 at 01:39 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

Nowadays many newer camera's get a fix firmware quite fast. I don't think there's been any reports of serious issues yet

Sep 25, 2016 at 01:44 PM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

Updates are to be expected, I think. And coming so quickly, on the contrary, I think it shows proactive customer support by Canon. So, not bad news in my view.

Edited on Sep 25, 2016 at 01:55 PM · View previous versions

Sep 25, 2016 at 01:51 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

I agree with Gary. Being responsive with FW updates is a good thing. Fujifilm has generated a lot of good will by doing this with the X-series cameras, for both bug fixes and enhancements.

Sep 25, 2016 at 01:55 PM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

I find it a good thing as well. I'd rather them take proactive steps vs just denying for a while until they're forced to fix it.

Sep 25, 2016 at 02:04 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

bootster wrote:

Lots of times — most of the time, actually — despite careful testing in test bench situations and despite use by beta testers, some issues are only discovered once a new camera gets into the field and is used by (literally) orders of magnitude more photographers. It is very, very common for there to be at least one quick firmware update within a month or two of release, in order to try to make a timely fix of these kinds of issues.

Dan

Edited on Sep 25, 2016 at 06:42 PM · View previous versions

Sep 25, 2016 at 03:18 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

bootster wrote:
This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

At least nobody is forcing you to update, unlike Windows for example.
I'll wait a while after it's released.

EBH

Sep 25, 2016 at 04:15 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

I don't think this fw update means anything. There could be something obscure like a language spelling mistake in a menu. Bug fixes are inevitable in anything relating technology. Apple routinely releases hardware and software with known bugs.

Regarding new fearues, don't expect any new features(if any) for quite awhile. Feature set was probably locked down by Canon many months ago for this body.

Sep 25, 2016 at 04:36 PM
JaimitoFrog
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

1dx II already had 2 FW updates. too bad they cant make the touch screen for the 1dxii more like 5DIV via FW. I played with a 5DIV the other day, touch screen for menu selection etc is really easy to use. you don't need small fingers to select all those sub menus (e.g. AF 1, 2, 3, etc)

Sep 25, 2016 at 04:40 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

JaimitoFrog wrote:
1dx II already had 2 FW updates. too bad they cant make the touch screen for the 1dxii more like 5DIV via FW. I played with a 5DIV the other day, touch screen for menu selection etc is really easy to use. you don't need small fingers to select all those sub menus (e.g. AF 1, 2, 3, etc)

I was amused by the naysayers of this new wonderful technology. It really does make things quicker, and easier as well. The ability to touch the menu screen an jump right to a setting is unparalleled in speed and convenience. Like I've said before, after using the 70D and now the 80D for so long, it seems archaic to have to use the buttons and wheels to navigate to a menu item, or a pinch to zoom screen like I am forced to do on my 6D. It really has turned this camera interface on its ear.

This is a very good thing for us, the end user.

Sep 25, 2016 at 04:48 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

The Canon update will likely coincide with the soon to be released Sigma lenses......

Sep 25, 2016 at 04:50 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

danski0224 wrote:
The Canon update will likely coincide with the soon to be released Sigma lenses......

Don't understand this statement.

When Sigma lenses don't work on new Canon bodies, it's not up to Canon to make Sigma lenses work. It's Sigma that needs to belly up to the fw bar and make their lenses work with Canon's new bodies.

Canon probably likes that Sigma lenses don't work. More lens sales for Canon, less for Sigma,

Sep 25, 2016 at 05:33 PM
SoftImage
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

mogud wrote:

When Sigma lenses don't work on new Canon bodies, it's not up to Canon to make Sigma lenses work. It's Sigma that needs to belly up to the fw bar and make their lenses work with Canon's new bodies.

Canon probably likes that Sigma lenses don't work. More lens sales for Canon, less for Sigma,

According to Canonwatch, FW update will 'solve' compatibility issue with 3rd party lenses. I find this unusual.

Sep 25, 2016 at 05:41 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

This isn't good. . Of course it is.

I can use the archaic method of buttons & wheels without removing my eye from the viewfinder.

Can't seem to do that with a touchscreen.

Sep 25, 2016 at 05:44 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

mogud wrote:

It's a little tongue in cheek humor.

---------------------------------------------

SoftImage wrote:
According to Canonwatch, FW update will 'solve' compatibility issue with 3rd party lenses. I find this unusual.

It's possible that compatibility is the issue

HP recently updated some printer firmware to prevent the use of 3rd party inks...

Hopefully, the 3rd party lenses will continue to work just fine. I believe that Canon would shoot themselves in the foot if they really did do something to prevent 3rd party lenses from working.

Sep 25, 2016 at 06:22 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

JaimitoFrog wrote:
too bad they cant make the touch screen for the 1dxii more like 5DIV via FW.

Why not?

Sep 25, 2016 at 08:21 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

Imagemaster wrote:
. Of course it is.

I can use the archaic method of buttons & wheels without removing my eye from the viewfinder.

One thing you can do with the touchscreen without removing your eye from the viewfinder is change the AF point.

Sep 25, 2016 at 09:16 PM
JaimitoFrog
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

Imagemaster wrote:
. Of course it is.

I think the traditional controls are fine. Adding touch screen doesn't affect people who like to use the physical controls. 5DIV is like that, all the controls like 5d3 are still there, they just added touch screen interface to it. I don't know for a fact if on 5d4 you can turn off the touch screen or not. More options the better I think. For reviewing images, pinch to zoom is nice.

Sep 25, 2016 at 09:30 PM
JaimitoFrog
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

stanj wrote:
Why not?

I hope they can, but the latest 1dxii FW was released after 5D4, and it didn't add that function. I don't see why it can't, unless the 1dxii touch screen cannot support two finger or swipe gestures. But even if true, the menu navigation should be ok with single touch.

Obviously, this wasn't a big deal to pro shooters. But nikon was able to do that for D5.

Sep 25, 2016 at 09:34 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · This isn't good. New firmware update for 5D Mk IV already?

danski0224 wrote:

It's a little tongue in cheek humor.

---------------------------------------------

It's possible that compatibility is the issue

HP recently updated some printer firmware to prevent the use of 3rd party inks...

Hopefully, the 3rd party lenses will continue to work just fine. I believe that Canon would shoot themselves in the foot if they really did do something to prevent 3rd party lenses from working.

Sorry....my bad. However, i really have read forum posts where posters actually think it's Canon's fault and strongly defend their statement.

Sep 25, 2016 at 11:12 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.