New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

I currently have a 6D and a 5DRS and they're both super cameras. I use the 5DRS when I'm going to spectacular places because of the high resolution and colors. I can also crop quite well w/ the 50mp and not worry about it.

I use he 6D for everything else, but it's started to feel a bit weathered. I've never had a 5DM2 or M3 before, and I"m thinking that now since I'm doing a lot more work for people, maybe I should get a 5DM4 to replace the 6D?

OR I could just wait until the 6DM2 comes out, but how much of a difference do you think there will be between the 5DM4 and the 6DM2? I think they're very similar except the 6DM2 is just going to be a cheaper version of the 5D.

Money is obviously a concern and if I got another camera to replace the 6D, I would convert the 6D to a full-time IR camera.

The big thing is how much better is the 5DM4 over the 6D series, and presumably the upcoming 6DM2, which you would have to guess on.
Thanks.
Bill

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:10 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

I would hold off and see what the 6D2 brings and also let the 5D4 prices drop. In either case you win - you already have superb cameras.

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:23 PM
PIOK
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

Please >>> Why even ask about something what is not available now and maybe never will be... ?

You have fantastic cameras, if you can't take good photos with them - even "6D IV" will not change this...

There is always gonna be better and cheaper cameras tomorrow.
Learn Lighting and Photoshop - this will improve your photos more than newer technology

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:50 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

Paul Mo wrote:
I would hold off and see what the 6D2 brings and also let the 5D4 prices drop. In either case you win - you already have superb cameras.

This.

While I can't personally afford (and couldn't make the case for one over my 6D for my shooting if I did) a 5D IV, the real question on the 6D II is just what it will bring to the table. It's not very likely that Canon would allow it to overshadow the 5D IV in *any* way, but there are certain things that would make the 6D II a definite hard 'want' for me, and that is a better AF system, at least one that's better than say the 7D (while being far more accurate). Beyond that, DPAF with touch shutter would be a game changer as it would defeat the need for off-center/rule of thirds focus points for portraiture.

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:05 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

What 6D II? If you want a camera this year, buy the 5D IV. Otherwise wait until the 6D II is announced.

EBH

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:16 AM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

As everyone said already, a 6D ii is not available, and probably won't be for a year, if not more.

As for those that long for better AF than what you find in the 7D...well, I hope you meant 80D...I highly doubt it will be better than that even - personally I would be happy with it being a FF version of the 80...rotating touch screen, last gen DP sensor, a dozen or so selectable f/8 cross type phase af points well spreaded. Surely less than 6fps. Dual SD cards wouldn't hurt either.

---

OP, Sounds like you just long for an excuse to relieve that burn in your pocket.

Sep 25, 2016 at 01:55 AM
Kmccarthy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

Assuming your motivation to upgrade is better AF, why not get a used 5D3? They are a bargain right now. It would probably only cost you $600 if you traded the 6D.

Sep 25, 2016 at 08:03 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

dtolios wrote:
OP, Sounds like you just long for an excuse to relieve that burn in your pocket.

Ditto. You don't need another camera, you want another camera, and YOU should know what you want.

Sep 25, 2016 at 09:17 AM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

I use the 5DRS when I'm going to spectacular places because of the high resolution and colors. I can also crop quite well w/ the 50mp and not worry about it.

I use he 6D for everything else, but it's started to feel a bit weathered.

-------------------------------------------

In reading this I don't think it matters what you get. You will still feel that the 'next model' will be the answer.

Sep 25, 2016 at 09:19 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

There is always another camera coming that is faster, more DR, better AF, lots more MP.

Buy whats available not what's rumoured

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:56 AM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

We all know the differences between a 5DIV and 6D with regard to AF. But when it comes down to IQ at low, 100 ISO, 'normal', (say 400-800) and 'high', (say 3200-10,000), ISOs is there much advantage in the IV? $2,000 worth?

Sep 25, 2016 at 08:11 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

Daniel Smith wrote:
I use the 5DRS when I'm going to spectacular places because of the high resolution and colors. I can also crop quite well w/ the 50mp and not worry about it.

-------------------------------------------

In reading this I don't think it matters what you get. You will still feel that the 'next model' will be the answer.

I think you're right Daniel. I've been using the 5D for spectacular scenery because of the awesome resolution, and the 6D for everything else. I just used the 6D for a photo-shoot for work and it did magnificent. Even though I recognize the limitation of the AF system, not one child's face out of the 250 photos I shot on Saturday, was out of focus. The only thing that surprised me was that a couple of photos, the faces were a bit dark with someone next to them well-lit. And I had a Canon speedlite working to avoid this. It was an out door shot in the hot sun.

Anyway, I'm convinced that I don't need to burn a whole in my wallet when I have two excellent cameras; I have one for the really good stuff and one for the daily-grind work.
Thanks.
Bill

Sep 27, 2016 at 09:31 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

there wil be two main improvements in 6dII. dual pixel af and DR. alsoprobably a slight bump in resolution, I would guess about 24.
It may also host an articulating screen.
question becomes under what circumstance would you ever use it over your 5dsr, and I dont know the answer. It will not match the AF or resolution of 5dsr. thats a given. it will have better dr, and much better suited for video. you have to decide.

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:21 PM
Yukonsjoy

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

http://www.cameraegg.org/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-rumors-25mp-4k-coming-at-cp-2017/

Sep 28, 2016 at 01:41 PM
StevenSHH
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

You already have 5DSR, takes care of landscape and studio.

6D II is basically 5D III; just like 6D is 5D II with Wifi and GPS in Rebel body.

It may add bluetooth, NFC, and touch screen. Availability is sometime in 2017 - according to rumors.

6D Mark II would be a dream to have dual SD slot and articulate screen...(Nice if Canon wants to match D750, but they usually don't)

Edited on Sep 28, 2016 at 03:42 PM · View previous versions

Sep 28, 2016 at 02:10 PM
markshelby
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

I would love to be proved wrong, but my prediction is that the 6Dmkii will only have one card slot. It seems to me that the single slot keeps the professionals buying the more expensive models.

Sep 28, 2016 at 03:15 PM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

The difference between the new 6D and new 5D will be the same as the previous generation. They live in different price points and will never compete directly against each other. Waiting will allow you to take advantage of Canon's improved sensors, but other than that, you already have a couple of solid cameras.

Sep 28, 2016 at 03:41 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

billsamuels wrote:

Is it being a "bit weathered" impacting your ability to produce good works with it. I suspect the answer is definitely NOT.

The diff's we are seeing between iterations of cameras is really pretty incremental in the grand scheme of things. I'd re-think your thoughts on the value of a "weathered" camera.

I shot the SLR/C upwards of being 10 years old ... and still produced good works with it. Why, because it's a camera that produces excellent images (just a one trick pony @ base ISO) for me. I went to have a headshot done a couple years ago, and my photographer was still using a 5D2, and knocked out excellent works hand over fist with all his clients.

Marketing would suggest we need to have the latest and greatest, and that OMG if we don't have 1/1,000,000,000 of a % more DR, we'll miss that shot of a lifetime 100 times a day.

We get fond of an "old truck", but an old camera ... OMG, that'll never work.

That said, what's lacking in your 6D that you need to be "not weathered"?

Imo, the 5D4 is really the "sweet spot" for a versatile workhorse ... but, really if that's your "one camera" setup. With a 5DsR in your pocket for your "special" stuff, that puts your other camera (6D, 5D4, 6D II) @ routine stuff.

For "routine" stuff ... 6D =

I think you'll be fine with 6D, 5D4 or 6D II ... but, I'm with the others @ keep shooting your 6D and let the GAS pass, while enjoying your "weathered" 6D @ "old reliable".

BTW, I'll be very (pleasantly) surprised if they put an articulating display in the 6D II.

Sep 28, 2016 at 08:37 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

I'd choose something that exists.

Sep 28, 2016 at 10:41 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Trying to decide to buy 5DM4 or 6DM2

StevenSHH wrote:
You already have 5DSR, takes care of landscape and studio.

6D II is basically 5D III; just like 6D is 5D II with Wifi and GPS in Rebel body.

It may add bluetooth, NFC, and touch screen. Availability is sometime in 2017 - according to rumors.

6D Mark II would be a dream to have dual SD slot and articulate screen...(Nice if Canon wants to match D750, but they usually don't)

The 6D II will probably have the sluggish UHS-I which is far from a dream.

EBH

Sep 28, 2016 at 10:43 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.