Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2016 · When did the 24-105 F/4 become so hated?

sandycrane
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · When did the 24-105 F/4 become so hated?

howard wrote:
First, some say it is "boring", now you say it has little "charisma". These lenses really have artificial intelligence built in, don't they? I wonder if they will talk back to you if you take a crappy picture?

No, no artificial intelligence included. No, it doesn't talk. Anything else I can help you with?

Sep 29, 2016 at 09:34 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · When did the 24-105 F/4 become so hated?

I think the basic problem with this lens is that it is an L lens and some people who care about these things think that it does not live up to some imaginary L standard. But it really is just a lens in a very useful range that has no major faults and has produced very satisfactory images for many users.

Sep 29, 2016 at 09:49 AM
howard
• • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · When did the 24-105 F/4 become so hated?

sandycrane wrote:
No, no artificial intelligence included. No, it doesn't talk. Anything else I can help you with?

No, I don't need your help. But you can help yourself by learning some humor.

Sep 29, 2016 at 09:58 AM
Sorbet
• •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · When did the 24-105 F/4 become so hated?

Michael White wrote:
When I was gathering my kit I asked around as I had the 70200f2.8isl at the time and maybe one other lens. Everyone said get the 124-105.

Now I know there been several new batches of lenses released since then but it seems that the 24-105 kit lens is just that a kit lens.

I really enjoyed mine for its sharpness. Just did not love the f/4 max aperture so much.

Sep 29, 2016 at 07:44 PM
asiafish
• • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · When did the 24-105 F/4 become so hated?

Its a good lens, but not a particularly great one. What is great is that it is very cheap as a bundle or white box used, has an extremely useful range, fairly light weight and good build quality with weather-sealing. Image quality is good enough for most uses, but not spectacular like the lens it is usually compared to, the 24-70mm f/2.8 mk II, which is a spectacular lens in terms of image quality.

Canon tried to replace it with the 24-70mm f/4, which is optically much better (especially at 24mm), not to mention enough smaller and lighter to really notice and has the macro mode (pretty good, actually) and better IS. Of course, that lens was initially released at an overly high price, and it gives up 35mm of reach compared to the cheaper and almost as sharp 24-105.

The new 24-105/4 mk II is about to hit the market, comes at a good price ($100 more than the old one) and given Canon's recent lens designs, is likely to be as good or better than the 24-70mm f/4 and perhaps as good as the 24-70mm f/2.8 mk II, which would be impressive indeed. Sadly, the new lens is also quite a bit larger than its predecessor and much heavier as well. The new lens, in fact, is within spitting distance of the 24-70mm f/2.8 mk II in both size and weight, and that is a lens that many people love for its optics, but hate to carry around all day.

Canon's lineup as of the end of this month is actually quite diverse and attractive, and if the new 24-105 is as good as I suspect it will be, really gives three very distinct options at three clearly defined price points.

$900 gets the 24-70/4, which is also the smallest, lightest and the only with serious macro magnification capabilities. This will be the cheap kit lens for 5D4 and 6D2 kits and will likely be the best option for traveling light.

$1100 gets the new 24-105/4 while $1800 gets the fast 24-70/2.8. Get the f/4 if you need IS and the longer range, or the f/2.8 if you need the extra stop. Both are about the same size and weight, and will be more of an event or studio option.

I've had a few copies of the old 24-105/4 and liked it enough, but never loved it. I tried the 24-70/4 and loved it in terms of size, weight and image quality, but really wished it would zoom to 105mm. Still, I like to travel, so the 24-70/4 is the best one for me. When I want better optical quality (doesn't give up much) or more often a faster aperture, I have a nice set of Canon L primes.

Oct 03, 2016 at 02:56 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · When did the 24-105 F/4 become so hated?

asiafish wrote:
...$1100 gets the new 24-105/4 while $1800 gets the fast 24-70/2.8. Get the f/4 if you need IS and the longer range, or the f/2.8 if you need the extra stop. Both are about the same size and weight, and will be more of an event or studio option...

I use mine mainly for travel, so size, weight and range are important. If the new version is as good as expectations, I'm not sure what I'll do. Bear the weight increase like I do with the 100-400 II or keep with the old version. Damn Cannon, why do you keep coming out with upgrades?

Oct 04, 2016 at 10:57 AM
ssc45
• •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · When did the 24-105 F/4 become so hated?

This is not directed against anyone in particular. Throughout this thread and in other places, I see people talking about the weight of the new lens. If I am reading the stats correctly, the new lens will be 4.36 oz's heavier. If that is correct, then, in my opinion, that is a non-issue for me. YMMV

Cheers, Steve

Oct 04, 2016 at 04:00 PM
ScottS1957
• •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · When did the 24-105 F/4 become so hated?

Just read this thread. Wow! Lots of info and LOTS of strong opinions and emotions. I just received from B&H, my Canon 6D and Canon 24-105mm f/4 last night, and I cannot WAIT to get going on FF and the new possibilities. I'm coming from a Canon 40D that I bought used on KEH.

One of the things that I truly appreciate about the FM Forum is the opportunity to learn a ton from experienced and talented photographers such as you.

Another thing I'm learning about this forum is how inflamed conversations can become over differing viewpoints.

Kudos to those of you who simply stated your thoughts and let others do the same without necessarily responding to "EVERYTHING" that was said. That's hard to do. I admire you for that discretion.

I'm a public school teacher, and I have had to learn how to lead and teach without necessarily responding to EVERYTHING that I see and hear. That discretion has brought me peace as an educator

If I might also add, I am truly excited to explore this set-up that I now have:

Canon 6D
Canon 24-105mm f/4
Canon 70-200mm IS f/4
Canon 16-35mm f/4
Canon 50mm STM f/1.8
F-Stop Guru Daypack
A Trekking Tour to the Indian Himalaya with 20 College Students

Wish me luck ! Truly can't wait. I may leave some of this gear home, though we do have our North Face Duffels carried by porters and mule packs.

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts. I for one, am moving up to FF, and that is going to be the biggest change in my photography. Can't wait to play around with the low light capacity of the 6D and the ISO settings. And, frankly, enjoy that sensor.

All the Best!

ScottS

Dec 10, 2016 at 05:50 PM
Spikey131
• •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · When did the 24-105 F/4 become so hated?

I also moved from a 40D (which I really liked) to a 6D. I have a lens set similar to yours.

The low light performance really does blow you away. With your 50 f/1.8, you can almost shoot in the dark.

The FF files will astound you when you load them into your computer. For me, it would be hard to live without a FF camera now.

I have no issues at all with the 24-105. It is a great travel lens due to it's relatively small size and versatility. Some of my best photos are with this lens because it is always on the camera.

When traveling, I leave GPS turned on all the time. But you have to charge your battery every night and put a fresh one in every day. It really is handy to have location data on your files.

I also have a daypack which fits under an airline seat. When I travel, I limit my gear to what fits in the pack. I keep it light enough so that I can carry it when touring. I never regret the weight since I want to have the flexibility of multiple lenses.

Good luck and I hope you bring back some great shots!!

Dec 10, 2016 at 09:31 PM
ScottS1957
• •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · When did the 24-105 F/4 become so hated?

Spikey,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and positivity! And indeed I will bring back some great shots hopefully! Happy to hear that you like your 6D and the 24-105! And your comment about the 50mm 1.8 truly excites me, as the low light situation was the turning point for me toward DSLR's and no more PowerShot S5IS. Although I got some great pics with that PowerShot in daylight, when it got dark or when inside, that flash just changed "the mood" of the photographs and the situation. Most people don't like being "flashed" !

The GPS sounds great. So many times on vacations, I'm wishing that I could pinpoint exactly where I was with a certain shot.

Can I ask what daypack you have? I'm with you on the choice to have flexibility on lenses. When I'm slogging up to Tapovan Meadow beneath Shivling Peak at 21000 feet, I know I may wonder why on Earth I'm carrying all of this. But when I reach the meadow, I know that I'm going to be smiling with the options.

Thanks again, Spikey!

Dec 11, 2016 at 07:18 AM
Spikey131
• •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · When did the 24-105 F/4 become so hated?

i have the Lowepro Flipside 300.

Looks like your Guru would be better for serious hiking.

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:10 PM
ScottS1957
• •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · When did the 24-105 F/4 become so hated?

Thanks, still Lowepro is solid as well!

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:52 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · When did the 24-105 F/4 become so hated?

Photonadave wrote:
Ahh come-on! It's a popular lens! It deserves another thread.

BTW I've actually never used this lens, I only have the coffee mug version.

Hahaha yeah me too.

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:52 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · When did the 24-105 F/4 become so hated?

ScottS1957 wrote:
Just read this thread. Wow! Lots of info and LOTS of strong opinions and emotions. I just received from B&H, my Canon 6D and Canon 24-105mm f/4 last night, and I cannot WAIT to get going on FF and the new possibilities. I'm coming from a Canon 40D that I bought used on KEH.

One of the things that I truly appreciate about the FM Forum is the opportunity to learn a ton from experienced and talented photographers such as you.

Another thing I'm learning about this forum is how inflamed conversations can become over differing viewpoints.

Kudos to those of
...Show more

Hi Scott,

I like your message and I almost didn't want to respond so as to comply with what you say you admire in your post ("not responding to "everything") but then you would never know I made a serious consideration on that

I just want to say I also once owned a 40D and a 5D classic with 24-105, as from 2007. You have a great looking kit with some gem lenses and an excellent sensor. I have first hand experience with the 70-200 and 16-35 versions you own and they leave very few to be desired. I wish you lots of joy exploring new possibilities and - hopefully - new inspiration.

Ralph

Dec 12, 2016 at 04:01 PM
ScottS1957
• •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · When did the 24-105 F/4 become so hated?

Ralph,

Thanks so much for your affirmation on my message! And you made me chuckle with your "...almost didn't want to respond so as to comply...." That had me laughing !

Thanks for sharing your joy over the 70-200 and the 16-35! I am so "over the top" excited to link those with the sensor on the 6D now, too! My 40D perked up "a bit" with those two on it. Yet the lighting and clarity still didn't pop the way I see images on FM, Canon Forum, Flickr, and People's Web Sites. I'm looking forward to that "individual hairs of the dog" and the "strands" on the flowers look!

Thanks again for sharing your joy, Ralph! Much appreciated !

Scott S

Dec 14, 2016 at 02:00 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.