FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              47      
       49              82       83       end

Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

jlehet
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.48 #1 · p.48 #1 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

I don't think I need to go through f8. In this test another one of my expectations was shown the door. I thought the CV bokeh would show more detail, but right through to f8 I can't really see it as more detailed than the Rokkor in this scene.

Oct 02, 2017 at 02:22 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.48 #2 · p.48 #2 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Seems like the CV bokeh does have some more structure to it than the Rokkor, but it is hard to tell with changing light. It would be great to do the test a bit more formally--on a tripod, remote release, same focus point, and consistent light if possible. Still, I think you are right in that the CV bokeh is really not bad at all. The CV 65 has a number of strengths and very few weaknesses. Am glad I have one in my bag.

Oct 02, 2017 at 03:03 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.48 #3 · p.48 #3 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

jlehet wrote:
The focus-magnify was so intermittently twitch with the CV 65 on my camera, this morning I was contemplating sending it in for warranty. The magnification just would not hold, even moving the focus box around was weird. I had also started to notice some weirdness with the camera when using this lens, like the tripod timed exposure sometimes would fail and I'd need to restart the camera to get it reliable. This morning it seemed particularly bad, and I suddenly had the thought: Camera Firmware. I was still at 3.30 on the a7rii. When 4.0 came out in the summer
...Show more

---------------------------------------------

jlehet wrote:
I bet you're running firmware 4.0, Fred? Anyone running 3.30 or lower and using this lens without glitches in focus-magnify?

If the answer to the latter is yes, than I think I will send in. As it is, it seems good now that I updated the FW. I just made some afternoon exposures and the glitch didn't happen at all.

Fred Miranda wrote:
I'm on FW 4.0.

JimKasson wrote:
Spoke too soon. I had been using the EVF with no problem, but when I put the camera on a copy stand and use the LCD panel for viewing, now I have it, too. Guess I'll upgrade.

Sure wish there were an option to invert all the LCD menus. But then, the way the back multipurpose dial would have to me rejiggered.

Jim

I just received my copy (honestly it just found its way into my shopping cart ... no idea how ) but I have the same problem ... it only stays in focus mag (low or high) for a second or few.

I have a 2nd A7R2 body so I checked it and it has exactly the same issue with the lens. Both bodies on V4 F/W.

Then tried it on an a6300 and it again does the same thing.

I rechecked one of my A7R2 bodies with a 21mm Loxia (the only other MF E mount lens I have that auto magnifies when the focus it turned) and it still works fine (ie stays in focus mag as it should).

I boxed it up ready to return.

Mike

Oct 02, 2017 at 04:48 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.48 #4 · p.48 #4 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

jlehet, that door is seeing a lot of traffic these days. Thanks for the demo.

Oct 02, 2017 at 05:01 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.48 #5 · p.48 #5 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Are you guys finding this problem only with auto-magnification, or with manual magnification via button?

I ask because I haven't seen the issue, but I never use auto-mag: though I'm always using button magnification.

Oct 02, 2017 at 05:43 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.48 #6 · p.48 #6 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

I'm not a fan of auto magnification on MF lenses on my mirrorless - Pany G85 and A7RII - it's too easy for it to go away when you don't want it to and/or go to 100% mag when you don't want it to. So I typically have this turned off and just rely on a dedicated button to trigger 100% mag.

Seems like there may be some open box/used 65mm f/2 CVs to be had - where did you return your 65/2 APO? I'll take it off their hand for 75% of the MSRP

Oct 02, 2017 at 06:12 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.48 #7 · p.48 #7 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

I don’t use the auto magnification either. I have custom button 1 for this instead. My hand is on the lens most of the time and I knock it off when I don’t want to with auto. So I do it manually

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:05 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.48 #8 · p.48 #8 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

I used both auto and manual and got the same issue. It also has no impact if I'm touching the aperture ring or not.

Mike

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:10 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.48 #9 · p.48 #9 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Is this happening with any body. I’m using a A9

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:18 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.48 #10 · p.48 #10 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

I checked on 2 A7R2 bodies and an a6300 and got the same issue. So definitely lens related and it's boxed up with an RMA ...

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.48 #11 · p.48 #11 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

I've had no issue with mine (not using auto-magnification but manual) on my A9.

For those that have the issue, I wonder if the lens has some intermittent loss of connection with the camera or something like that...

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:20 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.48 #12 · p.48 #12 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Could be something like that. I have seen this same issue a couple of times using adapted lenses when the adapter was a bit too long and touched the contacts. In that case the problem would happen when I held and wiggled the lens a little. I was able to cure it with Guy's favorite photography tool ... a dremel by shaving a little off the back of the adapter over the contact area (these were dumb adapters). I did check to see if lens wiggling affected this on the 65mm VC and it made no difference. The lens-body (all 3) connection is very solid too.

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:27 PM
jlehet
• •
p.48 #13 · p.48 #13 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Mine acted up again this afternoon. I thought the firmware really fixed it. Disappointing, as I really don't want to be without it at this time. I hope B&H will be good to deal with.

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:52 PM
jlehet
• •
p.48 #14 · p.48 #14 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

When it was really acting up, last week, I switched from button to auto magnification to see if it would help. It didn't, and in general I feel undo the auto magnification to be much less pleasant with no benefit. Back to button.

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:57 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.48 #15 · p.48 #15 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

jlehet wrote:
I compared the CV 65 to the Rokkor 58 1.2 in a sharpness/bokeh test for whatever it's worth. Handheld, unfortunately. The light changed a little bit between lens changes. I think this test would be a "normal" bokeh situation, neither extremely soft nor extremely contrasty. Sun was hitting the birch trees and foliage across the little pond, and those bright trunks and leaves were casting reflections on the water. Focus was on the mid-field, where a cattail leaf folds over another one. I think the distance was about what you might call "normal" portrait distance.

First the Rokkor at f2, legendary
...Show more

thanks for the comparison. most lenses, with a few exceptions, actually improve their stopping down (unless they have annoying shaped apertures like hexagons), so i would expect the two lenses to converge as you stop down.

Oct 03, 2017 at 01:42 AM
jlehet
• •
p.48 #16 · p.48 #16 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Yeah, very often the case, though I'm not sure it's the case with this lens, though again, it's more of a feeling I have than anything that shows up in any comparisons I've made. I tend to like the bokeh of the cv65 best wide open and like it a little less with each stop. That may just be because the bokeh balls, when they show up, are unappealing to me even though they're not hexagons (though I'm developing a taste for them).

The Loxia 50 is another one where I'm not sure the bokeh improves with stopping down, but it's kind of complicated with that lens too.

As for my magnification glitch that happened briefly yesterday afternoon, it was gone again this morning. Quite a few exposures and no issue.

Oct 03, 2017 at 09:12 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.48 #17 · p.48 #17 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Mine is on it's way back to B&H to be replaced. I'll update on how the replacement works when I get it...

Oct 03, 2017 at 01:57 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.48 #18 · p.48 #18 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

Seems that Sony gives interesting answer to DigLloyd, when he sent his camera to Sony for this issue of exiting from magnification (sounded similar issue as people have been having with Voigtländer).

Sony write according to DigLloyd:
Sony stated that 3rd party lenses like Zeiss Loxia and Zeiss Batis are not supported.

https://diglloyd.com/blog/2017/20171003_1052-SonyA7R_II-repair-not-reproducible.html

Samuli

Oct 03, 2017 at 04:32 PM
Slingers

p.48 #19 · p.48 #19 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

I have these magnification issues with my A7S and LAEA4. The adapter has a slight play when attached so I assume it's an electrical contact problem. Often when I focus a lens on the adapter it switches out of magnification or sometimes just goes out of magnification mode on its own.

I would return the lens if that happened to me as it can make it unusable and I find I use the adapter less often because of it.

Oct 03, 2017 at 04:42 PM
elimoss
• •
p.48 #20 · p.48 #20 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar

I don't have the this lens but on other E mount lenses with aperture ring, setting the aperture ring can drop the UI out of the focus magnifier. So perhaps there is some over-sensitivity there, or phantom transmission. Try keeping your fingers clear of the ring.

Oct 04, 2017 at 12:53 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.