2.8 more for the extra depth for me not sharpness. It's a laser at F2

Sep 14, 2017 at 04:44 PM
MAubrey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.47 #2 · p.47 #2 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

nehemiahphoto wrote:
It's been out of production since 2002

I've always thought that the CV APO's marked the beginning of the current "modern era" for lenses, but maybe I just need to acknowledge that I'm not as young as I like to imagine I am...

Sep 15, 2017 at 05:58 PM
jlehet
• •
p.47 #3 · p.47 #3 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

For landscape use, of course the depth of field is less than a 50, which is a bit surprising sometimes though it shouldn't be. It's something to take into account. Here I was focusing more on the mid-field rather than infinity, and at f9. The background surprised me that it's not sharp. I think with the Loxia 50, which I'm used to, I might have been happier with the DOF here. I'll have to think about stopping down more for images like this:

Today:

Sep 16, 2017 at 01:01 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.47 #4 · p.47 #4 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
Well, lots of us do prefer MF. There are many lenses that I wouldn't buy due to their AF, especially if they are FBW.

This looks like a great lens and I'd be tempted to get it, but if I'm going to carry a fat heavy lens at this focal length, I may as well just take the Otus 55.

We are talking twice as heavy with adapter though. The Otus is a stop faster but not as long and without macro...I would try the CV 65/2 APO first as I have a feeling you're going to like it.
The Batis 135/2.8 and CV 65/2 are the best lenses I have.

Sep 21, 2017 at 03:28 AM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.47 #5 · p.47 #5 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Fred Miranda wrote:
We are talking twice as heavy with adapter though. The Otus is a stop faster but not as long and without macro...I would try the CV 65/2 APO first as I have a feeling you're going to like it.
The Batis 135/2.8 and CV 65/2 are the best lenses I have.

True enough, after I wrote the quoted post, I checked weight and saw that the Otus is indeed twice as heavy. More than I thought. The Oti work great with extension tubes, though; I use them for flower closeups quite a bit.

But who knows - maybe when flower season rolls around again in the spring, I'll let myself be tempted by the 65. It's not like I have a 65, other than the Canon 65 1-5:1 macro, which I don't use outdoors...

Sep 21, 2017 at 04:01 AM
dgpfotografia

p.47 #6 · p.47 #6 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

FYI - http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/voigtlander-602-apo-lanthar-loca-focus-shift/

Sep 22, 2017 at 06:53 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.47 #7 · p.47 #7 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

dgpfotografia wrote:
FYI - http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/voigtlander-602-apo-lanthar-loca-focus-shift/

Yep, impressive.

More of the same here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4206184

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:00 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.47 #8 · p.47 #8 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Well it's nice that Jim figured it out scientifically and confirmed what we came up with in real world. Nice when they match up

Sep 23, 2017 at 01:30 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.47 #9 · p.47 #9 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Note well the relative performance by aperture, and the comment re distance focusing - 'a little twitchy'.

Sep 23, 2017 at 01:58 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.47 #10 · p.47 #10 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

philip_pj wrote:
Note well the relative performance by aperture, and the comment re distance focusing - 'a little twitchy'.

Yes, diffraction starts to take a toll on sharpness past f/5.6

F/4 and larger apertures are essentially equally sharp, so f/4 may be the optimum depending on what the borders/corners are doing and if you care.

Sep 23, 2017 at 02:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.47 #11 · p.47 #11 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

I can see it at F8. It's still amazing but it's starting to go south

Sep 23, 2017 at 02:41 AM
jlehet
• •
p.47 #12 · p.47 #12 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

The focus-magnify was so intermittently twitch with the CV 65 on my camera, this morning I was contemplating sending it in for warranty. The magnification just would not hold, even moving the focus box around was weird. I had also started to notice some weirdness with the camera when using this lens, like the tripod timed exposure sometimes would fail and I'd need to restart the camera to get it reliable. This morning it seemed particularly bad, and I suddenly had the thought: Camera Firmware. I was still at 3.30 on the a7rii. When 4.0 came out in the summer I made the choice not to mess with anything before the August Iceland trip, and since then I've been really busy and had forgotten about it. I updated the camera to 4.0, and I do believe it is much much better. It was always a bit intermittent so it may be too soon to say for sure. Makes sense though: new lens, new firmware to deal with it.

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:22 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.47 #13 · p.47 #13 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

jlehet wrote:
The focus-magnify was so intermittently twitch with the CV 65 on my camera, this morning I was contemplating sending it in for warranty. The magnification just would not hold, even moving the focus box around was weird. I had also started to notice some weirdness with the camera when using this lens, like the tripod timed exposure sometimes would fail and I'd need to restart the camera to get it reliable. This morning it seemed particularly bad, and I suddenly had the thought: Camera Firmware. I was still at 3.30 on the a7rii. When 4.0 came out in the summer
...Show more

I would send it in as don't get this behavior with my copy. Did you try cleaning the contacts?

Sep 27, 2017 at 04:14 PM
jlehet
• •
p.47 #14 · p.47 #14 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

I bet you're running firmware 4.0, Fred? Anyone running 3.30 or lower and using this lens without glitches in focus-magnify?

If the answer to the latter is yes, than I think I will send in. As it is, it seems good now that I updated the FW. I just made some afternoon exposures and the glitch didn't happen at all.

Sep 27, 2017 at 08:44 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.47 #15 · p.47 #15 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

jlehet wrote:
I bet you're running firmware 4.0, Fred? Anyone running 3.30 or lower and using this lens without glitches in focus-magnify?

If the answer to the latter is yes, than I think I will send in. As it is, it seems good now that I updated the FW. I just made some afternoon exposures and the glitch didn't happen at all.

I'm on FW 4.0.

Sep 27, 2017 at 08:47 PM
JimKasson

p.47 #16 · p.47 #16 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

jlehet wrote:
I bet you're running firmware 4.0, Fred? Anyone running 3.30 or lower and using this lens without glitches in focus-magnify?.

I have no problems with 3.30 on an a7RII.

Jim

Sep 29, 2017 at 02:42 PM
jlehet
• •
p.47 #17 · p.47 #17 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Whatever was funky seems to be abruptly and definitely fixed by upgrading the firmware. It's also possible there was something funky in the firmware altogether, and the replacement was a fix even though the issue wasn't tied to the version 3.3 specifically but rather something in my camera being corrupted. I know on Apple computers we do voodoo of resetting the "Parameter Ram" when things get generally weird. Though there's no way to do that on the camera I know of, maybe that happened with the firmware update. My settings were maintained with the update, which I was happy about. Maybe the last time I updated firmware on an Olympus camera my settings were all lost, and with an Olympus camera that means a lot of time doing web searches to try to figure out how to set the damn thing. (Overall I like the Oly cameras, but setting them up is a pain.)

I made another hundred+ exposures this morning with four lenses, including the 65/2 quite a bit, and the issue didn't happen at all. ( used two smart lenses, including the Lox 21, and two dumb lenses). This issue with focus was only with the 65/2.

There had been other issues with the camera besides the focus magnification, even just before I got the new lens. I was worrying about the camera as well as this lens. But now it's all good, I think. One issue before I got this lens was that if I made a quick series of exposures, as I am prone to do, going through a few or several apertures -- then part way through the relatively rapid exposures with the same settings, one would be overexposed by a stop or so. Lightroom would report approximately the same brightness value, but the exposure would be off, always overexposed. Then with this lens on I started having trouble with the two second timer not firing.

Anyway, in the 400-ish exposures I've made with the camera, mostly with the CV 65, there have been no issues. knock wood.

Out of the 6 or so copies of Loxias that I've had, there was one 50 that was replaced by Zeiss because it was crashing my camera, over a year ago. Zeiss could not reproduce the issue. I've had two copies of the Loxia 50 since that first crashy one (and two 21s) and none of the other ones had an issue with the camera. Voodoo. Firmware. Electronic issues. Who knows?

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:19 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.47 #18 · p.47 #18 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

jlehet wrote:
Whatever was funky seems to be abruptly and definitely fixed by upgrading the firmware. It's also possible there was something funky in the firmware altogether, and the replacement was a fix even though the issue wasn't tied to the version 3.3 specifically but rather something in my camera being corrupted. I know on Apple computers we do voodoo of resetting the "Parameter Ram" when things get generally weird. Though there's no way to do that on the camera I know of, maybe that happened with the firmware update. My settings were maintained with the update, which I was happy about.
...Show more

Very odd. I remember you mentioning the magnification issue when you first got the lens. I never saw this on mine. I'm glad the FW upgrade fixed it though.

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:49 PM
lightskyland
• •
p.47 #19 · p.47 #19 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Jim Kasson finds it gives the Otus 55/1.4 a serious run for the money:

http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/652-apo-lanthar-551-4-otus/

Not a surprise to me after using this lens a lot over the past few weeks.

Oct 01, 2017 at 07:18 PM
JimKasson

p.47 #20 · p.47 #20 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

JimKasson wrote:
I have no problems with 3.30 on an a7RII.

Spoke too soon. I had been using the EVF with no problem, but when I put the camera on a copy stand and use the LCD panel for viewing, now I have it, too. Guess I'll upgrade.

Sure wish there were an option to invert all the LCD menus. But then, the way the back multipurpose dial would have to me rejiggered.

Jim

Oct 01, 2017 at 08:18 PM
1       2       3              46      
       48              53       54       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              46      
       48              53       54       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password