Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2016 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

PeaktoPeek
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

No.

Sep 22, 2016 at 01:01 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

snapsy wrote:
Apple's implementation on the 7+ looks decent. Here are some samples from TechCrunch:

Sample #1
Sample #2
Sample #3
Sample #4

I am probably just too picky but I am not a fan of those. They look synthetic to me, and the phone has completely missed the edge of the subject on both the strawberry (over shot the edge) and the woman holding the child (under shot the edge). You can see it even at a small size and it looks bad IMHO. It looks like someone took a blur brush in Photoshop and did a careless job. For media sharing and such though I'm sure it'll be totally fine - no different than a filter or whatever I guess. Just not for me

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:56 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

high quality camera phone... isn't that an oxymoron... :-)

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:28 AM
fhammond
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

tntcorp wrote:
high quality camera phone... isn't that an oxymoron... :-)

Well, that's why I said "(...where "high quality" really means "high quality relative to older phones or point-and-shoot digital cameras".)". I certainly think it's true that a recent iPhone or Samsung phone is high quality when compared with even some recent point and shoot cameras.

Sep 22, 2016 at 01:53 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

phones have cameras now

don't even have a cell phone let alone a phone with a camera

Sep 22, 2016 at 02:29 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

CanadaMark wrote:
I am probably just too picky but I am not a fan of those. They look synthetic to me, and the phone has completely missed the edge of the subject on both the strawberry (over shot the edge) and the woman holding the child (under shot the edge). You can see it even at a small size and it looks bad IMHO. It looks like someone took a blur brush in Photoshop and did a careless job. For media sharing and such though I'm sure it'll be totally fine - no different than a filter or whatever I guess. Just
...Show more

They're not perfect for sure but also keep in mind that the edges/transitions wouldn't be that great even with a lower-cost DSLR lens at apertures wide enough to produce a similar amount of blur. I think for the average smartphone user these will serve as a more than adequate substitution vs a dedicated camera.

Sep 22, 2016 at 02:53 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

fhammond wrote:
Well, that's why I said "(...where "high quality" really means "high quality relative to older phones or point-and-shoot digital cameras".)". I certainly think it's true that a recent iPhone or Samsung phone is high quality when compared with even some recent point and shoot cameras.

They use the same sensors as P&S cameras. The Galaxy S7 for example uses a 1/2.5" sensor, either a Sony IMX260 or a Samsung S5K2L1 in house unit. They use fixed apertures and have limited or no zoom, so most P&S cameras are far more flexible with the same entry-level image quality. Obviously the huge bonus is you don't ALSO have to carry around a P&S if you have a smartphone these days. Responsiveness is better on smartphones too because of how much processing power they have compared to a P&S.

Sony makes the sensors in the iPhone 7/7+ too. The sensor in the telephoto camera on the 7+ (1/3.6") is smaller than the main camera sensor. The main/wide camera is a 1/3" sensor, same as the 7. If they run into sensor supply problems they will most likely switch to LG.

The biggest problem by far is dealing with the physics of these extremely tiny sensors. Most companies are already applying NR by ISO 160 or lower. A full frame camera sensor is approximately 35 times bigger (area) than a 1/2.5" sensor and 55 times larger than Apple's main 1/3" sensors. The 1/3.6 sensor in the iPhone 7+ telephoto is even smaller yet.

Sep 22, 2016 at 02:58 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

snapsy wrote:
They're not perfect for sure but also keep in mind that the edges/transitions wouldn't be that great even with a lower-cost DSLR lens at apertures wide enough to produce a similar amount of blur. I think for the average smartphone user these will serve as a more than adequate substitution vs a dedicated camera.

A crop senor DSLR & lens producing similar blur isn't going to be amazing, I agree, but isn't going to have an obvious/harsh line of deep DOF immediately surrounding the subject, and then abruptly transitioning into blur (like the woman holding the baby). It's so poorly done you can even see it in the small versions of the photos. It also wouldn't blur the edges to the point where part of the subject was actually removed (like the strawberry).

The actual blur/bokeh effect isn't that bad - it looks fake, but passable. It's the subject identification that seems to be quite bad, so maybe they can improve that. These tiny sensors with so much DOF I don't know how they can accurately pick out the subject every time, because whatever they are doing currently isn't working.

I realize it's not going to be a perfect replacement, and probably 99% of the photos with this filter will be used on Facebook, Instagram or other social media anyway to be viewed on a 4-5" screen haha. I'm sure I'm far pickier than most

Sep 22, 2016 at 03:09 PM
ReyGay
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

How about a dslr with a built in cellphone? The cellphone unit is interchangeable or hot swappable and with a bluetooth earphone/mouthpeice.

Sep 24, 2016 at 03:22 PM
chip_master
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

I am surprised nobody asked the question that came into my mind, with a lens lineup like that what made you come to the dark side. To start building another lens collection with gold labels will cost a might bit of $ and for that you could pick up the latest / greatest Canon bodies and IMHO would be very hard pressed to see any "real" difference between your Canon rig and your budding Nikon one. Seems crazy why did you switch?

Now as to your question, yes and no. Many years ago I'd buy a new P&S every year or more often as they kept getting better and better and you do want to capture those random kodak moments of life.

Later when I got my D40 and than moved to D300, D700, D3s, D4, D5 there was big improvement over anything else out there. For sports/action and all the other stuff that phone can't compare nor have any influence on my purchase, after all I own a D5/D810 that says enough. NO iphone / galaxy or other brand changes my "DSLR" purchase.

But... since the adoption of the iPhone4s by my family we haven't found any use for any of the latest greatest pocketable P/S, nor have I even played or considered buying one. My kids and SO used to consider taking a P/S or current DSLR, but that hasn't happened for years, whats the point? The DSLR is big/heavy and the phone is good enough for them. That purchase and consideration died many years ago as every P&S camera manufacture has discovered, !

Your question is like asking the off road crowds / working construction man if the advent of all wheel drive on everything has changed their purchase habits for their big/high-end Suburban / Ford F150+ like 4x4. You are getting the expected response from the extreme diehards

I don't necessarily agree with those posting here that for most of life's moments the DSLR is better, no question the quality of the picture is better but for why you take the picture for the "photographer" the larger population already has made their decision and convenience and good enough has won. With Apple and the many other's continued marketing around photography capability versuse the Canikon and others pathetic response that battle is lost. Canikon and the others are going the way of HighFi of 25 years ago.

As to # of pictures taken, DSLR likely for me personally I have more frames taken. As to how many are shown, shared and cherished the iPhone album wins hands down.

Sep 24, 2016 at 05:38 PM
davidrwilliams
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

No. Emphatically.

Sep 24, 2016 at 05:39 PM
Surfnsun
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

I enjoy the process of using my DSLR. It's a hobby that I enjoy & there's no way my Note 7 could fill that role.

Sep 24, 2016 at 08:31 PM
ceblaum
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

You "mainly shoot sports", and the 70-200 is great for that. Have you considered something like a coolpix a? Just as small as your phone but much more flexible results. Can be had for much less than one of those gold boxes.....

Sep 24, 2016 at 08:53 PM
fhammond
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

I was looking for another post I made and instead came back to this one. I still take photos regularly with my iPhone but I'm thinking about getting something between that and the DSLR; maybe a Sony A6500 since high quality video would be nice.

So if your DSLR is a Porsche 911, what's your daily driver? Some 911 owners use it to go grocery shopping but lots have a Golf. What's your photographic Golf?

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:10 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

phones do not affect my camera gear. I barely ever use the camera on that thing - maybe in a store to shoot the latest oatmeal brand box to ask at home if that's ok to buy. I do not take "photographs" with a phone.

I shoot landscape and motorsports. Neither something a phone camera sensor is useful for. Maybe in 10 years.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:21 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

pburke wrote:
phones do not affect my camera gear. I barely ever use the camera on that thing - maybe in a store to shoot the latest oatmeal brand box to ask at home if that's ok to buy. I do not take "photographs" with a phone.

I shoot landscape and motorsports. Neither something a phone camera sensor is useful for. Maybe in 10 years.

Have to laugh since I use my phone camera for the same purposes. Comes in handy for those reasons. I tried the RAW process with my iPhone 7 plus shooting a landscape and they still have a ways to go. They do okay for web stuff, but I wouldn't make a big print from one.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:37 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

My point and shoot is the Sony RX100 MKV. My iPhone 6s is used for documentation and will not often/always (? Help) eMail full size files out of the iPhone.

I don't long for an eMail link from my camera's since I shoot RAW with them all and spend time on my desk top in ACR/PS where I can mail out any size files.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:45 PM
Max Power
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

pburke wrote:

I have three levels of image recording gear.

The 810 and gold boxes for when image quality and conditions demand it. I have a Coolpix A that I am replacing a Sony RX100-IV with as a high quality P&S when the 810 isn't practical, and I have an iPhone 6, so I can take a picture of my parking spot at the airport to remember where I parked when I get home 3 days later. The images out of the phone aren't worth much more than documentation.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:49 PM
bozziovai
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

i use my fone to take photos of airline tickets, passports, important receipts... documentation basically ...

Apr 15, 2017 at 01:30 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Has a high quality camera phone affected what gear you buy?

No.

Apr 15, 2017 at 06:57 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.