Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Broken 24-105 - ideas on repair cost?

freetime101
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Broken 24-105 - ideas on repair cost?

Hi All,

Has anyone in the UK had their 24-105L aperture replaced? If so, what was the cost and where did you get it done? I'm looking for recommendations...

It's not been a good month for the lens, first the red ring fell off:

Now I get "ERR 1" when either trying to shoot stopped down, or pressing the DOF preview button. Shooting wide open seems fine but I can actually see the aperture struggling to open/close when stopping down

I've had a google and it seems ERR 1 pretty much always means a new aperture assembly, I've watched a how to video and this is not an operation I'll be attempting myself!

My concern is that since the v2 has been announced, the price of the v1 has fallen to the point where it may not be worth the repair, at least from Canon and especially if the bit with the red ring needs replacing too. I guess I may have myself a new paperweight I'm also wary of 3rd party repairs as I'd hate to get the lens back to find further problems - dust inside etc.

Does anybody know of a good Canon repair shop in Britain? Preferable North East England but I suppose I'll be posting it anyway...

Thanks in advance

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:36 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Broken 24-105 - ideas on repair cost?

Before you do that, make sure that the contacts are clean where the lens attaches to the body. A mis-communication could result from dirty contacts. Otherwise, I can't help with the repair cost. Might be cheaper to buy a used one, or wait for the Mk II.

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:39 PM
freetime101
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Broken 24-105 - ideas on repair cost?

Thanks, both lens and camera contacts are nice and shiny - I'll borrow some fine emery paper from work tomorrow to try and polish them up a bit though.

Other lenses work fine with the camera, but I only have one body so can't test the lens on other bodies.

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:44 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Broken 24-105 - ideas on repair cost?

After following Tom-W's advice, if you want a cost estimate your best option is to simply contact the Canon repair folks — they will give you an estimate when you send it in, and you can decide if it is worth that cost or not.

With any lens, it can be a tricky question to decide whether the cost of repair makes sense. For my part, unless the lens is badly worn and nearing its end of life or afflicted with a problem that is unlikely to be really fixed, it usually makes more sense to pay the cost for the repair. In a lot of cases the repaired lens will perform as good as (or occasionally better than) new.

I had a focusing issue with my 24-105 following some hard use back in perhaps 2008-2009 or so. (It had been used on a lot of backpacking trips, jammed into various kinds of packs and so forth.) I developed an issue with very soft focus on one side of the frame, to the point that it eventually became unusable. At first I considered replacing it, but I decided to send it to Canon for adjustment. It came back in excellent shape — better than it was originally, as verified by looking at previous files — and it has been solid since then.

On the other hand, this could be a sign to you "from the universe" that you should upgrade to the v.II version. ;-)

Dan

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:46 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Broken 24-105 - ideas on repair cost?

freetime101 wrote:
Thanks, both lens and camera contacts are nice and shiny - I'll borrow some fine emery paper from work tomorrow to try and polish them up a bit though.

Other lenses work fine with the camera, but I only have one body so can't test the lens on other bodies.

Sounds like your aperture, but as freetime101 says, it could be a contact. DO NOT use emory paper to clean contacts! They are gold plated and you will remove the gold. Just clean with a bit of alcohol and a swab, both the body and the lens. My best (uneducated guess) is about $275-300. Good luck.

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:57 PM
freetime101
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Broken 24-105 - ideas on repair cost?

dhachey wrote:
DO NOT use emory paper to clean contacts! They are gold plated and you will remove the gold. Just clean with a bit of alcohol and a swab, both the body and the lens.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm off to find the gin

I've read a bit further online though and it seems that there is a weak point in this lens with the ribbon cable so it's not looking good

Maybe it is the gods telling me to buy new kit... if only the gods would help my bank account too

Sep 25, 2016 at 01:04 PM
freetime101
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Broken 24-105 - ideas on repair cost?

Nope, tried cleaning the contacts with gin and a cotton bud (Q-tip). At first the lens worked perfectly - yay!

But then I zoomed.... the lens seems to work OK around 24mm but has issues when the barrel is extended, which sadly supports the ribbon cable theory Guess I'll be calling Canon...

Sep 25, 2016 at 01:22 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Broken 24-105 - ideas on repair cost?

dhachey wrote:
DO NOT use emory paper to clean contacts! They are gold plated and you will remove the gold. Just clean with a bit of alcohol and a swab, both the body and the lens.

A pencil eraser can work, too.

Sep 25, 2016 at 03:19 PM
vin14
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Broken 24-105 - ideas on repair cost?

Hi, mine developed an issue a couple of years ago, whilst it was still working it was making an almighty grinding noise, so I send it to Canon UK by way of the retailer I bought it from. The repair cost was around 300 euro, which I suspect may be a standard charge, as repair to my 70-200 cost the same earlier this year, despite needing more work. I expect it would be a little cheaper if you're based in Mainland UK as obviously I had to ship oversea.

Sep 25, 2016 at 04:07 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Broken 24-105 - ideas on repair cost?

gdanmitchell wrote:
A pencil eraser can work, too.

Some people are of the opinion that you should not do that - that it can wear off the thin electroplating.

Thoughts?

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:56 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Broken 24-105 - ideas on repair cost?

Paul Mo wrote:
Some people are of the opinion that you should not do that - that it can wear off the thin electroplating.

Thoughts?

I hadn't heard that, but I'd be interested in a source for that info. I've used the eraser method, though not aggressively, in the past... but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is safe.

More info?

Dan

Sep 26, 2016 at 01:04 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Broken 24-105 - ideas on repair cost?

its probably a broken ribbon cable in the lens as that seems to be a weakness for that lens . mine went on the fritz pretty much as you describe . although mine would also work at the wide end but not when zoomed (probably because it was stressing the cable) .

cost of repair on mine was me just buying a brand new 24-70/4L . I disliked the 24-105L and was just using cos I had it and hadn't found anything better .

Sep 26, 2016 at 01:15 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Broken 24-105 - ideas on repair cost?

There are a lot posts spread throughout forums. This is supposedly a reply from Canon:

"I recommend cleaning the lens contacts on the back of the lens and the
front of the camera with a soft cotton cloth. If the issue persists
then please forward the camera to our factory for evaluation with the
Canon lens."

There are many people calling into question the sensibility of the pencil eraser method. Though to be fair, there seem to be a great many formulas used in eraser manufacturing - ranging from coarse to very soft.

Sep 26, 2016 at 01:17 AM
Pedro Claro
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Broken 24-105 - ideas on repair cost?

When I had one, after 3 years of moderate use it developed the 01 Err. It cost me a little over 200€ to repair locally (on a certified Canon repair centre). I sold it afterwards and now have a 24-70/4L IS which I find optically better, in spite of having a less useful range.

Sep 26, 2016 at 04:05 AM
freetime101
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Broken 24-105 - ideas on repair cost?

Well it's back and the aperture is working! Yay! I haven't done the brick wall test yet to check focus/sharpness but there is no dust and the zoom ring has been tightened up nicely - feels great, no more zoom creep! They also glued the red ring back in place for me while it was apart, this worked for a while but soon came unstuck, can't complain though as this was a freebie with the ribbon cable.

Just incase anybody in England is interested,
Quote from Canon was £120+VAT to replace the cable.
APM cameras in Newcastle did it for £80 all in.

APM said it was indeed the ribbon cable which always breaks in the same place, bit of a design flaw but there you go...

As for the red ring, I know it doesn't effect the image but I presume it may have something to do with weather sealing? Also the lens just doesn't look as good without it's bling
I don't suppose anybody has ever replaced the red ring? Or the section it is attached to? Any ideas on what this costs or what the part number is?

Nov 11, 2016 at 05:17 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Broken 24-105 - ideas on repair cost?

freetime101 wrote:
Well it's back and the aperture is working! Yay! I haven't done the brick wall test yet to check focus/sharpness but there is no dust and the zoom ring has been tightened up nicely - feels great, no more zoom creep! They also glued the red ring back in place for me while it was apart, this worked for a while but soon came unstuck, can't complain though as this was a freebie with the ribbon cable.

Just incase anybody in England is interested,
Quote from Canon was £120+VAT to replace the cable.
APM cameras in Newcastle did it for £80 all
...Show more

The Red Ring is decorative, call canon and ask about a new one. It should be possible to slip it on, its a red O-ring. The repair service should have put a new one on for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-L-lens-red-ring-silicone-replacement-NEW-UK-seller-/172299210260?hash=item281dd54e14:g:MH8AAOSwtnpXqOpV

Nov 11, 2016 at 08:41 PM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Broken 24-105 - ideas on repair cost?

Send the lens into Canon. They have the parts and the experience. They will give you an estimate and you can either accept or decline. If you decline, you are out only the postage. If you are not yet a member, you should join Canon CPS. Silver membership is free. I've been a member since, I think, the 70s or whenever CPS began. I haven't needed service very often over that time, but when I have, the repairs have been quick, excellently done and promptly returned. Door-to-door turnaround has generally been a week or less. Prices have, in my estimation, been extremely reasonable.

Nov 13, 2016 at 08:13 PM
freetime101
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Broken 24-105 - ideas on repair cost?

Thanks all, I've ordered the silicon ring from ebay - will report back once it's fitted!

Nov 16, 2016 at 03:08 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.