FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              61      
       63              82       83       end

Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.62 #1 · p.62 #1 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

A bit of cropping on the top and bottom, but still a good image of Seattle on a rainy night from the Bainbridge Ferry.

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:22 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.62 #2 · p.62 #2 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Another shot from a fair bit farther away. Top/bottom crop again.

Jan 13, 2018 at 11:26 PM
ScottUPPSALA
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.62 #3 · p.62 #3 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Read the entire thread "twice" and even the 40/1.2 thread and I want both! Have decided to start with this one, mainly because of the macro functionality which I don't currently have. The images (from both) have been incredible 😀

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:04 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.62 #4 · p.62 #4 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

For macro I read that tubes work great on this lens. I ordered the Kenko DG Extension Tube Set from B&H. They had some cheaper ones but reviews said something about heavier lenses, not that this lens is all that heavy. Have not received them yet but will post back soon.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1259949-REG/kenko_a_extubedg_sef_dg_extension_tube_set.html

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:42 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.62 #5 · p.62 #5 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Etherton wrote:
For macro I read that tubes work great on this lens. I ordered the Kenko DG Extension Tube Set from B&H. They had some cheaper ones but reviews said something about heavier lenses, not that this lens is all that heavy. Have not received them yet but will post back soon.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1259949-REG/kenko_a_extubedg_sef_dg_extension_tube_set.html

Yes, extensions work great with the CV 65. Still great resolution even with two extenders. I didn't have great experience with the Kenkos though. They were pretty lose with too much play. I know the reviews are great but it didn't have much luck. I purchased the Vello deluxe and liked it better.

Jan 14, 2018 at 01:22 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.62 #6 · p.62 #6 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Fred Miranda wrote:
Yes, extensions work great with the CV 65. Still great resolution even with two extenders. I didn't have great experience with the Kenkos though. They were pretty lose with too much play. I know the reviews are great but it didn't have much luck. I purchased the Vello deluxe and liked it better.

That's interesting to hear. I have a Kenko set, but they're just as flimsy and loose feeling as I remember their Canon version was, many years ago. Does the Vello set feel firmer and better-built?

Jan 14, 2018 at 01:35 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.62 #7 · p.62 #7 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
That's interesting to hear. I have a Kenko set, but they're just as flimsy and loose feeling as I remember their Canon version was, many years ago. Does the Vello set feel firmer and better-built?

I think there is variation and none of tubes available has great manufacturing tolerance. I wish Sony would produce them. Why not?
The Vello set I have is tight on the mount and to each other. The Kenko's I've tried had a lots of play and that was annoying when combined with somewhat heavy lenses like the CV 65. It could be copy variation...not sure.

Jan 14, 2018 at 07:12 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.62 #8 · p.62 #8 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Agreed, it's odd that Sony doesn't make a set. It's a gap in the system, along with the lack of a real ringflash (they have only a rather feeble continuous-light model instead).

Jan 14, 2018 at 07:25 PM
takomaru
• •
p.62 #9 · p.62 #9 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

I found a cheap Chinese, nondescript but tight set in a small camera shop in Bangkok; I just wished someone would make a similar set from my old Nikon one, which starts at close to 5mm and not 12. I use this a lot, even in some cafe or bar shooting melting ice cubes wo with medium to long exposures, adding other stuff in, even though my Nikon to Sony e adapters are just plain lousy!

Jan 14, 2018 at 07:26 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.62 #10 · p.62 #10 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Well, I could resist no longer....mine will arrive next week

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.62 #11 · p.62 #11 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
Well, I could resist no longer....mine will arrive next week

You will appreciate this lens Danny. Post some pictures. :-))
Weirdly I'm not using mine as much as I anticipated.

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:33 AM
ScottUPPSALA
• •
p.62 #12 · p.62 #12 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Ordered mine yesterday, can't wait 😊

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:50 AM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.62 #13 · p.62 #13 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Fred Miranda wrote:

I will! It may be a bit, since I don't do winter (it's been frigid here), and the local conservatory is pretty sparse at the moment!

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:14 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.62 #14 · p.62 #14 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Fred Miranda wrote:

I've used mine less than I thought as well, but I think that's mostly due to having the 40/1.2 CV in the bag and trying to focus on that to make sure it's gonna work for me. Really wish it was a 35/1.2 with the same IQ. Not anticipating that the soon to be released 35/1.4 CV will be that lens based on user reports of the legacy version.

In the mean time I confidently use the 65/2 wide open at any distance and know I will be satisfied with the results (minus user focusing and framing errors . . .).

Jan 18, 2018 at 01:45 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.62 #15 · p.62 #15 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

jhinkey wrote:
I've used mine less than I thought as well, but I think that's mostly due to having the 40/1.2 CV in the bag and trying to focus on that to make sure it's gonna work for me. Really wish it was a 35/1.2 with the same IQ. Not anticipating that the soon to be released 35/1.4 CV will be that lens based on user reports of the legacy version.

In the mean time I confidently use the 65/2 wide open at any distance and know I will be satisfied with the results (minus user focusing and framing errors . . .).

I think that my problem is that I reach for the 55/1.8 ZA or 85/1.4 GM more often...

Jan 18, 2018 at 03:47 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.62 #16 · p.62 #16 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

That's why I don't want to add the 55 f/1.8 to my bag - as good as it is if I do I won't use this lens.

Jan 18, 2018 at 04:01 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.62 #17 · p.62 #17 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Fred Miranda wrote:
I think that my problem is that I reach for the 55/1.8 ZA or 85/1.4 GM more often...

Yeah, that's another reason why I try to have ~2x FOV factors between lenses in my bag - that forces me to use them.

Jan 18, 2018 at 08:34 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.62 #18 · p.62 #18 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

jhinkey wrote:
Yeah, that's another reason why I try to have ~2x FOV factors between lenses in my bag - that forces me to use them.

My problem is that I love all three lenses.

Jan 18, 2018 at 09:14 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.62 #19 · p.62 #19 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

My problem is that I'm a lens pig

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:58 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.62 #20 · p.62 #20 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

That's why I am (so far) not getting this lens. Don't over-feed the pig! . What would get me over the hump is the forthcoming 35 f:1.4 if it is really good. Then I would get both as a "lighter kit".

Jan 19, 2018 at 01:26 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.