New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Olympus 300/4 PRO -> black EVF and inoperative camera

anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus 300/4 PRO -> black EVF and inoperative camera

any of you all using the 300/4 PRO find the presence of intermittent "failure to fire" with a blank, black EVF? Screen is blank; trigger press produces nothing. Turning it on and off produces no difference. Only taking out battery and reinserting restores functionality. Got it from LensRentals and as per their usual extraordinarily positive service they will be sending me out another one to try. FWIW, this phenomena happens with and w/o 1.4TC. It doesn't happen with my 40-150 PRO, nor with 12-40 PRO and not with my 75/1.8. I'd appreciate any of you all who can offer their view about that's up, especially those of you who have experience with it. Oh, FWIW, the pics are just utterly incredible when handheld at slow shutter speeds. 😃😃😃😃

TIA, anthony

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:55 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus 300/4 PRO -> black EVF and inoperative camera

Can't help you directly, Anthony, as I haven't used that lens yet, but did check the m43 forum, and didn't see any mention of a similar issue.

Hopefully someone here can provide better insight than me.

Sep 23, 2016 at 03:53 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus 300/4 PRO -> black EVF and inoperative camera

Thanks, Fred, I appreciate your responding. It's helpful to know that non one of m43 is experiencing it.

Sep 23, 2016 at 04:06 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Olympus 300/4 PRO -> black EVF and inoperative camera

Might wanna give Bobbytan a private message, I know he uses it quite a bit. I expect he might have the most experience with it on this forum

Sep 23, 2016 at 04:10 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Olympus 300/4 PRO -> black EVF and inoperative camera

Wilbus wrote:
Might wanna give Bobbytan a private message, I know he uses it quite a bit. I expect he might have the most experience with it on this forum

Could be faulty or dirty contacts. I've shot literally thousands of frames with that lens and have not encountered that problem even once.

Sep 23, 2016 at 06:16 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Olympus 300/4 PRO -> black EVF and inoperative camera

thanks, Bobby. LR is overnighting me another copy. I'll check it out tomorrow. Since body and all my other lenses work as they should, I'm disinclined to do anything to the rental unit, so I'll get a chance tomorrow to see what happens with the replacement. Good to have your input, Bobby. It is quite a remarkable lens

Sep 23, 2016 at 07:15 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Olympus 300/4 PRO -> black EVF and inoperative camera

The 300 PRO is a seriously good lens. By Olympus' own admission, it is the best lens they have ever produced and it will out-resolve any current m43 sensor. The sharpness and resolution is freaking amazing. Check out the review by Robin Wong. You don't have to read the review - just let the images speak for themselves.

http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2016/01/olympus-mzuiko-300mm-f4-pro-lens-review.html

Sep 23, 2016 at 08:54 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Olympus 300/4 PRO -> black EVF and inoperative camera

exactly so, Bobby. I saw that article he wrote and the pics do indeed speak for themselves. I've never been able to afford the high-end glass from Nikon and Canon, so I can't speak to any direct comparison. I can sure as hell say that I could not beleive the IQ it can produce at slow shutter speeds while handheld. Just amazing.... saving my pennies up already

Sep 23, 2016 at 09:19 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Olympus 300/4 PRO -> black EVF and inoperative camera

I would add: to hell with all the equivalence crap... this lens is one serious picture producer... and the others I have aren't any slouches

Sep 23, 2016 at 09:21 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Olympus 300/4 PRO -> black EVF and inoperative camera

So LensRentals overnighted me a second 300 PRO. So far works perfectly. Their CS sets the standard AFAIC

Sep 24, 2016 at 08:36 PM
juststeve
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Olympus 300/4 PRO -> black EVF and inoperative camera

I am having the same trouble with the 12-40/2.8 and EM-1. I sent both in to Olympus and they completely reset it and could not get the problem to repeat. This was a year ago.

When I got it back, the problems repeated over the past year. Occasionally, the combo will start up and work properly for a few frames, but then it will malfunction again. I do not consider the camera to be the least bit reliable and do not use it anymore.

The problem repeats with my Panny 25/1.4 and 45/2.8 also and the 50-200/2.8-3.5 with adapter. Olympus is permanently on my POS list.

A possible source of the problem, in my case anyway, is I set the camera up for back button focus, using the FN-1 button. I want the camera to function the same as my Canons which I have used with thumb button focusing for years. Using the AFL-AEL button for back button focusing does not work with with my hand, in part due to old injuries.

Are you using back button focusing?

Sep 25, 2016 at 03:52 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Olympus 300/4 PRO -> black EVF and inoperative camera

No, not using back button for focus. I did a complete camera reset x2 to factory defaults; used the settings suggested by my son and Robin Wong. Formatted SanDisk Extreme Pro 90mbps card in the camera. I've shot a couple dozen shots with the lens/body and have not had any problems so far. Thanks for your input, though, because I was giving thought to using the button.

Sep 26, 2016 at 10:25 AM
-Michael

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Olympus 300/4 PRO -> black EVF and inoperative camera

anthonysemone wrote:
any of you all using the 300/4 PRO find the presence of intermittent "failure to fire" with a blank, black EVF? Screen is blank; trigger press produces nothing. Turning it on and off produces no difference. Only taking out battery and reinserting restores functionality.
TIA, anthony

I have experienced this occasionally with the E-M1 and 300/f4. I don't recall experiencing it with any other lens.

--Mike

Sep 27, 2016 at 07:09 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Olympus 300/4 PRO -> black EVF and inoperative camera

Mike, have you found a permanent fix?

Sep 27, 2016 at 07:14 AM
waterden
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Olympus 300/4 PRO -> black EVF and inoperative camera

This should now be on the Micro Four Thirds board

Sep 27, 2016 at 08:26 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Olympus 300/4 PRO -> black EVF and inoperative camera

@waterden : it is now

Sep 27, 2016 at 08:57 AM
-Michael

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Olympus 300/4 PRO -> black EVF and inoperative camera

anthonysemone wrote:
Mike, have you found a permanent fix?

No.

It seems to be very sporadic/random, so I have not found a fix. For a while I thought it might be related to one or more settings.

Sep 27, 2016 at 04:56 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Olympus 300/4 PRO -> black EVF and inoperative camera

Doing a camera reset and camera format seems to have eliminated the issue, at least for now.... since the issue doesn't show up with any of my other lenses, unlikely that it is the camera body. LensRentals will give the lens a thorough going eval when it gets back to them. I'll post up whatever they find, if anything. Thanks for you input, Mike.

Anthony

Sep 27, 2016 at 05:07 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.