New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Website critique!

nkampfender

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Website critique!

Hi All,

My name is Nicholas Kamp Fender, I am graduating from Auburn in December and have put together a website to use as a portfolio in my current job search.
If you have a second I'm asking for a quick critique of the site (photos used, thoughts on bio, what it could benefit from, what should be trashed).

Kampfender.com
Anything would be a great help, Thanks.

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:47 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Website critique!

Welcome to the PC Forum.

You might want to post this up over in the Pro Forum. They used to have a routine thread about website review / critique.

If not, there are still some folks there who will give you some (tough love) prudent advice. Just bear in mind, there a lot of very seasoned pro's there who have very distinct opinions, so it might get a little harsh & direct sometimes ... but direct is a good thing, imo.

If you truly want to work in this industry, learning some hard truths sooner than later can be to your advantage.

That said:

Your bio is written in third person. Probably not the most professional. Also, your bio has a "touchy feely" kinda of spin to it. I get the "personal" vibe, but it's borderline "sappy".

Images ... I'm kinda split on this one. Given your age / experience, certain things I want to nitpick at, I feel like I shouldn't, so I'll just kinda group them a bit.

It looks like you're trying to show your diversity ... that'll probably get you a lot of dissent in the pro forum. I get that we can do a lot of diff things, but showing sports and portrait and landscape and nature kinda sends a message that you haven't decided what you want to be ... leaving me not sure who you are trying to be. Given your internship, it would suggest sports. Given your goal @ NatGeo ... and not much landscape / nature, it suggests it's a pipedream rather than something you're working toward.

Showcasing your range is certainly part of portfolio presentation ... but your portfolio / site should let folks know who YOU are as a photographer. As is, it strikes me as a collection of cliche', look, I can be everything. That said, it does seem to lean toward sports.

I ask repeatedly of folks "What is the message you want your image to convey to your audience / viewer(s)?" I advocate the message extensively, and suggest that if you don't know the message you are trying to convey, then how can your viewer know what message they should receive from an image.

Imo, that goes quadruple for your portfolio / site. We spend a lot of time learning how to take / make pictures. The thing that we need to learn professionally is how to cull our images very well, so that we ensure that we show the world what we want them to see, and not what we don't. Culling is a tough thing to embrace when we so aspire to show the world all that we've done. I get that, particularly in remembrance of so many years ago. The eagerness and enthusiasm runs with as much power and endlessness as Niagara Falls.

The other thing is your colors seem a bit off WB @ blow in the wind of different lighting, suggesting you just kinda take what you get from the camera, rather than having a control of your neutral anchors. That may / may not matter in certain circles, but if you want to show the mark of excellence, imo this is an area where you are able to differentiate yourself from the masses who also leave this technical matter unattended. I kinda expect it from GWAC folks, but coming out of a higher learning program, I'd expect to see better. Sounds a bit direct / harsh maybe ... but, it's a COMPETITIVE world out there, with a lot of young guns just like yourself wanting to be part of this industry.

Imo, you've got to really scrutinize both your culling of your work message AND your ability to present your technical excellence. Short answer, I think you need to raise the bar and have a disciplined "retooling" of what you are trying to present. If this were an essay, I'd give it a C+ ... slightly above mediocrity ... maybe a B- if I was feeling generous.

I hope that doesn't sound too harsh, but I'm a firm believer that sugar coating is okay for hobby / family snapshots ... but for pro level stuff, I think it's a disservice to someone to not shoot straight with them. I hope that makes sense.

Welcome to the PC Forum and FM.

FM ROCKS !!!

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:26 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.