New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Macro Flash

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Macro Flash

Does anyone use the MT-24EX? I found one recently in the closet. I never really used it, but am wondering if it works with modern cameras and other flashes? For example could a 580 EX II be used for the background along with the MT-24EX and achieve some controlled ratio lighting in the TTL mode of the 5D IV? Thanks.

EBH

Edited on Sep 21, 2016 at 09:32 PM · View previous versions

Sep 21, 2016 at 09:04 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Macro Flash

I can't help, but you can delete the multiple posts until someone replies ~ Ron

Sep 21, 2016 at 09:08 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Macro Flash

I'm pretty sure it will work, but you could always look at the manuals (both are available as PDFs at Canon's site if you don't have the paper copies). They'd work as Master/Slave.

Alternatively, you could get an inexpensive RF remote and trigger both with it. You could easily set flash power for each flash and forget ETTL II (which both flashes support). That's what I've done successfully several times with my 1DIV, 7D2 and 5DSR, and I assume that the newer 5DIV would support the same. But again, this is a manual flash setup and if the camera's set to Av mode, it will expose based on sync speed, so you'd want to experiment with both Av and M modes. I use both.

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:10 PM
ShutterbugJ
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Macro Flash

They'll work. I have the newer MR-14EX II, and it also has the infrared system for master/slave flash. I'm annoyed that they didn't put in the radio trigger, as it's just an MR-14EX updated with the 600EX body and controls.

Sep 22, 2016 at 02:53 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Macro Flash

Canon flash has always seemed extra difficult and that is from Nikon which is not exactly simple either.
If I understand correctly the MR-24 EX would be the master and then the 580EX II would be the slave? Does it make any sense to get a 600 series flash except to use by itself?

EBH

Sep 22, 2016 at 06:35 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Macro Flash

ShutterbugJ wrote:
They'll work. I have the newer MR-14EX II, and it also has the infrared system for master/slave flash. I'm annoyed that they didn't put in the radio trigger, as it's just an MR-14EX updated with the 600EX body and controls.

The MT-24 EX is rather old and due for an update. It has archaic, mini incandescent lights for modeling. The whole system could be smaller/lighter. Anyways, I may just keep one head on the lens ring and have the other one raised on an M4 or something and not bother with a second light much of the time.

EBH

Sep 24, 2016 at 05:27 PM
jwin
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Macro Flash

You can probably rig up two of these Fotga C-shape Hot Shoe Brackets together and hang a bunch of 270EX flash units. these brackets are like $9 on amazon. May need to machine bottom half of the mounting slot to give complete circular ring. Poor man's Nikon R1 system?

Sep 24, 2016 at 08:00 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Macro Flash

I'm using a variety of the Wimberley Shapeshifter modular components. (I have at least one of M1-4, 6, and 9. Most are over 10 years old.)
Mainly I use the system to gain height with long teles and flashes with flash extender, but I can put the M4 on the M9 and get some various angles for macro as well as simple height.
I considered the Kirk and RRS options, but they don't have the versatility, especially mounting to a full gimbal vertical channel rather than mounting on the lens foot.

EBH

Sep 24, 2016 at 09:04 PM
jmckayak
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Macro Flash

Just used the MT-24ex on a 5Dsr with no problems. I was using ETTL mode.

Sep 25, 2016 at 05:39 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Macro Flash

I've definitely used it with the 580EX II as background, although I forget with which camera (it would have been either the original 5D or the 1Ds Mk III). You can control the background ratio with the A:B:C ratio control on the flash by putting the 580EX II in group C (the heads are groups A and B, as written right on them).

EB-1 wrote:
The MT-24 EX is rather old and due for an update. It has archaic, mini incandescent lights for modeling.

Are you sure they're not LEDs? I assumed they must be since there's no way to change the bulbs or mention of it in the manual.

While I agree an update would be good (weather sealing and that ghastly battery door), looking at the 580 EX II I don't trust Canon not to make the UI even worse. It was bad enough figuring it out the first time and, frankly, life's too short.

When they updated the macro ring light, Canon could have done what Olympus did with their macro lights for the old T-series film era system: the one control unit accepted either a twin head or a ring light.

Sep 25, 2016 at 07:00 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.