FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              55      
       57       end

Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Peter T
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.56 #1 · p.56 #1 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Or, given the current exchange rate, consider buying from the Voigtlander importer to the UK. Not sure what the tax implications are but this is a good place to start.

https://www.robertwhite.co.uk/international-delivery

I have no connection to the firm but I do have a soft spot for them given some history which I will explain one day soon when I can get over to Dorchester and take a photograph!?

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:40 AM
Driftwood

p.56 #2 · p.56 #2 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

rji2goleez wrote:
Try Camera Quest. Steve Gandy is great to work with and ships overnight.

Saw this on his site:

"Please note: we ship Voigtlander products Only to the US, Mexico, South America."

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:54 AM
scrappydog
• •
p.56 #3 · p.56 #3 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Peter T wrote:
Or, given the current exchange rate, consider buying from the Voigtlander importer to the UK. Not sure what the tax implications are but this is a good place to start.

https://www.robertwhite.co.uk/international-delivery

I have no connection to the firm but I do have a soft spot for them given some history which I will explain one day soon when I can get over to Dorchester and take a photograph!?

I have bought several lenses from them and have had them shipped to the USA. Great shop, friendly service. They ship via UPS, which employs a bunch of funtionaries that do not understand the tariff laws. Accordingly, if you are in the USA, expect to pay tariffs if the lens is over $800, despite that this is not the only statutory exception to the DHS tariff laws. The tariff amount is 2.3% (around $30 USD for this lens). If you fight for your right to not be mischarged by UPS, expect to run into a lot of dolts along the way.

Nov 09, 2017 at 12:30 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.56 #4 · p.56 #4 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

jhinkey wrote:
The 65/2 is now always in the bag. Lately the bag has had:
35/2.8 Sony FE
65/2 APO CV FE
135/3.4 APO Telyt M
300/5.6 ED-AI Nikkor

that's roughly a ~2x FOV/FL factor between lenses.

Very portable and reasonably light. Sometimes the 16/3.5 Nikkor or 21/2.8 Lox sneaks into there.

John -- Did you replace the Nikon 300/4.5 IF ED AI?

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:15 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.56 #5 · p.56 #5 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

scrappydog wrote:
I have bought several lenses from them and have had them shipped to the USA. Great shop, friendly service. They ship via UPS, which employs a bunch of funtionaries that do not understand the tariff laws. Accordingly, if you are in the USA, expect to pay tariffs if the lens is over $800, despite that this is not the only statutory exception to the DHS tariff laws. The tariff amount is 2.3% (around $30 USD for this lens). If you fight for your right to not be mischarged by UPS, expect to run into a lot of dolts along the
...Show more

UPS is the worst. Especially shipping cross border...

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:27 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.56 #6 · p.56 #6 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Gary Clennan wrote:
UPS is the worst. Especially shipping cross border...

I won’t use them. They never deliver on the states date.

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:33 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.56 #7 · p.56 #7 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

UPS is a PITA. Sometimes, you have no choice. I have ordered from Robert White (a fine retailer in my experience) but they use UPS. Last time I paid the duty online and got an email confirmation. UPS driver still tried to charge me but gave up when I told him I had paid it.

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:41 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.56 #8 · p.56 #8 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Gunzorro wrote:

Yes, I sold the 300/4.5 ED-IF a long time ago as it was no better than my lowly 70-300/4-5.6 AFS Nikkor at 300mm. About 2 years ago I located an excellent condition 300/4.5 ED AI (non-IF) that I've been very very happy with.

Both the non-IF versions of the 400/5.6 ED and 300/4.5 ED are excellent lenses and are very happy to make 42.5MP images on my A7RII.

- J

Nov 09, 2017 at 05:15 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.56 #9 · p.56 #9 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Gunzorro wrote:

I guess I mis-typed the 300/4.5 ED AI as 300/5.6 ED AI (a lens that does not exist).

Nov 09, 2017 at 05:17 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.56 #10 · p.56 #10 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Driftwood wrote:
I spent the past week reading every post in this 55 page thread, getting more and more excited about this lens. Decided this was the right lens for me, so I went to B&H to place the order and..

"Due to certain restrictions, this item cannot be shipped to CANADA."

Amazon.ca doesn't sell it but Amazon.com does, but will need an extra $164 for shipping and import fees. I wanted to buy from B&H for the free shipping and because I trust the company. eBay has them, but will be shipped from Hong Kong or Japan. Arghh

Robert White in the UK is a good dealer with good pricing.

Nov 09, 2017 at 09:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

flashbulb

p.56 #11 · p.56 #11 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

A Canadian source is Downtown Camera in Toronto, I'm in the market for one as well and they do have in stock and quoted $1,350 over the phone. I have also bought from Robert White in the UK and can vouch they provide excellent service and would be a cheaper source, even with shipping charges.

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:29 PM
Driftwood

p.56 #12 · p.56 #12 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

flashbulb wrote:
A Canadian source is Downtown Camera in Toronto, I'm in the market for one as well and they do have in stock and quoted $1,350 over the phone. I have also bought from Robert White in the UK and can vouch they provide excellent service and would be a cheaper source, even with shipping charges.

Thanks flashbulb, I came across Broadway Camera in Vancouver, and purchased it from them (should arrive quicker since they're just one province over ). Robert White indeed would be a cheaper source though, you're absolutely right.

Nov 10, 2017 at 09:01 AM
Peter T
• •
p.56 #13 · p.56 #13 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

In case it is of interest to anyone for the future, this is Robert White's comment on the shipping issue:

"sadly all delivery companies from UK to USA are difficult.

We generally use UPS and DPD.

UPS is the lesser of two evils..."

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:13 PM
Noodlz79
• •
p.56 #14 · p.56 #14 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

If only they would make a CV 35mm f2 APO version of this lens.

Nov 11, 2017 at 12:31 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.56 #15 · p.56 #15 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

New looking at the old or is it the old looking at the new?

My daughter sporting the Kodak Retina IIa and some ISO 400 color negative film.

Off course she (and I) were using an exposure meter app on our smart phones - now there's a clash of time - 1948 camera using a 2017 thing called and "app" to get the correct exposure.

ILCE-7RM2    Voigtlander MACRO APO-LANTHAR 65mm F2 Aspherical lens    65mm    f/2.0    1/200s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7RM2    Voigtlander MACRO APO-LANTHAR 65mm F2 Aspherical lens    65mm    f/2.0    1/200s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 11, 2017 at 01:39 AM
kotmj

p.56 #16 · p.56 #16 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Has anyone done an A/B comparison between this Voigtlaender and a Zeiss 2/50 Makro-Planar with manual WB? I'm interested to see if this Voigtlaender has Zeiss colours. Not interested in subjective descriptions, only in pictures of the same scene on the same body with identical settings and manual WB.

Nov 11, 2017 at 07:14 PM
Wanny
• •
p.56 #17 · p.56 #17 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

How would this lens do with Food Photography?

Nov 13, 2017 at 05:22 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.56 #18 · p.56 #18 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Actually I think it be perfect for it. Its not only sharp as hell, its a nice working distance

Nov 13, 2017 at 06:07 PM
Wanny
• •
p.56 #19 · p.56 #19 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Thats what I was thinking

Nov 13, 2017 at 08:10 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.56 #20 · p.56 #20 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

I was recommended this lens on a different thread. Can I ask a few questions please?

The use of the lens will be for reproduction photography only. Digitizing ancient documents and manuscripts. Bolted 24/7 onto an A7rIII on a copy stand and specifically used with the new multishot capability of that camera. Our country does not have a reliable Voigtlander dealer (all they have is a FB page and they want $1400 for the lens ) so in all probability we would be ordering the lens untested from the US.

1) Our working aperture on the systems is f8. A DOF requirement. I am aware that this is slightly less than optimal but still necessary. How would this lens compare to the Sony 55mm 1.8 at that aperture? We have the multishot sample image from DPReview (specifically the text panels in the centre) shot with the 55mm as our only reference point at present and have no idea if that is pretty much what we would be achieving or if we could better it. I have seen Fred's exceptional comparison images from near the beginning of this thread but they were shot wide open.

2) Has there been any reports of copy variation? We would have to buy from abroad sight unseen and returning lenses would be a royal pain in the neck.

3) Has anyone noted the effect of using extension tubes on sharpness (centre/corner)? As you can imagine, having part of the writing on a page unsharp compared to the centre is a serious issue for our work. Edge to edge sharpness is crucial.

4) Perhaps a somewhat obscure question, a mark of a good macro lens is the ability to point 90 degree downwards without shifting or slipping focus regardless of heavy front elements. Our Nikkor lenses will not shift even when left alone for a week. Our Phase One lenses would shift over just half an hour. Has anyone perhaps noticed the characteristics of this lens in such a fashion?

5) From obscurity to "you're really pushing your luck!". I don't suppose anyone knows of a comparison to the Coastal Optics 60mm Macro? We were looking into this lens anyway for use on a UV/IR stripped sensor D810 which we are playing with buying for use with badly damaged or faded documents. That project is still budget limited (the lighting costs a fortune) so I cannot count on the budget for that lens based on the off chance that we might need it's multi spectrum abilities later on. Unless I can prove that it's significantly better and catch the boss on a good day.

Nov 14, 2017 at 07:11 PM
       57       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

57       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password