Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Difference between Leica R & M?

Sjredo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Difference between Leica R & M?

Hi! I'm having a hard time looking for a portrait lens within the 90 - 110 range and I began looking at some Leica lenses.
However, I noticed that there are M & R versions... what's the difference?

I have a Sony A7II.

Does anyone have an A7+90 Leica? Do they go well together?

Thanks!

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:24 AM
Sjredo
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Difference between Leica R & M?

Would the Voigtlander VM-E adapter work with Leica R lenses?

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:36 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Difference between Leica R & M?

So far as the Summicron 90's go (both the e55 pre-A and APO ASPH versions) the R and M share the same optics. The body style of the M is more compact but longer since it takes a shorter adapter. The pre-A is more affordable and a better portrait lens. The AA is expensive and performs best as a landscape lens. Either work very well on the a7* series with very little loss in quality over using them on a native mount camera.

The VM-E adapter will work with the R lenses if you put an R-to-M adapter between them, but a straight R-to-E adapter will likely feel more solid.

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:44 AM
Sjredo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Difference between Leica R & M?

is the APO version of the 90M bigger than the non apo? I couldn't find any Images of how it'd look on an A7 styled camera.

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:56 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Difference between Leica R & M?

I believe the non-APO is slightly bigger/heavier, depending on the version you get.

Sjredo wrote:
Does anyone have an A7+90 Leica? Do they go well together?

Thanks!

Which Leica 90? Haha... there are a lot of them, which certainly adds to the confusion. I recently tried my 90/2 APO ASPH (90AA) on the a7RII and it performed very, very well for landscapes. The new Sony 85/1.4 GM was perhaps a tad sharper and higher contrast, but it's splitting hairs. I find the 90AA also good for portraits, but you're definitely paying a lot for it. From images I've seen, the pre-ASPH version is less brutally sharp with a somewhat different overall rendering that is great for portraits. But it's not as strong as an all-round technical lens. A lot of people also like the 90/2.8 Elmarit. There are a lot of versions of this lens, so you'll have to spend a lot of time researching the differences (I can never keep those details straight). Alternatively, the 90/2.5 Summarit is very good, too. A bit more modern than the old 90/2 and perhaps most of the 90/2.8 variants, in respect to sharpness/rendering. It's a pretty good deal now (for a Leica) on the used market. The current 90/2.4 version is essentially a cosmetic refresh that increased the price about $500, therefore I would suggest the original version instead.

Edited on Sep 20, 2016 at 12:06 PM · View previous versions

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:05 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Difference between Leica R & M?

Nope, they're roughly the same size. I think there might be a few grams difference in weight, but nothing you'd notice.

Here's forum member Phillip Reeve's take on the pre-APO with a photo of the lens mounted. It's an excellent overview of the lens, too, in his typical fashion...

http://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-leica-90mm-2-0-summicron-m/

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:05 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Difference between Leica R & M?

You can find some specs here:

M lens wiki: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/M_Lenses_x_Focal_Length
R lens wiki: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/R_Lenses_x_Focal_Length

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:08 PM
igmolinav
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Difference between Leica R & M?

Hi,

I have a Leica (M) 90 mm. f/4 Elmar lens.
It is good for portraiture. If you find one,
it shouldn't be expensive.

Kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:59 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.