FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              56      
       end

Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Driftwood

Upload & Sell: Off
p.57 #1 · p.57 #1 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Beni wrote:
I was recommended this lens on a different thread. Can I ask a few questions please?

The use of the lens will be for reproduction photography only. Digitizing ancient documents and manuscripts. Bolted 24/7 onto an A7rIII on a copy stand and specifically used with the new multishot capability of that camera. Our country does not have a reliable Voigtlander dealer (all they have is a FB page and they want $1400 for the lens ) so in all probability we would be ordering the lens untested from the US.

1) Our working aperture on the systems is f8. A DOF requirement.
...Show more

Hi Beni,

I received my copy a few days ago. I don't have a whole lot of experience with it, but as I had done extensive research on this lens purchase, perhaps I can answer a few questions for you. I was in a similar situation as you, where I had to purchase the lens untested and where returning it would be a pain.

1) I cannot compare the CV 65/2 with the Sony 55/1.8 as I ended up choosing the CV over it, but here's a sample photo at f/8, taken from the sample photo gallery at
PhotographyBlog.com:

Photo by Mark Goldstein, 2017
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/voigtlander_65mm_f2_macro_apo_lanthar_review/sample_images/

Zoomed in to 100%, you will see edge to edge sharpness (please click on the photo to go to original page where you can zoom in). You can easily find a sample photo at f/8 for the Sony 55/1.8.

Also check out this Flickr Gallery of shots taken with the CV 65/2.

2) I did read this entire thread before making my purchase, and from what I remember, copy to copy variation is exceptionally low. You need to turn the focus ring a little bit back from infinity to get sharp landscape shots, which I think isn't what you're looking to do, but another member did report the same thing.

Sorry I can't help you with 3, 4, and 5. I can perhaps help you with 4 if I understood how to test for shifting/slipping focus, but I don't have experience with testing for that.

Additionally, will you be relying on AF if you had the Sony 55/1.8 or would you still prefer to use MF? Another difference between the two would be that the Sony is focus by wire. The focus ring on the CV is superb.

Nov 18, 2017 at 09:06 AM
Beni
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.57 #2 · p.57 #2 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Driftwood wrote:
Hi Beni,

I received my copy a few days ago. I don't have a whole lot of experience with it, but as I had done extensive research on this lens purchase, perhaps I can answer a few questions for you. I was in a similar situation as you, where I had to purchase the lens untested and where returning it would be a pain.

1) I cannot compare the CV 65/2 with the Sony 55/1.8 as I ended up choosing the CV over it, but here's a sample photo at f/8, taken from the sample photo gallery at
PhotographyBlog.com: http://img.photographyblog.com/reviews/voigtlander_65mm_f2_macro_apo_lanthar/sample_images/voigtlander_65mm_f2_macro_apo_lanthar_05.jpg Photo
Flickr Gallery of shots taken with the CV 65/2.

2]http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/voigtlander_65mm_f2_macro_apo_lanthar_review/sample_images/

Zoomed in to 100%, you will see edge to edge sharpness (please click on the photo to go to original page where you can zoom in). You can easily find a sample photo at f/8 for the Sony 55/1.8.

Also check out this Flickr Gallery of shots taken with the CV 65/2.

2[/url]) I did read this entire thread before making my purchase, and from what I remember, copy to copy variation is exceptionally low. You need to turn the focus ring a little bit back from infinity to get sharp landscape shots, which I think isn't what you're looking to do, but another member did report the same thing.

Sorry I can't help you with 3, 4, and 5. I can perhaps help you with 4 if I understood how to test for shifting/slipping focus, but I don't have experience with testing for that.

Additionally, will you be relying on AF if you had the Sony 55/1.8 or would you still prefer to use MF? Another difference between the two would be that the Sony is focus by wire. The focus ring on the CV is superb.
...Show more

Hi,

Thank you for your reply!

We are not interested in the 55mm at all, the macro capabilities are essential for our work. We are wondering whether the sample image on DPReview (their test studio setup) taken with the 55mm lens (at f5.6) is representative of what we will see with the 65mm stopped down the same amount or whether the results will be better. I have to sell the idea of multishot to the bean counters and I will be using that image to do so. I need to know what to tell them. If I can say 'and the results will be even better than this!' that will help my argument. Only if it is true though.

I realise the correct solution is to wait and test the camera/lens combination but the first cameras will only reach the country at the end of December and it will be months until there are rental bodies available. The lens will be impossible to trial here at all. The importer is a one man band and wouldn't begin to consider the suggestion. I spent a while on the phone last week checking this stuff up.

Nov 18, 2017 at 04:01 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password