Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · HS Football Week 05

timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS Football Week 05

My local team (and son) had the night off with a bye week,so visited some friends at a neighboring school where the lighting is much better than the home field. Still at ISO 8000, but a much cleaner light.

© timgangloff 2016

© timgangloff 2016

© timgangloff 2016

© timgangloff 2016

© timgangloff 2016

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:36 PM
whizkid313

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS Football Week 05

Good stuff! Can I ask your equipment, camera and lens? Looks nice and tight like a 300mm? Are you using flash on any shots?

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:43 PM
whizkid313

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS Football Week 05

I'm looking to get some good shots to send to MaxPreps. Got booted out of a game tonight right after kick off...no credentials.

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:46 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS Football Week 05

Thanks Whizkid. 400 2.8 IS on a 1dx2. No flash. ISO 6400 to 8000.

Sometimes, it is better to ask permission upfront. Talk with your local school's AD and ask. In my area, they want a background check before allowing you on the field. I'm sure not everyone follows that rule, but I have and have never had an issue. Once you get kicked out, it makes it tougher to come back legitimately.

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:56 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS Football Week 05

Is somebody throwing a helmet in #4? it's on the right side of the frame.

Great set btw! The OOF rendering of that lens helps too.

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:19 AM
jcnemy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS Football Week 05

Tim - great stuff as usual.

# 5 for me. I like the tighter crops...but I like the full body shot on this one and the eyes/face seal the deal.

Still need to go through my take from last night. A lot of action...but seems I was always at the wrong side or totally out of position. Hoping to post by tomorrow night.

JC

Sep 24, 2016 at 10:23 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS Football Week 05

timgangloff wrote:

Sometimes, it is better to ask permission upfront. Talk with your local school's AD and ask. In my area, they want a background check before allowing you on the field. I'm sure not everyone follows that rule, but I have and have never had an issue. Once you get kicked out, it makes it tougher to come back legitimately.

Also, get you some liability insurance while on the sideline, too.

Btw, I like the stiff arm shot on the defender's face mask.

Sep 25, 2016 at 08:01 PM
whizkid313

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HS Football Week 05

timgangloff wrote:

________________________________________________________________________________________

You're welcome and you're right. In the past I've have spoken with the A.D. and been allowed permission but this time I didn't. No biggie, I'll live. Thanks for the gear and exposure info. One more question.....With the 400mm lens, do you stay mainly near the ends? Do you ever work the sidelines with the 400?

Sep 26, 2016 at 10:40 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HS Football Week 05

Yes, I love shooting tight from the sidelines. Keep in mind, most HS fields are lit from the sides, so your best light is usually between the 20s and from the side. All of these were from the sidelines, either right at or near the line of scrimmage to maybe 30 yards downfield. And yes, I miss lots of shots shooting tight. The team in white ran some kind of triple option and I lost the ball lots of times and with the 400, you simply can't get back on track fast enough as the field of view is so small when you are close to the action.

Sep 27, 2016 at 08:55 AM
pat.kane
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HS Football Week 05

Great shots and tremendous color rendition. The quantity of light might not be that great but the quality is. LED?

Sep 27, 2016 at 07:52 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HS Football Week 05

Thanks and no LED Pat, but they must be newer bulbs, or at least a lot newer than most of the places around here. I may have used the 1dx2 anti-flicker on some of these, I can't recall now. The anti-flicker does work, albeit, with a slight hit to the FPS and shutter lag.

Sep 28, 2016 at 08:29 AM
pat.kane
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · HS Football Week 05

Thanks. I just picked up a 1dx2 and am anxiously waiting an opportunity to try anti-flicker. I use strobe in a couple of gyms due to really bad cycling lights and I'm curious if this feature will prove to work well enough for me to shoot available light.

Sep 28, 2016 at 06:59 PM
ThePictureGuy

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · HS Football Week 05

Not much more to say about the shots themselves, but what sticks out to me about your post is that this is the result of, "...had the night off..." :-)

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:05 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.