New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · yellowstone/Grand Teton in mid-September

Schlotkins
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · yellowstone/Grand Teton in mid-September

Well, I'm planning out my trips next year and I want to hit Yellowstone/Grand Teton in mid-September next year. I am planning on 10 days. (day September 15-24). Are those dates good for tree color? Any tips on how to spread out my lodging? Other tips?

Thanks,
Chris

PS - I saw some other threads but those were mostly wildlife related whereas I'm more landscape oriented and if I see wildlife great.

Sep 24, 2016 at 07:31 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · yellowstone/Grand Teton in mid-September

There isn't much in Yellowstone landscape wise outside of some waterfalls. I'll focus more on the Tetons. Just returned from there. The colors were peaking when we reached (21st) but the weather was cloudy and rained for the next 2-3 days. We did get a couple of good weather days. 10 days may be too much for just Tetons however (assuming no wasted days due to weather). The dates look good - I would take the later part rather the earlier one.

Edited on Oct 26, 2016 at 11:45 PM · View previous versions

Sep 28, 2016 at 02:29 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · yellowstone/Grand Teton in mid-September

And thermal features. We were in the area about this time (9/30 to 10/10 or so) 30 years ago - honeymoon and it was maybe a bit past color peak in Grand Tetons but not bad. Very good for animal activity, especially but not only Yellowstone. Elk rut in progress, lots of bison activity, and others, mountain sheep near roads in Mammoth Hot Springs area, bull elk sparring on the parade ground, and elsewhere, too. We stayed at Signal Mountain Lodge in GT and Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone. Note that some of the lodging and other facilities may well be closing down for the season or shifting to other portions of the facility to accommodate seasonal changes. We were almost shut out of the Inn at Old Faithful although I believe the Snow Lodge was about to open again. Mammoth Hot Springs was re-opening, IIRC, to handle winter travel as the road is open to Mammoth from outside all year. We had no rain although an early snow came close to closing some roads and causing big detours for us. Cold weather resulted in early morning fogs over the hot springs near Old Faithful and lots of steam for the geysers, etc. So maybe 50/50 Yellowstone and GT or perhaps a little more time in Yellowstone. More animal activity as well as longer drives.

Oct 02, 2016 at 12:20 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.