FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              56      
       end

Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Driftwood

Upload & Sell: Off
p.57 #1 · p.57 #1 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Beni wrote:
I was recommended this lens on a different thread. Can I ask a few questions please?

The use of the lens will be for reproduction photography only. Digitizing ancient documents and manuscripts. Bolted 24/7 onto an A7rIII on a copy stand and specifically used with the new multishot capability of that camera. Our country does not have a reliable Voigtlander dealer (all they have is a FB page and they want $1400 for the lens ) so in all probability we would be ordering the lens untested from the US.

1) Our working aperture on the systems is f8. A DOF requirement.
...Show more

Hi Beni,

I received my copy a few days ago. I don't have a whole lot of experience with it, but as I had done extensive research on this lens purchase, perhaps I can answer a few questions for you. I was in a similar situation as you, where I had to purchase the lens untested and where returning it would be a pain.

1) I cannot compare the CV 65/2 with the Sony 55/1.8 as I ended up choosing the CV over it, but here's a sample photo at f/8, taken from the sample photo gallery at
PhotographyBlog.com:

Photo by Mark Goldstein, 2017
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/voigtlander_65mm_f2_macro_apo_lanthar_review/sample_images/

Zoomed in to 100%, you will see edge to edge sharpness (please click on the photo to go to original page where you can zoom in). You can easily find a sample photo at f/8 for the Sony 55/1.8.

Also check out this Flickr Gallery of shots taken with the CV 65/2.

2) I did read this entire thread before making my purchase, and from what I remember, copy to copy variation is exceptionally low. You need to turn the focus ring a little bit back from infinity to get sharp landscape shots, which I think isn't what you're looking to do, but another member did report the same thing.

Sorry I can't help you with 3, 4, and 5. I can perhaps help you with 4 if I understood how to test for shifting/slipping focus, but I don't have experience with testing for that.

Additionally, will you be relying on AF if you had the Sony 55/1.8 or would you still prefer to use MF? Another difference between the two would be that the Sony is focus by wire. The focus ring on the CV is superb.

Nov 18, 2017 at 09:06 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.57 #2 · p.57 #2 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Driftwood wrote:
Hi Beni,

I received my copy a few days ago. I don't have a whole lot of experience with it, but as I had done extensive research on this lens purchase, perhaps I can answer a few questions for you. I was in a similar situation as you, where I had to purchase the lens untested and where returning it would be a pain.

1) I cannot compare the CV 65/2 with the Sony 55/1.8 as I ended up choosing the CV over it, but here's a sample photo at f/8, taken from the sample photo gallery at
PhotographyBlog.com: http://img.photographyblog.com/reviews/voigtlander_65mm_f2_macro_apo_lanthar/sample_images/voigtlander_65mm_f2_macro_apo_lanthar_05.jpg Photo
Flickr Gallery of shots taken with the CV 65/2.

2]http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/voigtlander_65mm_f2_macro_apo_lanthar_review/sample_images/

Zoomed in to 100%, you will see edge to edge sharpness (please click on the photo to go to original page where you can zoom in). You can easily find a sample photo at f/8 for the Sony 55/1.8.

Also check out this Flickr Gallery of shots taken with the CV 65/2.

2[/url]) I did read this entire thread before making my purchase, and from what I remember, copy to copy variation is exceptionally low. You need to turn the focus ring a little bit back from infinity to get sharp landscape shots, which I think isn't what you're looking to do, but another member did report the same thing.

Sorry I can't help you with 3, 4, and 5. I can perhaps help you with 4 if I understood how to test for shifting/slipping focus, but I don't have experience with testing for that.

Additionally, will you be relying on AF if you had the Sony 55/1.8 or would you still prefer to use MF? Another difference between the two would be that the Sony is focus by wire. The focus ring on the CV is superb.
...Show more

Hi,

Thank you for your reply!

We are not interested in the 55mm at all, the macro capabilities are essential for our work. We are wondering whether the sample image on DPReview (their test studio setup) taken with the 55mm lens (at f5.6) is representative of what we will see with the 65mm stopped down the same amount or whether the results will be better. I have to sell the idea of multishot to the bean counters and I will be using that image to do so. I need to know what to tell them. If I can say 'and the results will be even better than this!' that will help my argument. Only if it is true though.

I realise the correct solution is to wait and test the camera/lens combination but the first cameras will only reach the country at the end of December and it will be months until there are rental bodies available. The lens will be impossible to trial here at all. The importer is a one man band and wouldn't begin to consider the suggestion. I spent a while on the phone last week checking this stuff up.

Nov 18, 2017 at 04:01 PM
kotmj

p.57 #3 · p.57 #3 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

I wonder why 65mm and not 45-55mm. I imagine the latent demand for an apo close focussing 50mm must exceed the same in 65mm by about 100X. It's the only thing stopping me. That and the 600g. And the E mount, which unlike Nikon or Canon mounts can't be adapted to other systems.

Nov 20, 2017 at 03:04 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.57 #4 · p.57 #4 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

kotmj wrote:
I wonder why 65mm and not 45-55mm. I imagine the latent demand for an apo close focussing 50mm must exceed the same in 65mm by about 100X. It's the only thing stopping me. That and the 600g. And the E mount, which unlike Nikon or Canon mounts can't be adapted to other systems.

Well I would presume one of the reasons it is 65 instead of 45-55 is that it is considerably easier to make a longer lens APO than a shorter lens APO. I think there are only two lenses between 45-55 that are APO and one (the Otus 55) costs $4,000, and one (the Leica M 50 f/2 APO) costs $7,000. Even a 65 f/2 APO lens at a $1,000 price point is pretty remarkable, but one at even a shorter focal length and anything close to that in price would be pretty astounding.

Nov 20, 2017 at 03:22 AM
kotmj

p.57 #5 · p.57 #5 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

I've been going around since yesterday shooting the Voigtlaender Ultron 40/2 (which is more like a 42mm) on my A6300 to see if the 63mm-e focal length is something I can warm to.

Nov 20, 2017 at 03:40 AM
kotmj

p.57 #6 · p.57 #6 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

A seller in my market has it in stock for the equivalent of USD 880 all taxes included. That's the price of a used Makro-Planar 50/2 "classic" on eBay.

Nov 20, 2017 at 06:54 AM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.57 #7 · p.57 #7 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

For what it's worth, I just spent a short time testing the 2/65 on a a7r2 body at portrait distances and found it very difficult to focus accurately (with a person, ie a slightly moving subject). It seems the falloff between sharp and OOF is quite abrupt and the helicoid is too short at portrait distances to allow careful, accurate focus, so I found myself overshooting a lot in both directions. I should add that I do have heaps of experience focusing people with various fast MF lenses and find this lens about as hard to focus accurately as any I've used (stationary subjects would be easier simply because there is more time). As a people lens I'm not sure the 2/65 is a 'thing', even though the images are superb and the bokeh was a little better than I'd anticipated too, it might be a bit too much of a struggle with too many missed shots. By comparison I regularly use an R 1.4/80, R 1.4/35 and FL 1.2/58 and have far less trouble getting accurate focus (even though the resulting images are less sharp than the images from the 2/65 (when focus is nailed)). Just my 2 cents.

Nov 20, 2017 at 09:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kotmj

p.57 #8 · p.57 #8 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

65mm may also be to avoid cannibalising sales of the Loxia 50. Imagine a 50 macro apo native emount Voigtlaender at usd1k. Nobody would buy the Loxia anymore.

It's also in the emount to avoid cannibalising the Milvus 50M available for Canon and Nikon.

So by selecting the 65mm focal length, Cosina is being polite to its biggest customer, Zeiss.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:26 AM
kotmj

p.57 #9 · p.57 #9 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

However, in 10 years when Zeiss manual focus lenses are made by Zhongyi in China, Cosina will be free to flesh out its portfolio of Voigtlaender lenses.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:47 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.57 #10 · p.57 #10 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

kotmj wrote:
65mm may also be to avoid cannibalising sales of the Loxia 50. Imagine a 50 macro apo native emount Voigtlaender at usd1k. Nobody would buy the Loxia anymore.

It's also in the emount to avoid cannibalising the Milvus 50M available for Canon and Nikon.

So by selecting the 65mm focal length, Cosina is being polite to its biggest customer, Zeiss.

And 40mm as well, and 15, 12 and 10mm...

Nov 20, 2017 at 05:33 PM
elimoss

p.57 #11 · p.57 #11 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Is there an ACR lens profile in the works? Probably need it just to correct vignetting but useful nonetheless

Nov 20, 2017 at 09:21 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.57 #12 · p.57 #12 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

They have made oddball FLs for a very long time - 75, 90, 125, 180, all just in the tele ranges. Perhaps the real explanation is the simple one: having a strong hand at the helm, they go their own way in design terms. It is disheartening to think Zeiss may have eschewed the lucrative/vital middle FL range to serve Sony's lens interests, and by implication there is some kind of pecking order determining who can do what on the 'open source' mount. It may happen to some degree, esp regarding time of release and real or imagined opportunities others do not offer.

There are precious few 50s that can lay reasonable claim to anything like APO status, for good reason - they are bloody hard to design compared to a 65mm (or really 60-100mm) which is why many new age 50s are hybrids rather than 6/4 Planars. The new breed are rather complex, and take much longer to ready for market. Even with CV efficiency you would pay for it.

The trad CZ short makro FL was 60mm and very popular in the day. Maybe CV sniffed that user preferences in close focus lenses are drifting longer - for better working distance, the 'look', easier work on insects, etc. and a 65mm has much broader applications than a 100-125mm. All these guys are loving historians of lenses too, and are design-smart in ways we do not understand.

Like the 40/1.2, they saw a gap and filled it with panache and style - and super quality. JJ's portrait experience is not a surprise, it has 'macro' in its title, and must pay at least some dues to close focus ability at the expense of other work. These things can be, and are, designed in to some degree, then there is the focus ring performance biased to the short end. It's why you see primary purpose portrait lenses delivering so strongly on the main goal - they know exactly what the focal distance will be, and how much separation they are aiming for, where the trade-offs need to be for still very good infinity work. This is the brief. It's not a lucky outcome, and this is one area where older firms have an advantage - legacy knowledge gained over decades. It's perhaps the reason new-to-the-game Sony propagated their distinctive GM bokeh style in PR - something new to sell.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:43 PM
realVivek
• •
p.57 #13 · p.57 #13 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

If there is no coercion from Zeiss, Cosina should bring back their APO Lanthar 125mm f/2.5. Preferrably in E mount.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:51 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.57 #14 · p.57 #14 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

A complex 11/9 lens with two ED elements, the 125/2.5 was far ahead of its time. With a filter size of 58mm and just 690 grams, it would seem a great addition for Sony users. It could be the best choice for true 1:1 macro work, esp with Sony's EVF aids. It features an amazing 530 degree focus ring rotation.

Two things come to mind when considering such lenses: (i) imagine how good it could be with a slight refresh and modern coatings, and (ii) how on earth does such a lens come to be discontinued?

The only thing people complained about was availability. Given their support so far, you would think CV knows Sony is a great future format for their MF lenses and their philosophy. So maybe?

Nov 21, 2017 at 02:16 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password