1       2       3              45      
       47              56       57       end

Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Luvwine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.46 #1 · p.46 #1 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

GMPhotography wrote:
Look at the gold statue the VC is holding the specular highlights better in the upper chest area better.

Might be difference in exposure since both at 1/400 and F1.8 versus F2.

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:34 PM
Chris_88
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.46 #2 · p.46 #2 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

DavidBM wrote:
Thought that an important comparison for the 2/65 is the Leica 2.5/75 (the 2.4/75 is optically the same with the aperture blades adjusted mechanically)

The Leica is as sharp, I think. And it's much smaller. It doesn't have much LoCA in the strict sense.
But it has much more spherochromatism!

Here are two images of Annie, taken a long time apart (it seems her expression when concentrating on the ball is always the same)

And check the crops of the nose: that spehrochromatism in the OOF areas is super hard to correct, and it's almost completely absent in the CV 65. This is an
...Show more

Thank you, David. The Leica did better than expected, even though it is a very nice lens, the CV seems to be a home run. Talking about the CV, mine arrived earlier today.

You guys should post large G.A.S. warnings or something like that on the first page of those threads .

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:02 AM
jlehet
• •
p.46 #3 · p.46 #3 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Thank you Phillip.

I've got the 65 and have little chance of owning the 55 (not even much chance of keeping the Loxia 50) but I wonder if you did mid-aperture bokeh comparisons at all. Wide open the CV holds its own in your comparison with the 55. As I've said, sometimes the aperture shape gets very aggressively involved in the bokeh with the 65 from f2.5 to f8, and that is its weakest quality to me.

I was casually comparing the 65 with my OM 50 MC 1.4 (last version) in some through-the-apertures series yesterday, and that was a real difference. While the OM did show its 8 sided aperture shape at mid apertures, they were very soft, while the CV 65 shows clear and dramatic aperture shapes -- but only sometimes. Sometimes they are gone, sometimes soft, sometimes very hard.

Of course the real difference in my OM 50 1.4 vs CV comparison was that the OM is pretty soft and glowy at wider apertures, while the CV is brilliant at the focal plane.

Maybe, to procrastinate more pressing matters, I can post some of those.

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:31 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.46 #4 · p.46 #4 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

jlehet wrote:
Thank you Phillip.

I've got the 65 and have little chance of owning the 55 (not even much chance of keeping the Loxia 50) but I wonder if you did mid-aperture bokeh comparisons at all. Wide open the CV holds its own in your comparison with the 55. As I've said, sometimes the aperture shape gets very aggressively involved in the bokeh with the 65 from f2.5 to f8, and that is its weakest quality to me.

I was casually comparing the 65 with my OM 50 MC 1.4 (last version) in some through-the-apertures series yesterday, and that was a real difference.
...Show more
I was more interested in wide open performance but there are some at f/2.8
Voigtlander_65mmF2_APO_Macro-6 by Phillip Reeve Data, on Flickr

Voigtlander_65mmF2_APO_Macro-4 by Phillip Reeve Data, on Flickr

Voigtlander_65mmF2_APO_Macro-26 by Phillip Reeve Data, on Flickr

(sun went away):
Voigtlander_65mmF2_APO_Macro-28 by Phillip Reeve Data, on Flickr

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:40 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.46 #5 · p.46 #5 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Interesting at 2.8 the VC background is softer in look. In real world sometimes I'm a little nervous about she ting wide open. Many times I will go a stop down just for that little extra sharpness on the focused area. Nice to see in this example it still is very nice on the bokeh. Bwteen this and the Batis 135 I got a winning kit. Now hopefully I can get the VC 35 1.7 to work. I have two different adapters to try plus the one I have on hand. I might have a idea on getting one adapter to work. Be nice to have the 35,65,135 as the travel/ landscape kit. I'm really loving this lens

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:48 AM
jlehet
• •
p.46 #6 · p.46 #6 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Through the viewfinder I seem to see it sharpen up stopping down just a little (might just be that focus is a little easier with a little more DOF) but I haven't really noticed the difference on the monitor. It's sharp wide open if you get focus. IMO the main reason to stop down a little is if there are cats' eyes and they bother you.

I had an experience of that stop-down-its sharper in the viewfinder this morning, and I have yet to review the images to see if that was real.

Sep 14, 2017 at 01:43 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.46 #7 · p.46 #7 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Yea I want to test some more just got sidetracked on the VC 35 once I get that going I'm going on a road trip and put all this through the paces.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:10 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.46 #8 · p.46 #8 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

jlehet wrote:
Through the viewfinder I seem to see it sharpen up stopping down just a little (might just be that focus is a little easier with a little more DOF) but I haven't really noticed the difference on the monitor. It's sharp wide open if you get focus. IMO the main reason to stop down a little is if there are cats' eyes and they bother you.

I had an experience of that stop-down-its sharper in the viewfinder this morning, and I have yet to review the images to see if that was real.

I don't worry too much about cat's-eye bokeh as it's pretty much inevitable. Fast lenses shot wide open will show this to varying degrees...so, it's something that's going to be visible on the full frame corners...Even my 85/1.4 GM which fares better in this regard also shows very distinctive cat-eye highlights towards the corners of the frame.

I know it bothers many shooters but the only solution is to stop the lens down or crop the extreme edges of the image field.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:15 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.46 #9 · p.46 #9 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Fred Miranda wrote:
I don't worry too much about cat's-eye bokeh as it's pretty much inevitable. Fast lenses shot wide open will show this to varying degrees...so, it's something that's going to be visible on the full frame corners...Even my 85/1.4 GM which seems to be rated great in this regard shows very distinctive cat-eye highlights in the corners of the frame.

I know it bothers many shooters but the only solution is to stop the lens down or crop the extreme edges of the image field.

The ZA50 at f/1.7 seems to have a lot less optical vignetting than either the FE55 or CV65 wide open so if one is annoyed by it, there is your alternative

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:17 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.46 #10 · p.46 #10 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

I have a very lot of Nikkor and EF lenses that adapt to my A9 with no AF. So $1000 seems quite a lot for (another) lens with no AF (or IS/VR/OSS). No matter how many colored lines the lens has they still don't make it AF.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.46 #11 · p.46 #11 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

SoundHound wrote:
I have a very lot of Nikkor and EF lenses that adapt to my A9 with no AF. So $1000 seems quite a lot for (another) lens with no AF (or IS/VR/OSS). No matter how many colored lines the lens has they still don't make it AF.

Well I prefer colored lines on my lens over colored fountains in my pictures . You are of course right in that this is a luxury item but certainly one of the nicer ones.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:53 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.46 #12 · p.46 #12 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Honestly my 8 thousand dollar tech cam lenses with medium format maybe not as good as we are seeing. Certainly not wide open

Price is personal to what you are after in glass.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:57 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.46 #13 · p.46 #13 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

SoundHound wrote:

What do you think about the Zeiss Otus or Milvus lines costing double or even quadruple compared to this CV? They share the absence of AF and are not even native...It's an old discussion and a matter of priorities....To get this level of color correction and resolution across the frame wide open, lenses need lots of special glass and will never be small or cheap.

PS: The CV 65/2 it's a native with electronics...therefore its 'focal length' is transmitted to the body and we get 'automatic' image stabilization. (IBIS)

Sep 14, 2017 at 03:06 PM
jlehet
• •
p.46 #14 · p.46 #14 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

I've used a couple of older Nikkor lenses recently and long term. Some are pretty good and some are pretty mediocre.

In a range round this FL the 85 1.8 D is a pretty nice lens, but not sharp wide open, no macro, and sometimes some ugly highlight artifacts. Overall pretty nice bokeh and pretty sharp stopped down a bit. I used it a fair bit for a while last summer/early fall. Not in this league overall but I think a reasonable lens for its price.

Then there's the old 60 D 2.8 Macro, which I used for quite a few years when I used a Nikon DSLR. It has nice bokeh but ugly bokeh balls/highlights, especially for slightly out of focus specular highlights. It can be a pleasing lens, and again, is pretty good for its price. Again, nowhere in this league.

I have never used any MF Nikkor 50s, so I can't speak for that.

Sep 14, 2017 at 03:07 PM
jlehet
• •
p.46 #15 · p.46 #15 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Fred Miranda wrote:
PS: The CV 65/2 it's a native with electronics...therefore its 'focal lens' is transmitted to the body and we get 'automatic' image stabilization. (IBIS)

That has got me spoiled. I've been mostly using this CV65, and yesterday when I was comparing some OM lenses it was hard to get back in the habit of adjusting the focal length for stabilization. I forgot for some lens changes.

Sep 14, 2017 at 03:09 PM
jlehet
• •
p.46 #16 · p.46 #16 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

The other thing about native lenses -- I might be wrong about this -- but are they somehow adjusted to be brighter in the viewfinder?

Sep 14, 2017 at 03:10 PM
digital_AM
• • •
p.46 #17 · p.46 #17 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Anyone keep their Loxia 85 or equivalent to go with this CV65?

Sep 14, 2017 at 03:19 PM
jlehet
• •
p.46 #18 · p.46 #18 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

Not sure equivalent, but I'm keeping both my Contax G90 (lightweight, longer, sharp) and my OM Macro 90/2 (one of my very favorite lenses as the bokeh king) and I will likely carry one or the other of those along with this CV.

Sep 14, 2017 at 03:33 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.46 #19 · p.46 #19 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

SoundHound wrote:

Well, lots of us do prefer MF. There are many lenses that I wouldn't buy due to their AF, especially if they are FBW.

This looks like a great lens and I'd be tempted to get it, but if I'm going to carry a fat heavy lens at this focal length, I may as well just take the Otus 55.

Sep 14, 2017 at 04:00 PM
jlehet
• •
p.46 #20 · p.46 #20 · Official: Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar for $999

As for my sharper-in-the-viewfinder perception, reviewing those particular images (focus on a spiderweb at about 6 feet away) there is no difference. f2 is as sharp as f2.8 on screen. It's funny, I remember it seemed to jump in sharpness, but it might have been some factor of the EVF, like the way it sometimes "shimmers." I looked at a large sample of others f2 vs f2.8, and I can't reliably say 2.8 is sharper because of the possibility of camera movement, focus miss, and DOF making the subject generally having more sharpness if it's a 3D object reasonably close. A good test would need something flat and a tripod. I have used a tripod some in some of these tests with this lens, but I'd have trouble identifying those images in retrospect at this point.

Sep 14, 2017 at 04:02 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password