New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · HP stops allowing third-party inks

phil hawkins
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HP stops allowing third-party inks

http://www.zdnet.com/article/hp-just-made-it-impossible-to-use-third-party-ink-in-its-printers/?ftag=TRE17cfd61&bhid=21754083403698514186687729370601

Sep 21, 2016 at 02:29 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HP stops allowing third-party inks

Do you blame them? They basically give away the printers with the notion they will make money off the inks.

I'd rather have it this way, cheap printers and reasonable ink than having to pay big money for the printers and use any ink you choose.

Sep 21, 2016 at 03:00 PM
anselwannab
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HP stops allowing third-party inks

But that isn't the printer I bought. They changed the product with a firmware update and in effect took something from me. My guess is, if the HP lobbyists aren't lining people's pockets, that there will consumer rights investigations into this.

Get an oil change at a dealer and with out telling you they change the drain plug to one that they only have the tool to remove so you have to go there to get your oil changed?

Or flash the computer so that you have to use 93 instead of 89 gas...

You cameras next firmware update makes it so that you have to use their new processing software.

I can understand if they sell the printer that way. Doing it by firmware is in effect a taking.

Sep 21, 2016 at 03:15 PM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HP stops allowing third-party inks

It's a taking if the manual welcomes use of 3rd party inks or at a minimum makes no statements about using genuine HP inks. If they tell you not to use 3rd party inks, or state that the printer may not work properly with third party inks, and you use it anyway I don't think it's a taking. It just means their initial safeguards against it (the warnings) were insufficient.

Sep 21, 2016 at 03:56 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HP stops allowing third-party inks

anselwannab wrote:
But that isn't the printer I bought. They changed the product with a firmware update and in effect took something from me. My guess is, if the HP lobbyists aren't lining people's pockets, that there will consumer rights investigations into this.

Get an oil change at a dealer and with out telling you they change the drain plug to one that they only have the tool to remove so you have to go there to get your oil changed?

Or flash the computer so that you have to use 93 instead of 89 gas...

You cameras next firmware update makes it so that
...Show more

No one would be forcing you to upgrade your printer's firmware.

Sep 21, 2016 at 09:01 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HP stops allowing third-party inks

The new printers will have no options. I suspect there will be workarounds soon.

EBH

Sep 21, 2016 at 09:22 PM
anselwannab
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HP stops allowing third-party inks

chez wrote:
No one would be forcing you to upgrade your printer's firmware.

The article is a little confusing. It says:

"So, for now, if you want to keep using your HP OfficeJet printer, you're going to need to keep buying official HP ink."

But that may only be if you have the march update. Can you reflash your printer if you want a previous version of the firmware?

Sep 21, 2016 at 09:40 PM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HP stops allowing third-party inks

Note that the HP statement says "The purpose of this update is to protect HP's innovations and intellectual property." If the third party ink cartridges are manufactured in violation of a patent held by HP they are actually being manufactured and/or sold illegally in the countries where HP has valid patents. This happens so frequently with ink cartridges from China and elsewhere that the cost of enforcing a patent through the courts can be prohibitive. If that's the case here HP is only protecting what is already exclusively theirs under the law.

Sep 22, 2016 at 01:35 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HP stops allowing third-party inks

How might one have known back in March not to install a printer firmware update? I don't know about hp's printer updates, but man updater docs don't document every change the updater makes (and some provide no details at all).

The ZD article implies that if one were able to figure out how to refill an original hp cartridge, then that cartridge would continue to work. I've seen similar shenanigans with some Epson cartridges also.

One thing I find interesting is that I've seen current model hp and Epson printers on sale at Staples for as low as $30, which I suspect is lower than the replacement cartridge costs. Really sad to be making such environmentally unfriendly disposable printers.

Sep 22, 2016 at 01:43 PM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HP stops allowing third-party inks

Something like 5 years ago we got a Brother laser printer at Staples for $50 if memory serves me correctly. That's less than a new toner cartridge costs. The printer came with a "starter" toner cartridge that's good for about 700 pages while a "normal" replacement toner cartridge is good for more than twice as many. When the starter cartridge ran out we replaced it with an extra capacity cartridge (they're all the same, just filled more or less) good for about 2600 pages. It hurt to spend more on a toner cartridge than on the whole printer, but buying a new printer every 700 pages is ridiculous. The printer still works perfectly and we are still using the 2600 page cartridge so in all it was a great deal.

As was already mentioned, most printer companies sell their printers at little to no profit and make their money selling the consumables. That's why they put so much effort (and money) into protecting against the use of third party inks. The OEM has the expense of designing, manufacturing, and marketing the printers and protecting their consumables market while the third parties only have to steal an ink cartridge design and sell it. Third party cartridges can obviously sell for much less because they have none of the OEM's costs.

Sep 22, 2016 at 02:43 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HP stops allowing third-party inks

Abbott Schindl wrote:
One thing I find interesting is that I've seen current model hp and Epson printers on sale at Staples for as low as $30, which I suspect is lower than the replacement cartridge costs. Really sad to be making such environmentally unfriendly disposable printers.

Epson does not throw away a fully functional printer...that is the consumer. Don't put the blame onto Epson here.

Sep 23, 2016 at 07:03 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · HP stops allowing third-party inks

chez wrote:
Epson does not throw away a fully functional printer...that is the consumer. Don't put the blame onto Epson here.

I'd say the fault lies with both, as the customer - vendor relationship is completely broken when a loss-leading business model is allowed to drift to the point where replacing the device is cheaper than buying consumables. Neither side (nor the authorities frankly) should have allowed this grotesque distortion to have occurred.

Sep 23, 2016 at 02:11 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · HP stops allowing third-party inks

15Bit wrote:
I'd say the fault lies with both, as the customer - vendor relationship is completely broken when a loss-leading business model is allowed to drift to the point where replacing the device is cheaper than buying consumables. Neither side (nor the authorities frankly) should have allowed this grotesque distortion to have occurred.

Happens with just about any consumer item these days. Everything is a throw away rather than fix including the likes of TV's, Microwaves, Computers etc...

Personally I think it's a great deal to get a printer for say $50 for the person that only prints once in a while. That system can last for years without needing new ink.

I have an HP laserjet that last me at least 3 years between needing a new cartridge. I would not have bought that printer if it was priced at $500...but at $80, I got it and make use of it a few times a month.

Sep 23, 2016 at 03:39 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · HP stops allowing third-party inks

chez wrote:

I wasn't putting the blame on the manufacturer. My point was that both companies (and maybe others) sell printers that cost less to replace than the cost of new ink cartridges. I don't know a lot of people who would spring for $60 for new ink when they could get a new printer for $30. (I personally have pro-level printers that are well worth the cost of fresh OEM ink).

Sep 23, 2016 at 09:42 PM
bleffir93

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · HP stops allowing third-party inks

Probably for HP it became a problem.

Sep 25, 2016 at 06:39 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.