Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Mirrorless with the best interface, help me enjoy photography again

Fred Amico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Mirrorless with the best interface, help me enjoy photography again

walts.photo wrote:
In order of increasing confusion, with Canon being the clearest and easiest menu system to use: (I shoot Nikon and Sony)

1. Canon
2. Nikon
6. Fuji
10. Sony

Your reply reminded me that I used a NEX-5N for awhile, and would agree that its menu would also be in last place on my rating scale.

Oct 02, 2016 at 02:38 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Mirrorless with the best interface, help me enjoy photography again

I have used many systems over a long time and I actually find the A7 seris cameras to be about the best for me in terms of control.

I very rarely need to go into the menus proper with my A7s and when I do, it is simple enough though there is a LOT of stuff in the menu.

My Old Nikon D50 has a fraction of the menu items of the A7s but is still harder to work through. My GX7 is also not as good (for me) with the menu though having a touch screen and touch focus and more I don't have to go into the actual menu that much with it either.

I rate them (for menus)
1) Sony FF mirrorless
2) Panasonic M4/3 mirrorless
3) Olympus M4/3 mirrorless
4) Canon/Nikon/Pentax DSLRs generally
7) Pentax Q digital (no viewfinder otherwise might be higher in terms of menus)
8) anything else I have used including many film ILCs.

Each individual camera is different and they are all easy enough though so how a camera feels in hand is also important and will also differ from user to user.

With the A7s, I can change probably more than just about anything without going into the menus. It is also a very fun camera to use and especially in low light. It can not track focus for stills to save its life but single AF is fast with native lenses and works to really low light levels (my GX7 and A7s both are listed as EV -4 AF but in practice, given a similar lens the A7s will still focus long after the GX7 has given up).

I would suggest that people should always try things for themselves first if possible.

The most "fun" cameras for me have been
A) A7s
B) GX7 and A7 (now sold)
C) Pentax Q
D) Pentax IST*D (probably because it was my first DSLR and that was a massive change from SLRs).

Oct 03, 2016 at 12:05 AM
Morgo

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Mirrorless with the best interface, help me enjoy photography again

Fuji for sure. You can just pick one up like the X-T2 or X-Pr02 and shoot straight away with out the need to go into the menu's.

The classic style and old school interface makes them so simple and fun to use.

Nov 05, 2016 at 10:50 PM
Trek_of_Joy
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Mirrorless with the best interface, help me enjoy photography again

walts.photo wrote:
I was going to say Fuji XT-1 because of it's top dials but remember how much the electronic menu system sucked.

The menus on the Xt2/Pro2 have been revised, very intuitive - unlike Sony. Most of the major functions are in the button activated Q menu. Plus there's a "My Menu" option where you can put your most used menu items in one place. The big review sites give a rundown.

To the OP, I've owned Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Fuji. Just rented the XT2 and it was a really great experience, so good I'm liquidating my Sony gear. Its just so much more user friendly, menu items are grouped in logical places, lots of controls, dual cards, much faster to shoot/write and the EVF is just fantastic - best I've ever used. If you want a touchscreen and are mainly a stills shooter, Olympus is the way to go. If you shoot a lot of video, Panasonic is worth a look. Though the XT2 excels at both.

If you can, rent, its worth it. Good luck.

Nov 06, 2016 at 07:50 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.