FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       11              82       83       end

Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

philber
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Thank you so much, Juha!! Very nice shots, and they show the lens' performance, as well. What is your experience/opinion?

Aug 13, 2017 at 05:35 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

philber wrote:
Thank you so much, Juha!! Very nice shots, and they show the lens' performance, as well. What is your experience/opinion?

Thanks very much! I like the lens and its IQ very much, it also balances on the camera pretty well, doesn't feel too heavy or front-heavy. The focus throw is very long from 1m to the MFD, but not so long from inifinity to 1m. The lens extends quite much when used at MFD or near it. I find the plane of focus to be quite narrow even at long distances so need to focus pretty carefully, focus peaking alone might not be accurate enough for best results so I'm using magnification + focus peaking quite much. I haven't noticed any distortion or field curvature and I haven't noticed much vignetting either.

As is the case with some Loxia lenses, most of the lens surface rotates and it may be a bit hard to twist the lens to take it off. I use the included hood (not sure if the hood is really necessary for shooting as the lens is so recessed), and actually the hood area is the best area to grab when taking the lens off. The lens cap can be used directly on top of the hood, or if the hood is not used, directly on top of the lens.

I think the lens is working very nicely for many purposes, including close-ups, portraits and long distance. Flare resistance looks very good too so it should work nicely for low light city shooting too. I didn't see very pronounced sunstars on my limited low (city) light shooting so far, need to test that more.

Overall I'm very pleased with the lens, looking forward to using it a lot.

Aug 13, 2017 at 06:07 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Thank you for sharing your experience, Juha. I think many here would be interested in the ability to suppress chromatic aberrations of this lens. This could be the "mini" Otus, smaller, a tad slower, and more importantly, cheaper.

Aug 13, 2017 at 09:29 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Thanks, Juha!!

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:11 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Thank you for the excellent samples, Juha! Those are much better than anything else I've seen posted. The results look impressive. Nice clear, colorful, sharp pictures with very little aberrations. They look Otis'h to me!

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:39 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Juha Kannisto wrote:
Here are some samples taken by me today with an A9 + CV 65/2 at Tokyo Midtown. They were all converted from Raw to JPEG in C1 Pro 10.1 with default settings, no other modifications applied. All shots at F2 or F4.

https://plus.google.com/+JuhaKannisto/posts/YJMF1AEeKfW

Thanks for sharing Juha. I'm starting to believe the "best lens we've ever made" hype from Cosina.

Aug 13, 2017 at 01:20 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Juha Kannisto wrote:
Thanks very much! I like the lens and its IQ very much, it also balances on the camera pretty well, doesn't feel too heavy or front-heavy. The focus throw is very long from 1m to the MFD, but not so long from inifinity to 1m. The lens extends quite much when used at MFD or near it. I find the plane of focus to be quite narrow even at long distances so need to focus pretty carefully, focus peaking alone might not be accurate enough for best results so I'm using magnification + focus peaking quite much. I haven't
...Show more

Thanks for sharing all those nice images. Try as I may, I can't find any flaws in the lens.

I'm starting to want this lens.

Aug 13, 2017 at 05:18 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Have you guys checked out DPreview sample shots? I do think this lens is on the Otus level. I admit that this lens is growing on me. Would be an instant buy if it can go to 1:1, but at 1:2, I need a bit more convincing.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/voigtlander/lenses/voigtlander_65_2_macro

Aug 14, 2017 at 09:28 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

If it is as good as you think, you can use an extension tube to get to 1:1, and it is no biggie. That is what I do with my Otus. Also, look at Juha's shots, which tell me more than DPR's. Huff also reviewed the lens and suggested that detail was't as good as that of others (Leica Summicron 50 APO). Overal, it does not need to be on the Otus level to be both promising and welcome. It deserves a broader customer base

Aug 14, 2017 at 10:45 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

I ordered one. I am going to check it out and see how I like it. I have 50mm prime and 75 and 85 currently. I now use my 75 less than before due to having an autofocus 85 so am thinking 65 might be a nice focal length in between my 50 and 85 primes and that is can do macro is a nice bonus. For my wants, it will have to be good at infinity. Seems like this is more of a general purpose apo lens with 1:2 macro capabilities thrown in for good measure. I am curious and had money burning a hole in my paypal account so I decided to try it. I really with Voigtlander would publish MTF graphs. It would make decisions like this so much easier!

Aug 14, 2017 at 11:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

philber
• • • • • •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Congratulations, Luvwine! I think it is a wise decision. I am thinking along the same lines, even though I have a 55 and a 85 AF Lens, and tubes to get close.

Aug 14, 2017 at 11:53 AM
bluloo
• • • •
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Looks very tempting, and I really like the Nokton 35 F1.2 V2, so I have one inbound as well.

Aug 14, 2017 at 12:56 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

I am a little exited for my review copy

Aug 14, 2017 at 01:35 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

philber wrote:
If it is as good as you think, you can use an extension tube to get to 1:1, and it is no biggie. That is what I do with my Otus. Also, look at Juha's shots, which tell me more than DPR's. Huff also reviewed the lens and suggested that detail was't as good as that of others (Leica Summicron 50 APO). Overal, it does not need to be on the Otus level to be both promising and welcome. It deserves a broader customer base

Mainly, I'm in need of a macro lens right now. I am shooting a lot of product macros lately so 1:2 is fine, but occasionally, I do need 1:1. My previous macro set-up, I needed to use macro extension as well, but it was inconvenient for my work flow, so I shot at 1:2 and cropped.

As for this particular lens, I agreed with some others here that this lens needs to be spectacular given the fierce competition in the Sony line-up. DPreview samples showed me more of how this lens would behave under high contrast condition: minimal aberrations both IF and OOF areas. I don't trust Huff, but even if it has less resolution than the 50 APO, I still prefer Voigtlander's bokeh. I shot with the 50 APO extensively for a year and busy bokeh and bokeh fringing are the two things I don't really love about it. That lens has phenomenal resolution though, a little less is no biggie :P

Aug 14, 2017 at 02:12 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

philber wrote:
Congratulations, Luvwine! I think it is a wise decision. I am thinking along the same lines, even though I have a 55 and a 85 AF Lens, and tubes to get close.

I recently got a set of Kenko tubes and Canon close up lenses and plan on trying out the Loxia 85 and 50 and see how they do up close compared to the new CV and my Canon 100 STF.

Aug 14, 2017 at 02:38 PM
navmannz
• • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Luvwine wrote:
I recently got a set of Kenko tubes and Canon close up lenses and plan on trying out the Loxia 85 and 50 and see how they do up close compared to the new CV and my Canon 100 STF.

How are you finding the Kenko tubes, Luwine? I've used Nikon No. 3T and 4T close up lenses on my Loxia 85, and at 0.5x with the No. 4T its probably ahead of the Olympus 80 bellows I've relied on for a long time for macro - particularly in micro-contrast.

I looked at extension tube options, though, and none seem to get a good write-up? I wish Sony would make some with a build quality like my old Canon FD set.

-John

Aug 14, 2017 at 02:53 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

navmannz wrote:
How are you finding the Kenko tubes, Luwine? I've used Nikon No. 3T and 4T close up lenses on my Loxia 85, and at 0.5x with the No. 4T its probably ahead of the Olympus 80 bellows I've relied on for a long time for macro - particularly in micro-contrast.

I looked at extension tube options, though, and none seem to get a good write-up? I wish Sony would make some with a build quality like my old Canon FD set.

-John

I have only gotten them quite recently and they work okay, but seem a bit flimsy to me in construction. I agree that native mount options would be preferable assuming build quality in line with lens construction.

Aug 14, 2017 at 03:13 PM
bluloo
• • • •
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Luvwine wrote:
I have only gotten them quite recently and they work okay, but seem a bit flimsy to me in construction. I agree that native mount options would be preferable assuming build quality in line with lens construction.

When I was shopping for tubes, the largest difference seemed to be the price.

The Vello's seem to be highly recommended, by lots of reviewers, and they're most definitely second-class citizens compared to the Canon-branded EF set I have.

Aug 14, 2017 at 03:40 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

I have 2 tubes for my Nikon-mount Otus. For obvious reasons I wanted high quality products. My dealer sells Kenko, but they "wobble" a bit, so I chose Nikon, despite the cost. The CV would be easier to use and give me EXIF.

Aug 14, 2017 at 03:53 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Ho-hum another very expensive MF 3rd party lens in a strange FL. I have the inexpensive 40mm F2.0 pancake in a Nikon mount which adapts for dandy use on a Canon or Sony body-about $400.

Aug 14, 2017 at 04:59 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.